This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singular - Allergy medication

According to my ENT doctor Singular is not going to cause dry eye because it works differntly from other antihistamines. My allergies are horrible to the point that I only breath with one side of the nose.
    Is any of you taking any allergy medication that won't cause dry eyes?
    Another one ASTELIN is an allergy medication that you spray in the nose but list eye pain as side effect. Comments please...
    Dr eyes caused by long term contact lens wear

I take Singulair (did you check the spelling; at least that's what's it's called here in France) in any case it's montelukast 10 mg pill.
    I haven't noticed any DE side-effect, but my DE is so terrible that i wonder if I would notice anything...
    Good to hear that this mechanism is allegedly less (or not) drying.
    Last edited by kakinda; 12-Feb-2007, 03:13. Reason: typo

Comment

I take Singulair as needed. My doctor indicated that this medication would not aggravate dry eyes. It hasn't bothered mine. I also use a prescription nasal spray, Nasonex, to help with my allergy related nasal congestion.

Comment

Hello,

It is EXCITING to hear there is a medication to treat allergies that does not appear to aggravate dry eyes. I've had many sinus infections over the last year (almost continually) and have taken antibiotics at least three or four times which scares me. In addition, my doc was prescribing allergy scripts to help dry up my sinuses, however, I refused to take them due to the fear of how dry my eyes would become (as if they aren't already)... Anyway, I seem to be doing much better with the sinus stuff right now, but will be sure to remember Singulair may be a possibility for treatment when the next sinus infection hits!

Comment

Actually , my first ophtalmologist wanted me to take Singulair (montelukast 10 mg) to help with teh inflamation of my eyelids. His theory was that my dry eyes were allergy related. I didn't take it during that time b/c I was scared to take any rx meds but now I started taking it (today) b/c my allergies are so bad I can't breath! I will let you know how it goes with this med.
          Dr eyes caused by long term contact lens wear

Comment

According to my ENT doctor Singular is not going to cause dry eye because it works differntly from other antihistamines. My allergies are horrible to the point that I only breath with one side of the nose...
            Another one ASTELIN is an allergy medication that you spray in the nose but list eye pain as side effect. Comments please...
            I've been on Singulair for asthma for over a year without a problem. It is not an anti-histamine. I've found that Astelin can make you drowsy after you take it, which is a know side-effect.

If you want help with nasal passage congestion try the Neilmed sinsus rinse, www.neilmed.com. My allergist recommended it to me when I had a cold. I bought mine at CVS (be sure to use distilled water with it). I found it very helpful.

Comment

Maria1972, I will look forward to hearing how your allergies react to Singulair as well as how it affects or does not affect your dry eyes!

Kurt, Thanks for your input. I will definitely check out the "Neilmed sinus rinse" next time I have sinus issues!

Comment

Working...
              X