Clinical study about recovery of corneal sensitivity after LASIK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clinical study about recovery of corneal sensitivity after LASIK

Cyclosporine. Eye Drops. Loss of Corneal Sensitivity After LASIK.
    LASIK Eye Surgeons from the University of Arizona, Arizona State University, Manicopa Hospital and Associated Retinal Consultants, in Phoenix, Arizona; from University of Illinois Eye and Ear Infirmary, Chicago, Illinois; and from Centro Láser, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic; observed twenty two patients to determine whether 0.5% cyclosporine eye drops may be utilized to facilitate faster recovery of corneal sensitivity after LASIK.

The LASIK Eye Surgery researchers, including Dr Gholam A Peyman who “has a patent pending neuronal regeneration”; have concluded:

“Cyclosporine 0.5% was shown to significantly improve corneal sensitivity at 3 months after LASIK, which suggests that topical cyclosporine promotes enhanced corneal nerve regeneration.”1

The LASIK researchers from Phoenix, Chicago and Santo Domingo have also noted:

•“This prospective, randomized, single-center clinical study comprised 44 eyes of 22 patients scheduled to undergo bilateral LASIK.”
    •“One eye was randomly assigned to receive cyclosporine drops twice daily for 3 months in addition to standard postoperative LASIK medication.”
    •“Corneal sensitivity was measured using the Cochet-Bonnet esthesiometer in four areas outside and five areas inside the LASIK flap preoperatively and at 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, and 3 months postoperatively. Safety parameters of best spectacle-corrected visual acuity and the incidence of adverse events were also collected. “
    •“For all four points outside the LASIK flap, normal corneal sensitivity was maintained throughout the study.”
    •“In addition, no significant difference was found between the cyclosporine-treated eyes and the control eyes at these points.”
    •“All points within the LASIK flap except the point closest to the hinge demonstrated profound corneal hypoesthesia at 1 day, 1 week, and 1 month postoperatively with no differences noted between the control and cyclosporine-treated eyes.”
    •“These same points had statistically significantly greater corneal sensitivity in the cyclosporine group relative to the control group (P≤.011) at 3 months postoperatively.”

I would like to see the results 3 years later - 3 months strikes me as being way too short a time span to be meaningful.

Comment

One study etc

I am no doctor but from what I've been able to figure out in recent years is that national news services seem to enjoy nothing better than to put out so-called news about a new study on some medical procedure or treatment that seems to be the latest great thing.

After such debacles as Fosamax (which can cause necrosis of the bone) and Paxil (which tends to cause physical addiction from which it is often impossible to escape) and many other instances, some being pharmaceuticals which had to be completely withdrawn after many years of use, I now believe that most of these so-called news items are just basically sales promotions (distortions) masquerading as news and based on studies which are grossly inadequate and should never have been mentioned until several other supporting studies produce similar results. Advertising pharmaceuticals was illegal for many years and should have stayed that way. I even saw pharmaceuticals being advertised in a hospital setting! America - what a country!

Comment

Working...
      X