X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very High Quality Pictures and Video of my Lagophthalmos - Need Advice

Visit my website to see my pictures and the video:

http://web.uvic.ca/~aswalker/eyes/index.html

Does anyone have any suggestions for me as to what a surgeon can do to fix me? Even though I have these great pictures and video of myself, I still don't know what needs to be done to fix me.

Note that I have already undergone a lower eyelid lengthening procedure with a sclera spacer graft in both eyes.

Lagophthalmos caused by eyelid surgery

Hi, Tankie,

A lot of doctors say that eyelid surgery can cause lagopthalmos...

so did you lid lengthening procedure cause the lagophthalmos?

Do you have pictures / video from before the eyelid lengthening surgery? We can compare. Maybe you didn't have the lagophthalmos before the surgery? Then we will know what caused your lagophthalmos...

Comment

Originally posted by NeedMyEyes View Post
      Hi, Tankie,

A lot of doctors say that eyelid surgery can cause lagopthalmos...

so did you lid lengthening procedure cause the lagophthalmos?

Do you have pictures / video from before the eyelid lengthening surgery? We can compare. Maybe you didn't have the lagophthalmos before the surgery? Then we will know what caused your lagophthalmos...
      The reason I had the surgery done was to fix the lagophthalmos, which it did to some degree, but obviously not entirely.

The cause of my lagophthalmos will never be known for certain, but I suspect one of two possibilities:
      1. I acquired it from an eye infection I had when I was 20.
      2. I've always had it, but the eye infection I had at 20 made it worse due to all the rubbing of the eyes I did because of the pain I was in because of the infection.

My problems all began when I was 20, and today I'm 24.

Comment

Honestly the more I think about it, the more I think possibility #2 is probably what happened. Or maybe the infection was just that "igniting moment", like having a pile of paper, and then lighting it with a match.

In any event, does anyone have advice for me as to:
        1. An oculoplastic surgeon I could contact who would be willing to have a look at my pictures and video and give me advice.
        2. The type of surgery that you think I will need (don't worry if you're wrong, I'm just curious to know your thoughts).
        3. Anything else?

Comment

Bump take 1.

Comment

LAFOPHTHALMOS SUFFERERS - I HAVE FOUND A VERY EASY AND DO ABLE WAY TO MANAGE MY LID CLOSURE PROBLEM - I USE "GENTEAL GEL" BY ALCON. TWO DROPS IN EACH OF MY LOWER LIDS ABOUT MID LEFT AND MID RIGHT WHEN LAYING DOWN BEFORE I GO TO BED. I USE MY FINGER TO DISTRBUTE ANY EXCESS TO COAT ALL AREAS OF MY LID EDGES. I CONSCIOUSLY KEEP MY LIDS CLOSED WHLE LAYING ON MY BACK ABOUT FIVE MINUTES ON UNTIL THE GEL DRYS. IT BECOMES STICKLY AND HOLDS MY LIDS TOGETHER ALL NIGHT. GETTING UP TO GO TO THE BATH ROOM IS A BIT CHALLENGING BUT DO ABLE AND AT LEAST I DONT HAVE TO WEAR EYE GOGLES. MY EYES FELT SO MUCH BETTER IN THE MORNING. ALSOS THEIR IS A NEW PRODUCT CALLED EYE SEAL COMING OUT IN JUNE BY EYEECO. HOPE THIS HELPS. THIS IS APPARENTLY A HIGHLY UNDIAGNOSED CONDITION THAT MOST DOCTOS HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT HOW TO TREAT AND MAKES EYES BURN ESPECIALLY IN THE AM AND MIGHT BE THOUGHT TO BE JUST DRY EYE. I AM GOING TO START THE AUTOLOGOUS SERUM SOON FOR MY DRY EYES AS DOCTORS IN OUR ORANGE COUNTY AREA GETING 85% SUCCESS RATE WITH IT. CALIFORNIA PHARMACY IN NEWPORT BEACH DOING A STELLAR JOB. HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE OUT THERE SUFFERING. JUDI - WWW.OCDryEyeSupportGroup.org - visit our web site to see our meeting dates in Calif.

Comment

dear Judi999 here is a info for you http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...ricant-Eye-Gel

Comment

eyeeco

how do you know what this eye shield from eyeeco is? what does it do?

Comment

Started with 100 % autologous serum 1 1/2 months ago and eyes feeling so much better and all the burning is gone. Apparently it makes a difference where the blood in drawn (UCI), spun and made (California Pharmacy in Newport Beach) into clear serum for your eyes as to its effectiveness. Dr. Marjan Farid examined my eyes last week and said all dry spots were gone since using the A. Serum every two hours. I have a small travel cooler that keeps the serum cool for 12 hours for when I am gone away from the house. Dr. Farid is having me cut back now on how often I use A. S. do to the extent of the healing she has seen. I wish I would have done this years ago so easy and so worth it.
                  WWW.OCDryEyeSupportGroup.org

Comment

I dont know as aI havent seen it yet.

Comment

gen teal eye gel for severe dry ey

Originally posted by Dog2012 View Post
                      dear Judi999 here is a info for you http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...ricant-Eye-Gel
                      this is a 11 page article - google this "ocular preservatives associated risk and newer options" for more information. it says Gen teal gel for severe dry eyes has a gentler preservative called sodium perborate and may still cause ocular toxicity. It can destabilize cell walls and membranes but to a lesser degree than other types of preservatives becasue it is an oxidative preservative. I am waiting to hear from my doctor.

Comment

I love Genteal Severe Dry Eye Gel. I'm curious: have you heard any more about Eyeeco's "eye seal"?

Comment

its basically their onyx shields but with contours to fit your nose and forehead to seal the air around your eyes and create a moist environment. they originally started selling them a couple weeks ago but stopped because of manufacturing quality. i was told they would be for sale again by now...apparently they are still experiencing delays.

Comment

Originally posted by Judi999 View Post
                            Started with 100 % autologous serum 1 1/2 months ago and eyes feeling so much better and all the burning is gone.
                            Judi, hi, how are your eyes now? I began the serum a week ago and I'm feeling a little disappointed. I use it 5X a day and I don't believe it is 100% serum but my eyes feel drier and the serum stings. My eyes were messed up by steroids. What had caused your burning? Please update. Thanks. ~gerri

Comment

Originally posted by Gerri55455 View Post
                              Judi, hi, how are your eyes now? I began the serum a week ago and I'm feeling a little disappointed. I use it 5X a day and I don't believe it is 100% serum but my eyes feel drier and the serum stings. My eyes were messed up by steroids. What had caused your burning? Please update. Thanks. ~gerri
                              My eyes are so much better. I have learned that several things contribute how your eyes respond to autologous serum and the quality of the serum. 1. Where the blood is drawn, (mine was drawn at the University of Irvine Calif. Dr. Marjan Farid. Lab technitian said in last two years only had one patient who hadn't benefited from serum for dry eye 2. Where the serum is made (Calif. Pharmacy in Newport Beach) and 3. how many times a day you use it I use it every 2 hours for the first 2 months 4. make sure you hold your head back or lie down when you apply so the serum gets to back of upper lid 4. use 100% serum - studies done years ago using 40% serum were not as successful. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X