X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does kava kava dry out your eyes?

Hi there!
    I'm still looking for a medication against depression and anxiety which doesn't dry out my eyes...This is not easy:-(
    Has anyone tried kava kava? It's a herbal drug and helps against depression, aniety and even pain...It's not available in Germany, so I have to order it from another country. Before I do this I want to make sure if it could be a good drug for me:-)
    Please don't hesitate to correct my English - I'm still learning

Hi Susie,

I don't know about kava kava. My 'natural' pharmacist has reccommended that I take something called 5-HTP. It is a serotonin precursor. There is lots of information about it on the web, but I have not seen anything linking it to dry eye. My pharmacist does not believe it would dry out the eyes. Have you thought of St. John;s wort? I understand that it is a popular herbal anti-depressant used often in Europe.

I have been told that with any anti=depressant it is hit and miss. Some people may develop dry eye, others not. It is entirely individual.

Best of luck to you. I understand your concerns.

Comment

Hi Susie - I have used Kava Kava. I was not actively suffering from dry eye at the time so I did not try to find out if it had any side effects pertaining to DES. For me, it just made me tired and I used it prior to going to bed. It can have a somewhat relaxing effect but I would hesitate to take it during the day because of how sleepy it made me feel. I don't think it would have any effect on depression, at least not for me; my regular (not eye) doctor had mentioned Kava to me as something to help me relax/sleep. As far as drying side effects, I am just not sure. Sorry!

Comment

Thank you

Thanks a lot for your answers!!
        I already considered 5HTP, but this drug is (like Kava Kava) forbidden in Germany. (how stupid!!!;-)) There is a drug available in Germany, which is similar to 5HTP: L-Tryptophan. Perhaps I'll try this before I try to get Kava-Kava via the internet or a person who travels to the USA.
        your right, St. Johns wort is very popular in Germany. But: this drug is not compatible with the birth control pill (I don't want to get pregnant;-)) and is stimulating. I need a tranquilizer, because I'm very anxious. so I thougt kava kava would be the best because it's a chilling drug:-)
        but i think I'll try this L-Tryptophan first, this is available in my country:-)
        I'll tell you in a few weeks how it works!

Comment

Another herb you might look into...

is Rhodiola. I just bought some but haven't tried it yet. It's supposed to help with fatique, depression and anxiety. Everything I read about it says pretty much zero side effects.

Comment

Funny Thing

I did some researches in the internet and found out, that L-Tryptophan, the drug which is available in Germany and is very similar to 5HTP is forbidden in the USA. And 5HTP (which is available in the USA) on the other side is forbidden in Germany... who sould understand this;-)?
            I bought L-Tryptophan yesterday and it has a very good influence on my sleep. I slept all night trough which is great. I hope that it will work against my anxiety and depression, too. I'll report in a few weeks how it works:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Susie28 View Post
              Hi there!
              I'm still looking for a medication against depression and anxiety which doesn't dry out my eyes...This is not easy:-(
              Has anyone tried kava kava? It's a herbal drug and helps against depression, aniety and even pain...It's not available in Germany, so I have to order it from another country. Before I do this I want to make sure if it could be a good drug for me:-)
              I have tried Kava Kava, and I found it irritating to my eyes - I looked up its side effects and they include "red, irritated eyes". Lately, I have been using 5HTP and I believe it may actually be helping my dry eyes. I was just looking on the internet today before I came on here to see if there is any correlation in the research, but so far I haven't found any info.

Comment

Great success with L-Tryptophan

Hi there!
                I just want to let you know that I'm having great success with L-Tryptophan. This drug can be bought without prescription in Germany. There's no drying side effect and the drug does a great job. I can sleep all night through EVERY night*yeah*, I'm in a very good mood and my anxiety is lower and under control. I'm so happy, after over 6 months I've found an antidepressant (AND anti-anxiety drug AND sleep-helper) which doesn't dry out my eyes!!
                I hope this can help you, too! I don't know if you can get L-Tryptophan in the USA (I've read something about a prohibition of this drug in the USA, but I don't know if this is still uptodate), but I'm quite sure that you can get 5HTP, which is very similar to L-Tryptophan (but with a few more side effects regarding the stomach - but NO drying side effects!!:-))

Comment

Working...
                X