No announcement yet.

Ipl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the difference between gland expression performed by a doctor to the gland expression you can do yourself?

Thanks

Comment

Gland expression Dr T performs is far more forcefull than you can perform yourself, he uses a medical q tip inside the lid and pushed against it with his finger on the oouter lid to express the glands harder. I believe this is very important in getting the glands open and flowinf after the IPL, esp if your glands are heavily blocked.

If your glands arent blocked or not overly blocked you could prob do your own lighter expression or non at all afterwards. Mine arent really blocked, im going to a IPL nurse in London shes very good and i have 4 IPLs booked for £500 in total. She did the periocular area, she reached places dr toyos didnt reach between the nose etc. And she does the face etc as well.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/health/Ligh...-92200179.html

It says here IPL for dry eye in new york costs 250.
      I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Originally posted by Chemia
        Good question - also what is the difference between IPL performed at an opthamologist versus a dermatologist? So if a doctor does IPL under the eyes without lid expressions, how different is it from going to any doctor who charges $100 for under the eyes with no lid expressions. I am confused especially when you hear patients say they get zapped for 5 mins and then that's it.
        I dont believe it is any different, derms have mlore experience than eye docs with IPL. The only real difference is that Dr T and maybe others? do the lid expression which can really get the glands open.

Remember Dr T said that he first noticed IPLs effect on dry eye by chance through just treating facial rosacea (no gland expression was used then).
        I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Originally posted by sazy123 View Post
          . Mine arent really blocked, im going to a IPL nurse in London shes very good and i have 4 IPLs booked for £500 in total. She did the periocular area, she reached places dr toyos didnt reach between the nose etc. And she does the face etc as well.
          Hi Sazy

I keenly followed your accounts of IPL with Dr Toyos.

I'm curious about the procedure you are having in London; will this help the eye discomfort? You say you have had one treatment so far; what difference do you think it's made?

Many thanks for any feedback.

Comment

I am very happy that many people who understand dry eye began to post here.

PEOPLE, I NEED YOUR HELP

I found a very competent ophthalmologist. He'll do the cleaning of the eyelid at me.

I'll do the IPL in a clinic and he'll do the cleaning right after the procedure. I was very happy, it was only 8 months of searching to find some solution.

Along with the happiness of knowing that I have access to treatment came the fear it will not work.

What I would like to know from you is: does anyone here have any more precise information of the IPL in patients after LASIK? Many competent people are posting here, and would like you to help me. Moni, Sazy123, Gretchen .... I followed the story of you here in the forum and I know that has a great knowledge about the procedure.

I thank you very much to have read the post until the end = D

THANKS

Comment

I'll be watching with interest to see how you do since
              my problems started after Lasik too! Good luck!

Comment

Saag, you have not tried yet the IPL?

I sent a private message with my MESSENGER.
                As we have the same problem. We will maintain communication;
                Provided, always updating the people of the forum too.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemia
                  You can present your doctor this article and it tells you more about the procedure and the settings. I showed it to my dermatologist and that is what he is using now.

http://www.eyeworld.org/article.php?sid=2698
                  Chemia, thanks!!
                  I had seen that article but I'd forgotten that brought specifications ...

Just got back from a beauty clinic now. I'm looking for where the most suitable machine and what specifications are appropriate for treatment!

Help came at the right time!

Thanks again

Comment

ok so my appointment with dr yee is scheduled for next week! hope everything goes well.. Meanwhile I need to figure out whats going on with my body. Many allergies and things keep inflamming the lids. I also suspect a bacterial overgrowth in my tummy so we'll see.

One of my good friends got lasik yesterday, hes doing really well, i asked him if his eyes were dry and hes like "huh.. they feel normal" .. (ahh the jealousy). Im happy for him though as he was almost blind.

I'll keep you guys updated! meanwhile do the flaxseed!!

Comment

Hi Moni -

As I read your posts, I notice that you mention rashes, inflammation, allergies, etc. Have you been checked for systemic issues by a rheumatologist?

Gretchen

Comment

yup rheumy is the first i checked, thanks for the concern! ... Gretchen are u back to normal?? If you are go live your life =) and leave this dry eye nightmare behind as a bad memory... dont forget to update once in a while!

Comment

This is the first time I post in this board.
                          I had severe dry eyes since Lasik in 2004. I had most traditional treatments like you guys have: warm compress, lid scrub, baby shampoo on eyelash base, steroid drops, antibiotic drops and gels, restasis, and doxycycline. Nothing worked. After treating my dry eyes for 9 moths after Lasik, I stopped all treatments. I just gave up. Then, a couple months later, a miracle happened, my dry eyes problem were gone. My eyes were 90-95% normal from July 2005 to Oct 2009. I did even realize how or when my eyes were normal. I don't know it is because of working out and exercise regularly 3-4 times a week.

Sadly, I have dry eyes again for the second time of my life.
                          I stopped exercise since May 2008 because I had broken my finger.
                          Dry eyes started again since Sept 2009 till Now. It is the same symptoms.
                          - Loss of eyelashes almost everyday
                          - Swelling oil gland every 7-10 days
                          Is it MGD? I posted my left eye on youtube:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgwrmGtQF2I
                          - Burning, tearing and gummy eyes

I just tried AzaSite last week for 4 days. It did not work and I could not stand it. It is very very sticky, like a gel or glue. Is this normal characteristic of AzaSite? It was irritated too.

I am very interested in IPL or MG probing since I need an immediate relief.
                          Are there any people having IPL for dry eyes, but not getting better or worsen because of IPL?

Comment

Hi Lasikdryeye04

I watched your video - are you (or someone else) using a pair of scissors on the blocked gland?

Like you, I tend to lose eyelashes regularly and they grow back in odd directions! It's most frustrating and for some reason, it is getting worse but I battle on with the lid hygiene.

Sorry, I cannot comment on Azasite because it's not available in UK but I have heard that it can burn & sting. 4 days isn't very long - could you try tolerating it for a while longer?

A number of members have been trying IPL - André has been kind enough to group these together - if you haven't seen these already:

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=11475

Comment

Hello irish eyes,
                              Do you have blocked glands often like me? 5-6 blocked glands per month.
                              The opthamologist destroyed the blocked gland by using something like a pair of scissors but not sharp. ( I don't know the English name)
                              I asked him to record this video for me.

He and most other opthamologists suggest me destroy the blocked gland myself every time it happens by using a cotton bud.

"I tend to lose eyelashes regularly and they grow back in odd directions"
                              is exactly the same as mine. Does the lid hygiene help you? Do you use baby shampoo on the eyelash base?
                              When my eyes were normal 3-4 years ago, I hardly lose my eyelashes.

I lived in Thailand and Azasite is not available. The Azasite sample was sent from the U.S. from my doctor's friend. However, it expired April 2010. Due to heat in Thailand during delivery maybe destroyed the drop. I wanted to use it longer, but it irritated my eyes so much.

Thank you for link. I will read it through.

I wanted to say to you and all dry eyes people that dry eyes will go away. I had dry eyes since 2004. Cured for 4 years. And here comes dry eye again. From my feelings, exercise and hormone have a link with dry eyes. I think it better to make your overall health good by exercise regularly while treating dry eyes.

Comment

Hi Lasikdrye04

Yes, I do have blocked glands. Sometimes they are very `fiddly' to deal with but I perservere - using the force of my thumb rather than a Q tip.

I lose a lot of eyelashes - they grow back but at distorted angles and some of them lacking pigment. Lid hygiene; I have tried lots of things but none of them really help so I often use something as simple as salt water to keep them clean. Baby shampoo is out of the question although there are one or two brands that are not as harsh as others (Burts Bees and Neals Yard).

I do agree with your final statement; be attentive to the rest of your health and take exercise where possible. I'm lucky in that exercise comes reasonably easy (genetic) but I had let things lapse a bit. I'm now building up my stamina to participate in running events. I just love the idea of gaining control again.........!!

Comment

Working...
                                X