Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new redness reducing eye drops with no rebound!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new redness reducing eye drops with no rebound!

hi all,

has anyone heard of this? http://visionplusmag.fourplusmedia.com/?p=1134

there are new eye drops that reduce redness with no rebound. I think they just passed phase two and has been licensed to baucsh and Lomb.

there are several articles about this if you google ...ocular redness bausch Lomb...

http://www.revophth.com/content/d/ne...vents/c/40162/

you can also check out this...

http://www.linkedin.com/in/ophthalmo...ent?_mSplash=1

while there may never be a cure for red eye sufferers, this may be as close as we can get to living normal lives again.

if anyone knows anything about clinical trials, I'd love your opinion on when this might hit the market. I know drugs for cancer and such could take years or decades but this would seem like a simple straight forward phase three trial and then FDA approval.

The active ingredient is brimonidine. Brimonidine is a vasoconstrictor. It's already available in a glaucoma eyedrop called Alphagan-P. The difference with these new B&L drops is they say it's "low dose brimonidine".

Comment

Originally posted by spmcc View Post
      The active ingredient is brimonidine. Brimonidine is a vasoconstrictor. It's already available in a glaucoma eyedrop called Alphagan-P. The difference with these new B&L drops is they say it's "low dose brimonidine".
      thanks for the reply...

http://www.revophth.com/content/d/th...opics/c/35994/

this article claims that while it is a vasoconstrictor , it doesn't lose its effectiveness with daily use and doesn't have rebound. I wonder if it is too good to be true. they do say they are repurposing a glaucoma drug for eye whitening.

Comment

This kind of scares me as my problem started with overuse of visine. I know it's different and I would honestly probably use it if it was approved but not chronically as I did with the visine..

Any ideas when they plan for it to be out??

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1989 View Post
          This kind of scares me as my problem started with overuse of visine. I know it's different and I would honestly probably use it if it was approved but not chronically as I did with the visine..

Any ideas when they plan for it to be out??
          I did a little research on FDA approvals and if I were to take a very uneducated guess, I'd say we are a minimum of a year away...but I really have no idea and was wondering if others had a more sound guess. b and l bought into it so it must be somewhat legit. I could be wrong but my common sense tells me b and l would not get in if it was just another vasoconstrictor. I also don't think it's quite as simple as a low dose glaucoma drug since it took four years to get to this point. but of course, again I could be way off.

Comment

/////////////
            Last edited by hankm9; 06-Sep-2016, 07:17.

Comment

Originally posted by hankm9 View Post
              I read about this 3 years ago when it was first put forward by Dr. Gerald Horn. I contacted him regarding the treatment, but didn't receive a reply. I was unaware it was being planned to be brought to the market like this, and more it was a therapy offered at his LASIK clinic.

Here is the patent information: http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20100029660#b

My only concern is that brimonidine is used to lower pressure/glaucoma medication, so is it okay for people who don't have these issues to use it? I wonder how this new mechanism actually works? It's obviously not going to treat dry eye, might be a good tool to help those with the cosmetic issues temporarily. It seems a lot safer than visine, clear eyes etc. The concentration of brimonidine is extremely low apparently so it's obviously been designed for use by everyone. we'll just have to wait and see..

It seems promising. Here is an excerpt of some examples in trial:

Example 4

[0199]Eighteen patients having a red eye condition were treated with a composition of the present invention (i.e., brimonidine at 0.018%) and with VISINE Original®. Three patients withdrew from the study prior to completion.

[0200]The patients were assigned "cumulative red scores", prior to each administration (as baseline) and then 10 min after each dose, by dividing the bulbar conjunctiva into six sectors, each scored with a grade 1-3 score and the total cumulative score. In terms of initial efficacy of the active vs. VISINE Original® the patients were calculated to have 68.71% reduction in redness score after administration of a single dose of brimonidine at 0.018%, and 31.06% reduction in redness score after administration of VISINE Original® after a single application.

[0201]Rebound hyperemia after one dose occurred only in 6.6% after administration of brimonidine at 0.05% (1 of 15) and in 26.6% after administration of VISINE Original®.

[0202]The three week scores also demonstrated advantages of the compositions of the present invention: after administration of brimonidine at 0.018%, the average redness count went down from 10.3 to 1.6; after administration of VISINE Original®, the average redness count went down from 8.8 to 2.5. However, it is possible that due to the length of the study and inadvertent dilution of preservative in formulation, contamination of the brimonidine 0.018% composition may have occurred towards the end.

Example 5

[0203]Seven patients with chronic red eyes were treated as follows: one eye was treated with extreme low dose (eld) brimonidine at 0.015% and the other eye was treated with Naphcon-A®. The treatment was through drops twice a day for three to five weeks. At the end, patient satisfaction assessment was conducted.

[0204]All patients reported reduced redness on eld brimonidine.

[0205]42% preferred eld brimonidine.

[0206]0% preferred Naphcon-A®.

Hopefully the new product is available in preservative free vials and not multi-dose bottles that need a preservative.
              hmm, I had no idea you can get rebound with one dose of visine. I was told you can safely use a few drops per eye per week.
              Last edited by tim20112; 11-Jul-2013, 09:43.

Comment

Just some more info.
                What causes the red vessels to appear is high osmolarity of the tear film. This starts a process known as vascular permeability. This is initiated to have more of the hypotonic serum from the blood make it to the ocular surface to reduce the osmolarity.

So my concern is what is it doing to change the salt content of my tears?

Comment

Originally posted by indrep View Post
                  Just some more info.
                  What causes the red vessels to appear is high osmolarity of the tear film. This starts a process known as vascular permeability. This is initiated to have more of the hypotonic serum from the blood make it to the ocular surface to reduce the osmolarity.

So my concern is what is it doing to change the salt content of my tears?
                  probably not much. this will prob just give us a safe, long term solution to have clear eyes everyday. it's cosmetic and won't solve the issue...which I think is okay since a lot of people with red eyes have healthy eyes.

Comment

I'm posting this for Hankm9. He is finished with this site, however, has asked me to post the following for him:

"This product is now beginning Phase III FDA trials".

I came across this in some of the ocular therapeutics and pharmacology research I've been doing here. Fat text books and science journals coming out of my ears.

This drop will probably help to reduce redness in a lot of people with dry eye. A huge cosmetic issue. its a completely different problem but will help a lot of people with their appearance. Phase III will determine safety. Hopefully it's successful. The dosage is extremely low 0.015.
                    Last edited by DCRdryeye; 31-Oct-2013, 05:08.

Comment

Thanks DCRdryeye - hope Hankm's diplomatic mission went well
                      Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

He's still in the USA receiving mind blowing information from many leading ophthalmologists, working with researchers, etc. The information he's accumulated so far is beyond many of us. There's more to it than this, but he's sworn me to privacy and will one day lead through example and show those knockers he was coming out of integrity and the need to help his own dry eye and others.

Those who think they know, don't. Because new developments and knowledge on dry eye are coming through that shows we've been heading slightly in the wrong direction. This information was bound to come forth. Again, so sorry it can't be shared here.

Comment

All the best to Hankm9. Please let us know more about the drops and other new treatments as the info becomes available.

Comment

thanks for the update. I wonder if the fact that many reviews for a formulation of brimonidine as a cream for treating red faces (mirvaso) is being met by users claiming a rebound effect has anything to do with a possible rebound when used as an eye drop in the eye. let's hope there is no correlation between a rebound when used on the face and when used as an eye drop. would be interested to know if anyone with med development knowledge thinks this is a bad sign.

on the flip side, I was ale to find a document where they recently raised a additional 6 m dollars from friends and family to try to see this to the finish. it must be promising for them to put this much ore money into this endeavor.
                            Last edited by tim20112; 31-Oct-2013, 18:41.

Comment

Does anyone have an update on this?

Comment

Working...
                              X