This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks,

- is Patonal ok to take for 6 months or longer continously? will the relief be immediate or can it take weeks, months, to notice a difference in symptoms?
    - if it is allergies, is it ok to keep taking it even if Patanol drys out your eyes even more than they already are until you take care of the allergen?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Plat View Post
      Thanks,

- is Patonal ok to take for 6 months or longer continously? will the relief be immediate or can it take weeks, months, to notice a difference in symptoms?
      - if it is allergies, is it ok to keep taking it even if Patanol drys out your eyes even more than they already are until you take care of the allergen?

Thanks
      I can only speak for my own experience. For me, Patanol works immediately. I use it only when needed, primarily because of the preservative in it. My seasonal allergies do not bother me 365 days a year, only 4-5 months. I can't see taking a medicine if it is not needed.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Kitty,

What kind of relief do you get from Patanol and what symptoms improve? Do you get any adverse reactions to it?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by teartest View Post
          Hi Plat,

When you have the allergic cascade, which generate the excess fatty acid, the acid will breakdown the oil layer abnormally rapidly. This does not mean you have MGD, which by definition, means that your oil glands are not working, or generating enough oil. Your oil glands are working, but the protective outer layer of oil is broken prematurely. This causes excess evaporation, which is one of the two primary classifications of dry eye (tear deficient and / or evaporative).

I hope this helps.

I have non-inflammatory MGD with a TBUT of 3 seconds. It seems that this is due to rosacea. Is it possible that my MGD isn't MGD but my allergies are causing my tears to breakdown quicker. The only thing is that it seems my meibomian glands are not functioning. Most likely I have to get a more in depth analysis of the level of functionality of my MG;s.
          Current Diagnosis: MGD due to Ocular Rosacea , TBUT of 5 seconds

Comment

Originally posted by Blueyes View Post
            TD2007 how do you treat your allergies? Dr. L. gave me Pataday and I have been using it for a while, but I actually feel as if it makes me feel worse - I experience more burning and redness. What works for you?

Myself, I have dust mite allergy, and I am also very allergic to something in my workplace that I haven't quite figured out yet.
            I was given Pataday as well, and it makes my eyes super white. My only concern is that it contains .01% BAK. Isn;t this something we should all be conerned about?
            Current Diagnosis: MGD due to Ocular Rosacea , TBUT of 5 seconds

Comment

Originally posted by teartest View Post
              Hi Curly,

Yes, clinical studies have shown that itch is NOT necessary for ocular allergies. In the classic allergies, there is usually itch, but it is not always. The old definition of ocular allergy is :grade 2 hyperiema (red eye), and grade 2 itch. These are "signs and symptoms" only. The are lots of people that have hypersensitivity and therefore develop dry eye from the sub-acute response (no red, no itch). Allergic insults are cumulative. So a person can have a normal eye, plus one insult that raises their IgE levels slightly. The IgE (allergic response) results in a complex series of cascades that will develop excess fatty acid which cuts the lipid layer (oil) and results in evaporation. Thus dry eye.

The typical red eye (signs) takes about 94 days to manifest into the classical signs that are listed in the doctor manuals. Patients often present in 20 - 30 days making the "signs and symptoms" indistinguishable. Thus studies show that a red eye can be bacterial, viral, or allergic. On rare occasions, there can be two or more causes.

I would suggest that you find a local doctor that can measure your TEAR IgE response. This tear IgE is a local response (generated locally from the 4 million plasma cells that line the conjunctival area, and so it may not be elevated in your blood. Studies have shown that blood serum IgE levels are unreliable for ocular allergies, and only correlate in severe allergic patients.

It is true that if you have red eye and itch, it is most likely to be allergies, but the reverse is not true, that is if you don't have itch, you can not reliably rule out allergy.

Find that doctor that can test your tear IgE. You will be amazed at your progress.
              Hi Teartest.

i have been suffering with severe dry eye for sometime, im now 23.
              I wonder if you could give me an idea, is it ocular rosacea or allergies?

The cause is either ocular rosacea or allergies as im aware that chronic conjunctivitis is caused by one of the two. I have inflamed inner eyelids and swelling (chronic conjunctivitis), this is causing MGD by obstructing the oil flow. I know this becuase when i am ill- this redness and inflammation goes away and my tear film looks normal and my eyes feel normal.

My eyes surface are NOT red, only inner eyelids- In my left eye- the corner next to tear duct is particularly inflamed and red, whereas its not in my right eye.

Have no itching.

What ive tried for allergies so far:

EVERY allergy eye drop going, including patonal, sodium cromoglicate, rapital (sp?)- No benefit.
              Tried Antihistamines- no benefit
              Had three allergy skin prick tests, testing 50 things- nothing came up except very mild hayfever- my eyes are bad all year- so hayfever isnt plausable
              Eliminated dust from room, got an air purifier- made no difference.

So i concluded it isn't allegies, and its ocular rosacea instead. I have very mild facial rosacea and fair skinned. I think i may have caused vascular damage to my eyelids by wearing contacts. Most doctors have said allergic conjunctivis (i have some mild papalliry under eyelid), but most have little knowledge regarding ocular rosacea so wouldn't be able to diagnose it.

Is it possible that it is still allergies even though nothing has helped? What allergen could be causing this if nothing showed up on the tests?

Many thanks.
              I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Working...
              X