Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am about two years out from my surgery and still struggle with painful dry eyes. I feel likeI was not given good information by my doctors and I am very angry with them still, but honestly have to say that I have made progress in my emotional healing. This conditions has its ups and downs, but I am hopeful that things will improve either naturally or that new treatments will be developed.

My OD thinks that treatments that actually work are being researched and worked on - his take is that even though there are expensive options that don't work, if there was a "cure" for dry eyes it would be really lucrative for the company that makes it.

I made lots of progress this summer, but have been feeling the pain lately!

Comment

The reason LASIK surgeons don't publicize LASIK-induced dry eye problems is because they are looking to make money off the surgery. Remember, you "qualify" for LASIK by showing a valid credit card.

Comment

Ditto what the last poster said!!

I think after 21 years of contact use, even though to me my eyes didn't feel dry, I am sure the doctor must have seen at least a bit of dryness. I know I had a little bit of light sensitivity and tiredness sometimes. I told him all this but he still thought the surgery was worth the risk...for HIM anyway.

But alas, I will not dwell. Things have improved and I have an awesome life anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by MyDryEyes View Post

My OD thinks that treatments that actually work are being researched and worked on - his take is that even though there are expensive options that don't work, if there was a "cure" for dry eyes it would be really lucrative for the company that makes it.
          There is a cure for dry eyes, and not only one. However, the sad truth is that if a company starts producing it, it will be much less lucrative for it or for any other involved in manufacturing dry eye products. It is much better for their profit that patients be hooked for life on many kinds of expensive options (drops, ointments, lenses, goggles, supplements, secretagogues, antibiotics,the list is endless) that either don't work or only slow down the deterioration. Remember, most doctors still believe that dry eye is about annoying irritation, they do not consider it a debilitating or life threatening or disabling condition. I think they should be doing a lot of reconsideration of this view. But alas, if it is against the profits, the Hippocrates oath is not applicable. Money rules... and it does so most where pain is involved.

Comment

Originally posted by ringo View Post
            There is a cure for dry eyes, and not only one.
            You know, much as I agree with your attitude about pharmaceutical companies (!) I really feel I have to challenge this statement.

All of us on the board must be careful about drawing that delicate line between personal experience (including observations & anecdotes) and broad-brush generalizations for the population. I have known plenty of people to get completely better from dry eye but a blanket statement like "there is a cure" suggests that all, or nearly all can be cured with something known right now. I don't believe evidence supports this at the present time.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Dear Rebecca,

I compeltely agree. But when i stated that there is a cure for dry eye, i was not referring to anecdotal evidence or personal experiences. I was referring to extensive evidence from medical research on a few substances which presently are very hard to obtain even from compounding pharmacies, but have proven very high efficacy in treating dry eye.

Regarding my personal experience-- i have it with the least efficacious of these ... namely cyclosporine 0.2%. A couple of days ago I had an 8 hours flight in an extremely dry very highly air conditioned aircraft of Qatar airways, and did not have to use a single artificial tear drop.

Before the cyclosporine 0.2 if I went on a flight, I had to apply lubricating gels virtually every twenty minutes, the pain was so unbearable. I am not saying everyone should start using it, i am only sharing my experience and/or knowledge like everyone on the forum.

I and my doctor got the idea of this cyclosporine ointment from this forum, and it worked better than anything else. It is even rapidly resolving my severe problem with filamentary keratitis. The drugs i previously used were providing comfort from it, but in no way treating it. All i know is that it helped me stop gradually the steroids and the NSAIDs and the tons of artificial tears and other drugs.

I was diagnosed with a very severe dry eye....i mentioned before I have been hospitalized because of severe damage to the eye surface and complete inability to tolerate the pain with closed or open eyes, or tolerate the pain of anything going into it, even the mildest artificial unpreserved tears. I had to resign from my job and be prescribed very aggressive treatments just to cope.

Thanks to the invaluable ideas in this forum I am so much better than what I became even with the aggressive treatment I had before the cyclosporine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                You know, much as I agree with your attitude about pharmaceutical companies (!) I really feel I have to challenge this statement.

All of us on the board must be careful about drawing that delicate line between personal experience (including observations & anecdotes) and broad-brush generalizations for the population. I have known plenty of people to get completely better from dry eye but a blanket statement like "there is a cure" suggests that all, or nearly all can be cured with something known right now. I don't believe evidence supports this at the present time.
                I agree! I tend to agree too but its like saying they found a cure for aids of cancer but want to make the money off the meds! I think they dont have enough research in our field(eyes) to have a cure! I know my dry eye dr is one of the best in the country and still has all he can do just to help me and sometimes treats me for free?????

Comment

Working...
                X