This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stimulants

Has anyone with DES ever taken stimulants for ADHD or narcolepsy like ritalin, adderall, or provigial? I am supposed to take one, but from experience I've found that ritalin and adderall certainly seem to dry my eyes out more, and I haven't tried provigil yet. Anyone tried any of these three, or have advice about how to manage the dry eye side effects of them?

I haven't taken adderall or ritalin, but I have taken provigil. I haven't noticed any more dryness than usual while on it but I have not read a provigil package insert to find out it that is a possible side effect. Take care, DN

Comment

Hi, I dont want in any way sub for your physician job and please forgive me if i sound intrusive but i've witnessed one bad case of adderal abuse and i really think that drug is evil.. personally I would stay miles away from it. You can find many reports on erowid about adderal (im not sure if im allowed to name the site) and make your own opinion about it. I've a feeling many times these drugs are prescribed too superficially. Sorry once again but I had to write it!

Comment

stimulants&ADHD

I took Ritalin for about 2 years, every day quite a lot.
        I probably never had ADHD (even though I was told by one neurologist).
        Well, back then I didn't have a problem with dry eyes. It occured after my Keratitis and since then I feel, when I take Ritalin (maybe once a month) that it does have an effect on my eyes. But if you just try it out, it won't hurt your eyes.

@majorglory:
        Please! name the site and tell us about your friend. It's important to share these kind of experience. I also made extremely bad experience with Ritalin but probably because I never had ADHD in the first place..
        (you can also send me a private message if you like)

Thanks,
        Katy

Comment

Originally posted by Majorglory View Post
          (im not sure if im allowed to name the site)
          If you mean from a DEZ policy standpoint, no problem at all, but thanks for checking!
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Stimulants and dry eyes

I took Dexamphetamine (Dexedrine),

It did dry my eyes out a lot. I have switched to Ritalin and am hoping for a better responce...

I guess we will see.

Comment

Onward to ritalin

I went to the doctor yesterday and he gave me a prescription for Ritalin.

The pharmacy called and said my order was ready for pick up. I have been stalling though because I'm so scared its going to be just as bad, if not worse, on my as dexamphetamine was.

I'm sure I'll get around to getting it at some point today... later...

*Dry eye sucks!*

Comment

stimulants and dry eye - provigil

Hi - I'm new here; my dry eye is probably age-related and drug-side-effect related. Someone on this thread mentioned Provigil - a relatively new alertness drug that is not a traditional stimulant but is being used for daytime sleepiness, shift workers, jet lag, narcolepsy and so on. Its use is growing rapidly; I've been taking it for about 6 years and it has been a godsend because i've had a long history of daytime drowsiness.
                But there are MANY reports of dry eye associated with Provigil (or Nuvigil, a newer but similar version). I can say for almost certain it is a big factor in my DES, but it's hard to stop taking it completely. I'm currently really trying to minimize the dose and it seems to be helping.
                This is just to alert people who may be taking it or thinking about taking it that this is a common side effect.
                richard

Comment

Working...
                X