No announcement yet.

MGD relief that works for me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I take 61 000 mg of omega 3 oils (2x15 000 mg norwegian cod liver oil -2 tbs), (2x15 000 mg virgin, cold pressed, organic flaxseed oil -2 tbs), (1000 mg norwegian cold sea krill oil).
    This is about 500 kcal just in oils. This is more than needed, but it works wonders. So what the heck..

I'm on a diet now (lost 25 pounds), just 50 to go:P But since I take 500 kcal worth of oil, I must eat even less. 2 tuna box, chicken breast and looots of vegetables. It sucks to just eat about 400 kcal of food everyday. So 900 kcal all together.

Rebecca: you was right, the reason the flaxseed tasted SO bad, was since I've had it opened for 9 weeks. It's recommended to consume it within 4-6 weeks. I've bought a smaller bottle now.

There was 2 weeks I couldn't take my oils, and damn, after 3 days my eyes got soo dry. I couldn't wait to continue consuming my oils

Anyway, good luck to everyone.

RS
    The cure: be open minded

Comment

Originally posted by dgreen97 View Post
      just curious are there any side effects by using the flax seed oil? just want to make sure that its not dangerous or anything in the long term. just bought some natures bounty flax seed oil and the reason I think it works a lot better is because theres so much more omega 3 in the liquid than the soft gels. You'd have to take like 8 softgels to get the same effect as one teaspoon of the oil.
      I can say the symptoms I've had when consuming flaxseed:

I've always had to much sebum production (seborrheic dermatitis?), and from I was 19 to 22 I got a LOT of acne when consuming flaxseed. But the last 6 months I've stoped getting acne (even when consuming lots of flaxseed). Thank god the acne period is over!
      And I've read that other people also got acne when consuming flaxseed, even though some of them didn't have a proplem with acne before. So flaxseed CAN give acne to some people.

Heartburn, especially if I drink coffee. When I don't drink coffee, I get a little heartburn, but really no problem.

Stomach ache. This happens almost never, so really no problem.

Google the rest of symptoms that can occur when taking flaxseed.
      RS

Comment

such a bad circle... i did eat accutane to get rid of my acne, now i need flaxseed oil to recover my eyes, and then you say this... well i guess ill just have to live with my eyes then because i refuse to get back to square one. did you take accutane, redandsensitive?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey View Post
          such a bad circle... i did eat accutane to get rid of my acne, now i need flaxseed oil to recover my eyes, and then you say this... well i guess ill just have to live with my eyes then because i refuse to get back to square one. did you take accutane, redandsensitive?
          Well, I said I got acne. Try it, if you get acne after 3-4 days, decide if that is manageable. Flaxseed can really help, and if you've used accutane, I really don't think you will get acne of flaxseed.

No, I have never used accutane, but lots and lots of tetracycline (antibiotics), and that fixed my acne. But I also think this made my eyes dry, just like accutane for you. But try it!

Comment

Andrey, when did you take the accutane? I took it but many years ago, heard that it can contribute to Dry eyes, but I took it so long ago, I don't think that its a factor for me.

Comment

took it for 9 months and quited 3 weeks ago. obviously it could get better since 3 weeks isnt much, but i've been feeling this way the whole cure, so we'll see. i have to admit that my eyes feels better now when i took some things: MSM, says that it is reducing inflammation in the body, krill oil (1000mg), took some omega 3 capsule and now i will order flaxseed oil. so right now my eyes feels pretty good actually but we will see how i'm doing in a few hours.

Great forum
              Last edited by Andrey; 21-May-2011, 10:09.

Comment

MGD means Meibomian Gland Dysfunction : here are some links in Google that will tell you more than you need to know!

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&sour...b8a2436a9368f2

I'm very happy you'e feeling more optimistic, Andry. I do hope it works for you. When you look at the cause, which seems to be a lack of essential fatty acids, and take steps to correct that deficiency one would expect improvement. I was prescribed a low dose of tetracyline which helped a little bit but since that is an antibiotic it would only have been treating any infection that established itself in the malfunctioning glands. After I had been taking the flaxseed oil for a couple of months I stopped the antibiotic and had no further problems. If you're taking antibiotics ask your doctor if you should eat yogurt or some other probiotic product as some antibiotics destroy the good bacteria in your gut, which leads to all sorts of other problems.

As for side effects, I have not experienced any negative results, but here's something to ponder.....if you buy flaxseed oil at the drug store or, as I have just found, at the supermarket or heath food store, you don't need to take any precautions, but if you buy linseed oil (from the flax plant) at the hardware or paint suppliers and you are driving a commercial vehicle, you should display a Dangerous Goods placard!

dgreen97, hope it works for you. I haven't modified my diet in any other way. I'm not much of a candy eater so didn't cut back. Ditto for pasta, don't eat a lot of it.

Hope it works for everyone who tries it. I know I'm thrilled with the results. Best wishes.......

Comment

if you read around i actually saw that flaxseed oil helps with acne not causes it. it's supposed to be a treatment for it. anyway since you had acne before and then you were still taking flaxseed and didn't have it anymore, i'm assuming the flaxseed wasn't the cause in the first place. i just read that flaxseed can cause problems with the prostate later in life. i hope this isn't true

Comment

Is there a difference between the flaxseed oil, capsules or the powder? does the oil work better? thanks.

Comment

My personal preference is the oil. Buying it, as I now do, at the grocery store is far more economical than buying it at the health food outlet or a chemist or drugstore. It is by volume far more economical than the capsules. I've never heard of a powder form of flaxseed.

The powder I referred to in the earlier post was in relation to finding the most economical version of any product and I gave as an example powdered glucosamine as opposed to the capsules, which are much more expensive by volume, just as flaxseed oil in a bottle is far cheaper than in capsules.

Comment

Hey all

Inspired by this post I have just bought a bottle of Linseed oil from a site here in the UK.

I noticed it had a recipes page which I thought may interest someone?

Here it is

http://www.flaxfarm.co.uk/node/299

cheers

El
                        The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

Comment

Thanks for that link, EllMitcho. It's a good explanation of the difference between the food product and the wood-nourishing product, and why it is called 'flax' in some parts of the words and 'linseed' in others. It also clarifies why some brands taste bitter and some taste mild, and why the milder tasting oil is the better quality. I do hope you get relief from MGD, too. Let us know, please, after a week or so, how it's working for you. I'd love to know as it's changed my quality of life after years of misery.

Loved the photo of the Dartmoor stallion with his beautiful glossy coat!

Comment

Here's a link to the findings of an international conference on MGD, held earlier this year. It covers a wide range of possible causes, dispels a few misunderstandings and explains the subtle differences between the many conditions lumped together under the heading of MGD.

http://www.iovs.org/content/52/4/1938/F6.expansion.html

It's pretty heavy going but there are enough recognizable terms there to suggest questions you might want to ask your doctor to answer, if you haven't been given a satisfactory etiology and treatment to date. I think I discovered why the flaxseed oil is probably working for me. Since I became allergic to seafood, all of it it seems, I've avoided this major source of Omega 3's. The flaxseed seems to have provided the remedy I needed.

Comment

update - I have recieved my linseed (flaxseed) oil and have been taking 2 desert spoons each day. I have to say the taste is fine - nutty but smooth and not too sickly. Way too early to tell if it's doing my eyes any good but I'll report back in a few weeks either way.
                              I wonder if it would do any good on the eyelids - but that feels like a whole new thread!
                              Ell
                              The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

Comment

I don't think flaxseed oil should taste that bad, perhaps it isn't a very good grade of oil? We use GranoVita cold-pressed linseed oil, it tastes very nice drizzled onto muffins or toast. I think they are a German company, so perhaps it might be available in Norway, Redandsensitiv?

http://www.granovita.co.uk/product-c...anic-flax-oil/

Around the time I started using it in March, something very strange happened with my skin (red/burning sensations on cheeks, swelling in the malar area) and I wondered at first if the linseed oil might have triggered it (esp. as the central face area became very greasy at this time), but I'm 99% sure the reaction was caused by UV sensitivity. I'm cautiously starting with Flax oil again as I think it may have helped my eyes when I took it last time.

Comment

Working...
                                X