This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pain killers - do they aggrevate DES?

Unfortunately, 6 weeks ago, I fell down the stairs and hurt my foot very badly, and am still suffering pain with it, so am regularly taking pain killers. I normally manage with ibuprofen and paracetamol, but have been taking the stronger ones night time - co codamol and diclafenac, and I've noticed my eyes are far worse when I've taken them. Is there any ingredient that particularly aggrevates DES and has anbody else found this?

Hi Sally,

Yes, when I have taken pain killers or anxiety meds for a period of time-I too have gotten drier eyes.. My Dr. advised me that all these types of pills affect the tear film.. I started taking xanax daily and after 3 weeks I really had horrible dry eyes.. I weaned off and about 2 weeks later my eyes went back to 'normal' for me.. Now I only take something if I absolutely have too ....Don't worry, once you are off of them give it about a week and your eyes should start to feel better.
    Jenny

Comment

Hi Jenny

Thanks for that. It's the lesser of the two evils then. My eyes are really bad, and I think weighing it up, I'd rather suffer the pain, as this is just unbearable, but nice to know that if I discontinue them, my eyes will get back to normal, whatever "normal" is these days! Thanks again.

Comment

Try naproxen, if you haven't already. For me (and several other people) it actually reduces the severity of des symptoms. (and of course it works on the actual pain, haha)

Of course, because if the GI risk, it's barely viable to take on a long term basis for dry eyes.

Comment

Nahzee, thanks for that, will look into it, as had another unbearable night/morning, both pain wise, and dry eyes!! Very depressing.

Comment

only just noticed this thread...I too suspect pain meds of making my eyes worse.

I've been taking co-codamol (with codeine in it) prescribed by GP partly for arthritic pain in my neck, but also for my eye pain. Quite recently, I realised it was doing nothing for my eyes, and not much for my neck either...and although all the reference books say it's not meant to cause dry eye, my optometrist reckons it's quite likely - it's well known to cause dry mouth, so not a million miles away!

Anyway, I'm currently reducing my dose of this drug - unfortunately been taking it so long my body has got so used to it I can't just stop....so far, can't really feel any difference, but time will tell.

Will post any updates when I have something to report.

Comment

Eva B

Thanks for your reply. As soon as I stopped taking the codeine based tablets, my eyes got back to very bad, instead of extremely bad!!! I would say, from my experience, that there was a link

Comment

Working...
              X