This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you bandage an eye?

It sounds like a stupid question but....I don't suppose anyone can give me some advice on how best to bandage 1 eye to block out all light?

I have tried so many different ways, but nothing seems to work well by
    a) not letting light through
    b) not pressing too hard on the eye
    c) not getting bits of cotton wool in my eye
    d) not looking ridiculous so I could venture outside.

I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks
    Last edited by Tempestuous; 17-Sep-2009, 14:42. Reason: forgot question mark

Hi,

Unfortunately, I know about this, because I am an RCE sufferer with EBMD. My second ophthalmologist (who is a really kind person) told me, first, that patching the eye is okay but not something that will help. Nonetheless, I wanted to do it anyway, and he said that what you want to do is to get a good patch without a lot of fibers-- no cotton. Then, place the patch over the eye and run the first strip of tape from the end of the eyebrow, closest to the nose, toward the bottom of the ear, though it need not run the whole way. Then, run another from the outer eyebrow vertically down the side. Add another strip, if it does not feel snug.

--Liz

Comment

You can buy eyepatches in most drug stores. You might have to look in the band-aid isles. Also children's medical stuff. They work well and I always have a box on hand. They're made like a band-aid with good sticky content and gauze across the eye part.

My doctor told me when I had an infection that bandaging your eye then is not a good idea as the bandaged eye is ripe for bacteria. I do hope you can find the real eye patches. Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hi,
        thanks both for the info and sorry for the delay in writing back - both eyes ripped quite badly so I had a miserable day yesterday.

I've tried the band aid style patches but they let too much light in

So far the best for me is the cotton makeup remover pads. 2 folded over twice and a third over them that is taped up similar to the way you described Liz.

The only difference being that as a bloke the vertical strip is useless as it cant stick to stubble. Instead I go at an angle over the nose. I should point out if anyone tries this that if you use cellotape, perspiration will cause it to come loose and slice into your eye. So if anyone does try this use caution and the micropore tape.

I'm not sure what you mean by a patch without a lot of fibres would be. Any google images/products you can show me so I know what you mean?

Thanks.
        Last edited by Tempestuous; 19-Sep-2009, 04:56. Reason: typo

Comment

Hi,

I just meant gauze rather than cotton balls.

--Liz

Comment

I just used an eye patch, like the one's pirates wear. I bought mine in Rite Aid.

Worked good for keeping out light, wind and all other things.

bernadette

Comment

My thanks and apologies for the belated response.

I'll look into those.

Comment

Working...
              X