This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives for Blood Pressure Meds

Has anyone ever heard of alternatives to taking blood pressure medications. My eyes got dryer after starting them. Dr. Sall says all of the BP meds do that.
    GOGO

Blood Pressure medicine

I notice my dry eyes started around the time I was put on blood pressure medicine too, but my doctor insisted that this was not possible. It seems like too much of a coincidence really. I would love to find a better alternative myself. It would be great to know if there are others that have minimal side effects. I am taking 10mg of Zestril, which is not that strong, but obviously I need it. I don't know if there are any natural products out there that would work as well.

Comment

Heart meds and dry eyes

What really pizzzzzzzzzzes me off is that my doctor knew I took a beta-blocker before I had lasik. I still take a beta-blocker. Do they think having lasik will solve your heart problems? Sorry about being sarcastic here. I've been told by many of the docs I've consulted about my med which "can cause dry eyes." Perhaps a heart attack would be better than dry eyes?

I know other meds can be substituted for others. But, why or why, didn't our ophthalmologists look into this option before lasik? If you took anti-depressants before lasik, do they think lasik would cure the depression and you'd no longer need the meds (that can cause dry eyes)? Forgive my rant.

Luce......get hold of yourself and settle down.
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Meds

Yep, I can sympathize. I took antihistamines for allergies. Now I have to tough it out. I also used another med that caused dry eyes and dry mouth. No more. All on my records. But did they tell me that even mild dry eyes could be impacted by meds I was ALREADY taking? Noooooooooo!
        Of all the things I get angry at....that makes me the angriest.

Comment

More

I wonder how many people would get Lasik if the pre-Lasik consult included something like this:
          "There are many meds out there that someday you may need to take (or already are) that cause dry eyes/mouth. Even if your eyes are not that dry after Lasik, if you should ever need to take these meds you may have to choose between painful dry eyes or life enhancing medicine. And since the aging process will cause your eyes to dry out also, and the meds you might need will probably come with age, that's a double whammy."
          I know I would have gone running straight out of the room. I cringe when I hear happy Lasikees saying how it was all worth it....they only have to put drops in a couple times a day and it is worth it to not have glasses. They don't have a clue.

Comment

I know of a couple of post-LASIK dry eye sufferers among us who need antidepressants badly and will not use them due to increased dryness. Another crime.

Why is it, though, that when I offer all this info up to people contemplating LASIK they ignore me and do it anyway?
            Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

by dianat:
              Why is it, though, that when I offer all this info up to people contemplating LASIK they ignore me and do it anyway?
              Because they don't think it will happen to them. Most likely it won't. Thank goodness.
              Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Is there an alternative to anti-depressants? homeopathic?

Comment

Originally posted by jcorbett
                  I need help in this direction too. I am taking 2 5HTP (50mg) at night(supposed to increase seratonin) but they don't seem to help in the daytime. I've tried St John's Wort but read somewhere that it can give one a dry mouth and I was not getting much help from it. I cannot take SSRIs as I get agitation and they contribute to the dry eye problem anyway. I have some clonazapam tablets but only resort to them when I am really bad as they can be addictive.
                  I go to the Gym and work off my frustration and hopefully produce some endorphins. Being very active and with company helps. I do voluntary work at the Primary School with kids with reading problems and that also helps.
                  Accupuncture can help depression too.
                  When the going gets tough - the tough get going!

Comment

Originally posted by jcorbett
                    The only thing I've heard of is Kava Kava. I tried it. It didn't work. But it's worth a try. My eyes were all ready dry and cauterized (right lower) when I was put on BP meds. I had the worse month I'd had in two years. I thought, "What's new? They only thing is statins and BP meds." I asked my new ophthtalmologist he said, "It's the BP meds." I called Dr. Sall he said, "It's the BP meds."

I'm off of them now until the cataract surgery heals. I'm just too dry and it doesn't want to heal. I REFUSE to take the BP meds until the doctor makes sure my plug is either there or not and replaces it with something until the Port plug is approved or I acquiesce (sp?) to cauterize that lower punctum.

I just contacted my vitamin store. He said since I'm off the BP meds right now would be perfect timing to try an alternative. He recommended I try two or three products:

1: "Blood pressure Control" it is a C12 peptide (I don't know what that is). He
                    said it also has a calming affect but will not make you sleepy or unable to
                    work.

2. Vitacore Plus Relavant this is to bring my pulse rate down. Mine is over 90 and in stressful situations such as surgery it climbs.

He is holding them for me. I'll monitor and let everyone now what happens. Don't know when I'll get there to pick up but I'll start monitoring without and see what happens when I start. My own clinical study LOL LOL LOL.
                    Last edited by Gogo; 17-Aug-2005, 15:13.
                    GOGO

Comment

Natural stress relief

This is a great alternative to anti-depressants. It is a natural product that works. It is worth a try, considering the alternatives.

http://www.l-theanine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Gaye
                        This is a great alternative to anti-depressants. It is a natural product that works. It is worth a try, considering the alternatives.

http://www.l-theanine.com/
                        Gaye have you personally tried this? Did you have any side affects. I do drink green tea. I notice a soothing affect with it. Will green tea alone do the job or would I, in your personal opinion, gain more by using this product. I'm assuming I purchase it at the health store.

I'm checking into alternatives to lower blood pressure at the health store. I let you know what I find.

Gogo
                        GOGO

Comment

Don't forget

As we are all so desperate to find help for our dry eyes, and try just about anything.........please remember.........we can do harm to ourselves!

It's easy to recommend stuff on bb's, but please make sure we each talk with our own doctors about a product we may take is something we should consider. I know places are already getting our $$ in big chunks because we are willing to try anything.

Lucy
                          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

alternatives for blood pressure medicine

Hello GoGo - yes, I take the Theanine every day before bed and I find it very relaxing. It helps me fall asleep faster. I have taken it for over a year now and I have no side effects from it at all. It is available at most health food stores. I am sure GNC carries it and they would have good information about it too.

Hello Lucy - you are absolutely right about not doing something crazy, like stopping our blood pressure medicine for the sake of our dry eyes. I would rather have dry eyes than have a stroke or kidney failure from uncontrolled blood pressure. Unfortunately, most physicians don't have much interest or knowledge of natural remedies. It is always good to make sure you know what you are taking and that it won't cause other problems.

Comment

My pain doctor recommended the theanine for me and I even bought a bottle from him. I've yet to try it since I became wary of it during pregnancy. I'll give it a try some day, though. I'm glad to know it is effective.
                              Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Working...
                              X