This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me decide....

I am a 59 year old female diabetic. I suffer from RCE's, am very nearsighted with astigmatism (L -6.50 and R -4.50) and have meibomian gland issues.

PRK has been recommended to me to fix my corneas and as a side benefit to go ahead and fix my vision.

I've had the Shirmer Test and all's okay -- I live every night with Muro 128 Ointment and hope I won't have a morning RCE.

Should I do this PRK procedure? I'm so "on the fence" about it, I really don't know which way to turn.

Not really so sure about PRK surgery but know that there are some on here that have experience and knowledge in that area. I just want to say that after having my life destroyed by lasik eye surgery I would suggest that you only let an opthamologist touch your eyes if it is absolutely medically necessary (for things such as cataracts for example) - since my surgery I've heard many many horror stories about bad results from lasik and prk. I really think that if contacts and glasses are working for your vision right now continue to use them over any eye surgery. Can PRK really be good for RCE's? I would think that it would only do more damage then good.

Comment

You have dry eyes and you are diabetic ? What doctor thinks PRK is a good ide` ? and why ? I do not know much about RCE but i think you should look for another doctor for a second opinion.

Comment

Hi, Alpha642.

I am also a sufferer of RCEs, and I have avoided surgery, but I wanted to direct you to a thread on another board where patients discuss PTK and PRK for this problem to help you make a better decision:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/s...&highlight=rce

Of course, the thread is not a conversation among doctors and is all anecdotal and not scientific.

Best wishes,
        Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron77 View Post
          Not really so sure about PRK surgery but know that there are some on here that have experience and knowledge in that area. I just want to say that after having my life destroyed by lasik eye surgery I would suggest that you only let an opthamologist touch your eyes if it is absolutely medically necessary (for things such as cataracts for example) - since my surgery I've heard many many horror stories about bad results from lasik and prk. I really think that if contacts and glasses are working for your vision right now continue to use them over any eye surgery. Can PRK really be good for RCE's? I would think that it would only do more damage then good.
          Thank you for responding. I've been to two nationally known ophthalmologists -- and they are both recommending ASA or "resurfacing" of the corneas. I have never worn contacts but the RCE's really drive me crazy. I do have the beginnings of cataracts -- so eventually will have to have those done anyway. This is a very hard decision.

Comment

Originally posted by liz56 View Post
            Hi, Alpha642.

I am also a sufferer of RCEs, and I have avoided surgery, but I wanted to direct you to a thread on another board where patients discuss PTK and PRK for this problem to help you make a better decision:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/s...&highlight=rce

Of course, the thread is not a conversation among doctors and is all anecdotal and not scientific.

Best wishes,
            Liz
            Thank you -- I will check it out.

Comment

Working...
            X