Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosacea -Can I use warm compresses?

Hi!

I have acne rosacea and have tried warm compresses (mid hot and HOT), but my eyes just get's 5 times worse after every treatment.

Can I use compresses at all?

What is the treatment plan for rosacea suffers with MGD and posterior blepharites?

What I got planed is:

-Clean the lids 2 times a day
    -antibiotic ointement
    -eye drops
    -flaxseed 30 000 mg a day
    -Tetracyclin (doxycycline)

What on planet earth, else???? THIS is not working!
    The cure: be open minded

Are you taking 30000mg of flaxseed oil a day? rop

Or is that a typo? It's just that I was taking a lot of it and it gave me itchy eczema on my nose. I stopped though I suspect it helped my eyes a little tiny bit...

Comment

no, Im taking that. I get a lot of acne of it. But my eyes get's 5 % better of it, so it's worth it...

Comment

Originally posted by redandsensitive View Post
        no, Im taking that. I get a lot of acne of it. But my eyes get's 5 % better of it, so it's worth it...
        Hi,

I don't know if this is contraindicated for posterior blepharites but has your doctor ever suggested using a mild steroid eyedrop such as Lotemax and/or Alrex in addition to what he has already prescribed for you?

Pam

Comment

Originally posted by nycdryeyegirl View Post
          Hi,

I don't know if this is contraindicated for posterior blepharites but has your doctor ever suggested using a mild steroid eyedrop such as Lotemax and/or Alrex in addition to what he has already prescribed for you?

Pam

I think Pam's suggestion is a very good one. Also, I have rosacea like you and Dr. Latkany told me to use cold compresses. I'm not sure if you have tried that yet.

I actually still use warm compresses from time to time because I think they help me, but make sure they are only warm and not hot. The few times I have used hot compresses my eyes were horrible for the entire day.

Comment

Originally posted by redandsensitive View Post
            Hi!

I have acne rosacea and have tried warm compresses (mid hot and HOT), but my eyes just get's 5 times worse after every treatment.

Can I use compresses at all?

What is the treatment plan for rosacea suffers with MGD and posterior blepharites?

What I got planed is:

-Clean the lids 2 times a day
            -antibiotic ointement
            -eye drops
            -flaxseed 30 000 mg a day
            -Tetracyclin (doxycycline)

What on planet earth, else???? THIS is not working!
            In the morning, I do warm compresses, and then 20 minutes later, I put ice cubes on my eyes. At night, I just do the warm compresses before going to bed. This seems to be helping me.

Comment

Dr. Latkany has said that with ocular rosacea, if you want to do warm compresses, only do them in the shower, i.e. close your eyes and let the warm (not hot!) shower water fall on them. And then, do cool compresses afterwards. The warm shower opens up the glands that are clogged, and the cool compresses calms your eyes and fights the inflammation. Using direct heat will probably exacerbate your rosacea.

Most other docs will say warm/hot compresses for rosacea, but I trust Dr. Latkany on this one.

Comment

I have skin rosacea and MGD. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see the problem. You have to apply the warm compresses over your eyelids, make sure the compresses don't touch the rest of your skin if you don't want to exacerbate your rosacea. Why would you apply cold compresses ? Your goal is to melt that heavy consistency oil.

Comment

Originally posted by nycdryeyegirl View Post
                  Hi,

Pam
                  Hi! I use steroid eyedrops about 7 times a month just to get the "red" out of the eyes.

I can ask for an milder steroid that I can use more of, the next time I go see him.

Comment

Originally posted by dave25 View Post
                    I think Pam's suggestion is a very good one. Also, I have rosacea like you and Dr. Latkany told me to use cold compresses. I'm not sure if you have tried that yet.

I actually still use warm compresses from time to time because I think they help me, but make sure they are only warm and not hot. The few times I have used hot compresses my eyes were horrible for the entire day.
                    I use cold compresses 1 time a day, but I have not thought about doing this 20 min after the warm compress.

Some of you say Dr. Latkany said we can't use warm compresses, some say we can, as long as it isn't to warm, and then use cold compress (or in the shower).

I'm confused...

I have also heard that the first 4 months of using warm compresses, the eyes becomes wors, then after 4 months they get better?!?

I'm confused...

Comment

Originally posted by calcan View Post
                      In the morning, I do warm compresses, and then 20 minutes later, I put ice cubes on my eyes. At night, I just do the warm compresses before going to bed. This seems to be helping me.
                      Did you do this from the start, or did you use warm compresses 4 times a day in the beginning?

Comment

Originally posted by odydnas View Post
                        Dr. Latkany has said that with ocular rosacea, if you want to do warm compresses, only do them in the shower, i.e. close your eyes and let the warm (not hot!) shower water fall on them. And then, do cool compresses afterwards. The warm shower opens up the glands that are clogged, and the cool compresses calms your eyes and fights the inflammation. Using direct heat will probably exacerbate your rosacea.

Most other docs will say warm/hot compresses for rosacea, but I trust Dr. Latkany on this one.
                        In his book, Dr. Latkany says 3-4 times a day (normal warm compresses), and a normal person only shower max 1 time a day. So we don't get the best of it.. I just did this in the shower, but my eyes are pritty dry now (more than usual).

I'm confused...

Comment

Originally posted by cristiandryeyes View Post
                          I have skin rosacea and MGD. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see the problem. You have to apply the warm compresses over your eyelids, make sure the compresses don't touch the rest of your skin if you don't want to exacerbate your rosacea. Why would you apply cold compresses ? Your goal is to melt that heavy consistency oil.
                          I only do the cold compress 20 min after the warm compress, to get the inflammation down, but then again the meibomian ducts get's glogged again..

I'm confused..

Comment

When I do cold compresses I actually do them right before I take a shower. So if you are worried about clogging your glands with the cold compresses maybe you could try this. Use a cold compress, to help with inflammation, then take a warm shower to open your glands again. (I actually take 2 showers a day and that seems to help me out a lot.) Also, I am not exactly sure if using cold compresses will actually clog your glands at all.

Maybe you could carefully go through each step in your routine to see what is really helping you and what is not. How do you clean your lids for example? For the longest time I used baby shampoo to clean my lids everyday. Little did I know that by doing that I was actually making my eyes feel worse. Once I stopped using baby shampoo and just used warm water to clean my lids, my eyes got much better.

Comment

Originally posted by dave25 View Post
                              When I do cold compresses I actually do them right before I take a shower. So if you are worried about clogging your glands with the cold compresses maybe you could try this. Use a cold compress, to help with inflammation, then take a warm shower to open your glands again. (I actually take 2 showers a day and that seems to help me out a lot.) Also, I am not exactly sure if using cold compresses will actually clog your glands at all.

Maybe you could carefully go through each step in your routine to see what is really helping you and what is not. How do you clean your lids for example? For the longest time I used baby shampoo to clean my lids everyday. Little did I know that by doing that I was actually making my eyes feel worse. Once I stopped using baby shampoo and just used warm water to clean my lids, my eyes got much better.
                              Thanx for tips! Then I will use cold compress every time before the warm compress, pluss the shower every day.

I'm going to try something new to day: I'm gonna squees my meibomian glands by taking the lids between me tomb and forefinger (sorry for my poor English), just to get all of the infected meibomian out...
                              What do you think of this??

Comment

Working...
                              X