Rosacea -Can I use warm compresses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

Haven't you tried expressing your meibomium glands before?

Yes, it is a good idea if you can do it. I don't express my glands in the way you describe although I think that is the way that Stella does it. (See her post on 13th December 2009) She wrote:

I just press on the eyelid margin between finger and thumb-- the thumb goes on the inside and finger outside Start near your nose and press along the lid moving towards the ear

By the way - there is NO NEED to apologise for your English - it's fine! This is the only Norwegian I know - Med vennlig hilsen

Comment

Originally posted by redandsensitive View Post
      Did you do this from the start, or did you use warm compresses 4 times a day in the beginning?
      I only do warm compresses twice a day, as I really can't do this while I'm at work during the day.

When I first started doing the warm compresses, I gave up quickly, because of the way it worsened the redness in my eyes. However, I decided to give it another shot, because I kept reading about the importance of unclogging the glands.

I do it first thing in the morning, and then before I leave for work, I put ice on my eyes to take down the fiery redness, because I do have to face people in the workplace. (I am trying to avoid the toxic "get's the red out" eyedrops; hence, the ice.) I guess it's longer than 20 minutes - more like nearly an hour between the compresses and the ice. At least my eyes have had a chance to be properly lubricated in the morning before I leave for work.

Those of us with ocular rosacea have to deal with it slightly differently than people who are suffering with just dry eyes.

Have you visited Dr. Nase's website on rosacea? He addresses ocular rosacea there. Just google his name.

Comment

Originally posted by irish eyes View Post
        Hi

Haven't you tried expressing your meibomium glands before?

Yes, it is a good idea if you can do it. I don't express my glands in the way you describe although I think that is the way that Stella does it. (See her post on 13th December 2009) She wrote:

I just press on the eyelid margin between finger and thumb-- the thumb goes on the inside and finger outside Start near your nose and press along the lid moving towards the ear

By the way - there is NO NEED to apologise for your English - it's fine! This is the only Norwegian I know - Med vennlig hilsen
        I couldn't do it, it did hurt to much, but I did see clear oil coming out when I squeesed normaly I don't know what that means, but I guess it's a good thing..
        The cure: be open minded

Comment

Originally posted by calcan View Post
          I only do warm compresses twice a day, as I really can't do this while I'm at work during the day.

When I first started doing the warm compresses, I gave up quickly, because of the way it worsened the redness in my eyes. However, I decided to give it another shot, because I kept reading about the importance of unclogging the glands.

I do it first thing in the morning, and then before I leave for work, I put ice on my eyes to take down the fiery redness, because I do have to face people in the workplace. (I am trying to avoid the toxic "get's the red out" eyedrops; hence, the ice.) I guess it's longer than 20 minutes - more like nearly an hour between the compresses and the ice. At least my eyes have had a chance to be properly lubricated in the morning before I leave for work.

Those of us with ocular rosacea have to deal with it slightly differently than people who are suffering with just dry eyes.

Have you visited Dr. Nase's website on rosacea? He addresses ocular rosacea there. Just google his name.
          Okey, then I will do the MID warm compresses 3 times a day, and the cold ones 30 min after every hot compress.

After what I understand, Dr. Nase is a scam, so I don't intend to buy his tablets. What is your experience with this medisine?

Comment

Originally posted by irish eyes View Post
            hehe, I forgot to say: verry good!!

Comment

redandsensitive - I can't do warm compresses either except for luke warm shower water like others have mentioned - it helps the mgd a bit, but it's not great. Cool compresses are great for calming inflammation though.

I have skin rosacea and MGD. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see the problem. You have to apply the warm compresses over your eyelids, make sure the compresses don't touch the rest of your skin if you don't want to exacerbate your rosacea. Why would you apply cold compresses ? Your goal is to melt that heavy consistency oil.
              To answer your question cristiandryeyes: The reason is that the heat can exacerbate the *ocular* rosacea component many of us have - it makes our eyeballs even more red and irritated. It's a catch 22 of sorts - not a win/win answer for all of us. Hth!

Comment

Okey, then I will do the MID warm compresses 3 times a day, and the cold ones 30 min after every hot compress.

After what I understand, Dr. Nase is a scam, so I don't intend to buy his tablets. What is your experience with this medisine?

I'm not sure I completely trust his medicine, but he does give some information on ocular rosacea. I did try the tablets for only a few days; they seemed to be helping, but then I suffered a broken blood vessel in my eye; it has since healed, but I threw the pills away, although I'm not sure if using them for only a few days could have caused this. Maybe it was a coincidence.

I'm sure you, like I, have googled ocular rosacea and found other informational sites as well. I'll try to dig up some links related to ocular rosacea and warm compresses.

Comment

Here is what Dr. L has to say:

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=8587

Comment

Originally posted by alisonW View Post
                    redandsensitive - I can't do warm compresses either except for luke warm shower water like others have mentioned - it helps the mgd a bit, but it's not great. Cool compresses are great for calming inflammation though.
                    Ok, I will try this. But when I did my massage yesterday, I saw clear oil coming out (my vision did not get blurry), what does this mean?
                    Is there a possibility i don't have ocular rosaea, but just posterior blepharites???

Comment

Originally posted by calcan View Post
                      I'm not sure I completely trust his medicine, but he does give some information on ocular rosacea. I did try the tablets for only a few days; they seemed to be helping, but then I suffered a broken blood vessel in my eye; it has since healed, but I threw the pills away, although I'm not sure if using them for only a few days could have caused this. Maybe it was a coincidence.

I'm sure you, like I, have googled ocular rosacea and found other informational sites as well. I'll try to dig up some links related to ocular rosacea and warm compresses.
                      Thanx for answer Yes, please do so, I'm trying to search, but don't find the right ones..

Hm, I will wait to buy this, and let someone else try first. Maybe it's just tabl; with something dangerous stuff inside...

Comment

Originally posted by odydnas View Post
                        Thanx!!

Ok, so just MID warm compresses (shower!?), and then cold ones to bring the inflammation down.. But I don't understand the clear oil coming out of my glands when I massage them..?!

Comment

I have clear oil coming out of my glands as well. Dr. Latkany said that was a good thing. He said clear oil means that the glands are still somewhat functional and not fully clogged. So by following the good advice everyone has shared, a mixture of warm and cold compresses should be helpful.

For me, even with the proper use of warm and cold compresses I don't expect great improvement just from the compresses alone. The warm and cold compresses along with a combination of a NSAID (Acuvail) and Restasis are what really helped my eyes feel better. I know that you have had trouble with Restasis, but I'm not sure if you have tried a NSAID. (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug or NSAID for short.) So even if the cold and warm compresses don't provide you the relief you are looking for there are still several options out there that you can try.

Comment

Originally posted by dave25 View Post
                            I have clear oil coming out of my glands as well. Dr. Latkany said that was a good thing. He said clear oil means that the glands are still somewhat functional and not fully clogged. So by following the good advice everyone has shared, a mixture of warm and cold compresses should be helpful.

For me, even with the proper use of warm and cold compresses I don't expect great improvement just from the compresses alone. The warm and cold compresses along with a combination of a NSAID (Acuvail) and Restasis are what really helped my eyes feel better. I know that you have had trouble with Restasis, but I'm not sure if you have tried a NSAID. (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug or NSAID for short.) So even if the cold and warm compresses don't provide you the relief you are looking for there are still several options out there that you can try.
                            Thanx! Then something is the way it should be

I can't get a hold of Restasis If no one has an extra bottle they can send to me (I will pay), and I don't know where to order NSAID. I take of course anti - inflammatory supplements (but with no luck). But anti-inflammatory eye drops sounds really interesting!!

Anyone?

Comment

There are several different kinds of non steroidal anti inflammatory eye drops, but they are only available by prescription. You would have to ask your doctor about them. I have used Nevanac in the past and now I am using Acuvail.

I think you should only use prescription eye drops under the supervision of a doctor. I am just giving you advice on what has worked for me in the past. If you would like to try any of these the first thing you should do is make an appointment with your eye doctor. I hope this helps.

Comment

Thanx for answer Yes, please do so, I'm trying to search, but don't find the right ones..

Hm, I will wait to buy this, and let someone else try first. Maybe it's just tabl; with something dangerous stuff inside...
                                Here is a site that has a pretty thorough discussion of Ocular Rosacea.

http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/ind...ic_Jones%2C_MD

Comment

Working...
                                X