X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tetnis shot?

Hi all,

I can't say for sure but nothing else fits the circumstances. I recently had to go in for a Tetnis shot (rusty nail in the foot through my shoe). For the next 2 days I had worse than the usual problems with dry eyes. Not that we should avoid the shots. I was also given an antibiotic for a bacteria that thrives in the rubber soles of shoes, but I purposely waited to start this to seperate and distinguish the effects of both. After two days my eyes returned to "my normal state". I then started the antibiotics and noticed no further changes.

Side note: I was informed you have up to 72 hours to get the shot. My Dr.s office co-pay was cheaper than the emergency rooms.

There's a bacteria that thrives in rubber soles?!

Regarding your experience...I know nothing of tetanus except that shot is nasty and painful. I'm ignorant regarding its immediate systemic effects. Still, nothing would surprise me with regard to what might aggravate DES.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Hi Diana,

Yes I was quite surprised to learn this myself. When I went to the Dr. she specifically asked what type of shoe or work boot I was wearing. When I produced a hiking shoe with a rubber sole she said she was more concerned with the fact it was a rubber sole than the rusty nail that entered my foot. Five days on a nasty tasting anti-biotic and I assme all is well. And yes you are right the shot feels like you were punched in the arm for about 3-4 days. I would rather get the shot once a day for the rest of my life and twice on holidays than to have to deal with the dry eyes though.

Comment

Ditto on the shot thing. I might also risk the dreaded "rubber sole" poisoning if it meant healthy eyes.

So why is it that when we deal with side effects of a drug or physical condition, the risk is never, "...may increase tear production and meibomian gland output..." ????
        Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Working...
        X