Laser surgery one year anniversary on Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser surgery one year anniversary on Saturday

WARNING TO READERS - This is a long post. Sorry.

Saturday will mark one year since PRK surgery. I never would have guessed I would be in such a scary, strange place one year after my surgery.

Rebecca warned me that the one year marker can be really tough, and boy is she right. What makes it so tough is that I am still really struggling, physically, mentally and emotionally. And it doesn't help that I am a worrier by nature!!

It is such a vicious cycle - the horrible dryness causes allergies, the allergy drop causes pain, go off the allergy drop and have the horrible allergy symptoms come back, but still experience painfully sore eyes. Will I ever find answers and figure this out?

And I am so different. My whole body is different. I have gained weight, my skin is ruddy and sallow, my self-confidence is shot. My runners body is gone. My hair is thinning and breaking. Yet, I am taking so many supplements and vitamins my pocket book is seriously suffering. I can't remember the last time I read before bedtime. I have to fake a smile. And try not to be to bothered by the people that stare at me with my fancy goggles on. I constantly live on the verge of tears. I live every day at wits end. I feel really old at the age of 32!! The only thing that I really look forward to anymore is being able to lay on the couch, eyes closed while listening to an audio book. I go through the motions of doing normal every day activities, but it is a joyless experience filled with the discomfort of sore, painfully dry eyes.

I never thought I would have extreme fear of wind, ceiling fans, air conditioners, heaters, sun, hot weather, arid climates, airplanes and shopping malls.

I look at people that I love and adore and I feel jealous and envious. Jealous of the normal life they live - starting families, going to graduate school, planning vacations without once thinking about their eyes or wondering how much pain and discomfort the day might bring. All of those normal thing seem so far out of reach right now.

A small piece of me still hopes that I can get back to a complete level of normal. But the bigger, more realistic piece of me just prays for a manageable place. A place where I am happy to get out of bed in the morning and not have the very first thought be about my eyes, my eyes. My poor, painful eyes.

I MUST, however, end this post on a positive note. I did go camping this weekend and my eyes did okay! Not perfect, but I managed. I even went on a three-hour rafting trip. AND had some fun with a little sadness and grief mixed in. Plus, my wonderful, darling husband even said that he was so impressed with the courage it must have taken for me to get in that raft after 5 months of being totally house-bound. So, I guess it is all a matter of baby steps. I am hopeful, that if I just keep trying, that my situation will improve and my energy will come back. Maybe, if I stick with it, my life will be normal again.

AND THANKS to all of you for your words of encouragement and this wonderful BB. Thanks for all the personal emails, phone calls and visits that have kept me going through this difficult time. And you should expect that I will be asking for more!!

And THANK YOU Rebecca for making this your life's work.

I couldn't get through this time without DEZ.

Nicole

Nicole, thanks for posting this poignant letter. It should be required reading of anyone about to undergo refractive surgery. Without embellishment, you put things nicely so others can understand your grief and pain.

Your post is a very good example of how the average patient with a painful, less than desirable outcome feels. I think you have made a great deal of recovery so far! The rafting incident is only the beginning. You'll have more and better memories to replace the pain. You must push yourself a little to do things you may not feel like doing. Perhaps getting back to your running would be a good idea? I used to force myself to take some exercise when it felt like I couldn't take another step.

Keep us posted on your progress. (((((((((((Nicole))))))))))))) Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

This post describes me exactly. I am amazed at how wholly this poor lasik outcome has changed my life for the worse. The amount of anxiety, fear, and gut-wrenching sadness and regret is nearly impossible to explain to anyone.

I'm hoping that MDE and I can run a race together someday soon, and talk about our progress and sucesses along the way.

Thanks for posting this -- I think it qualifies for a sticky --

Comment

Hi Nicole,

Your post reminded me exactly of how I felt on my one year anniversary. I think once I crossed that hurdle, that is when I started to heal emotionally. I think a part of me stopped hoping for complete normalcy, and decided that I needed to get on with my life no matter what was going to happen with my eyes, I just needed to make some adjustments to it. It sounds like you are ready to start down that road as well, and I know things will get easier for you. Your eyes still have time to heal, but as you are able to stop obsessing over them, your emotional healing will start too. Take advantage of the good times, and take good care of yourself during the bad ones.

That is great that you went camping and rafting. It's not an overnight process, but eventually you will lose yourself in some of the activities that you love, and you will realize you've gone 10 minutes without thinking about your eyes. That will turn into 30 minutes, a few hours, a day, etc. The healing time is different for all of us, but what seems common to most of us that have gone through this is that we do eventually "heal" and find joy again. At my one year mark I hit rock bottom, yet at my two year mark I had made so much progress emotionally. I just passed my 3 year mark 2 weeks ago. It was emotional for me but only because it was such a relief to know that I had my life back. Hang in there, and keep up your activites. Your husband is right, you should be proud that you are getting back out there. Things will get easier.

-Shells

Comment

God bless you, Nicole. I know where you are and where you've been. One day you'll realize how strong you've been all this time and how much better you are than that one year mark. Keep up the all this hard work and you'll come out great on the other end one day.

And do continue to enjoy the activities. One day the grief and regret will no longer work its way into your joyful times.

Diana
          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

I know exactly know you feel. I feel the same despair and sadness as you - constanly worrying about my dry eyes and how i will cope in certain situations. I avoid most social situations now and have become a bit of a recluse. My eyes just can't handle it - they dry out soo quickly.

And to top it all off - I don't know the reason for my dry eyes (and neither do the eye doctors), that makes it a whole lot more frustrating. I have Eye Doctors telling me "its just one of those things, theres no reason for it and no cure".. Those kind of statements really drive me around the bend. I've even post-phoned my wedding because it - i got engaged this time last year but i've been under such a cloud of hopelessess, depression and suffering since this happened that i don't even have the motivation to get out of bed in the morning never mind plan a wedding.

Comment

Thanks everybody for the kind words of encouragement. Your stories give me hope for the future!!

Lboogie - I hear you!! Crossing the finish line with you will be a momentous occasion. It is something I can imagine when I am in that dark place and it gives me hope. Thanks for all of your support. You rock. Guess I better start dragging myself onto the treadmill.

Acarol - ((((((((HUGS)))))))!!!! Here is a quote for you: "So, whenever a doctor tells you that you have an incurable or fatal disease, look him squarely in the eye and tell him--- ---! (whatever is your favorite expletive). Then go out and find yourself another doctor-one who believes in the body and not in the disease." Lawrence Badgley, M.D.

I think that wedding bells are definitely in your future and it will be even more joyous than you could imagine right now. We will get there. Lets hang in there together!!

Nicole

Comment

Thanks Nicole - that is such a great quote. I'll keep that in mind when i'm faced with those 'brilliant' Doctors again..
                I try to stay positive but i'm just sitting here thinking here comes another wasted weekend!!

Comment

Mde

Your words are like those ripped out of my diary. I can totally relate how you feel with your dry eye. SInce my DE I gave up my job, my apartment, my friends and moved back home. I can't explain how devastating it is to lose all that in a matter of months. I wondered and still wonder how I will continue on with my dry eyes in the setting of all that loss. The truth is that without this website and others like it I probably wouldn't or won't.
                  I admire you and all the others on this board we pick up the pieces and continue to press on despite the challenges we face.
                  If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

Nicole, this is a moving post. I’m pleased that you are renewing your outdoor activities, even if for now they are only a shadow of past adventures. I hope that you will find happy moments this weekend enjoying life’s simple pleasures. Overall, I am impressed by your coping skills at this one-year mark, as well as your ability to ask for help when you need it. I firmly believe that better days are in store for you. / best, mary (your friend in Pennsylvania)

Comment

Working...
                    X