This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new diag-anterior membrane dystrophy -help

Hi, In addition to being a Sjogren's dry eye patient, after a recent corneal erosion, my opthamologist told me this week that I have anterior membrane dystrophy. My erosion happened almost 2 weeks ago and I am still in discomfort and my vision is very blurry.
    Can anyone familiar with recurrent corneal abrasions please tell me more of what I can expect with this disease, where I can turn for more info, and whether or not it is likely I will lose my vision eventually? My opthamologist is incredibly tight-lipped - I could barely get the diagnosis out of him. Do these erosions just keep recurring until you can't see anymore? For some reason (maybe in shock), I'm not so scared at the prospect of the vision loss, but I would like to know what the future may hold so that I can adjust my present priorities. For example, maybe I should hold off on refinishing the basement and spend the $ on travelling and seeing the world, difficult as it will be,while I can. I appreciate so much any advice,
    Erika

Dear Erika,

There is no reason to think that your vision will not improve. My vision was terrible for about three days after each of my erosions, but the dystrophy makes my vision less than good, anyway. I have starbursts around lights at night and ghosting in my right eye. (I have the dystrophy in both eyes.)

Did the doctor put you on any kind of drops that might help? Muro 128 5% helped me at first. Currently, I order Dwelle from this site (The Dry Eye Shop), and it helps me to fend off erosions.

While this is a painful and terrible condition, there are things we can do to manage it. Some people turn to surgical options like stromal puncture and PTK to help the epithelium form a better bond to the basement membrane, where the problem lies.

My problem is complicated, because I also have dry eyes and lagophthalamos (the inability to close the lid fully during sleep), so I wear goggles at night and apply Genteal Gel.

Please read around in this site. There are lots of great tips.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

--Liz

Comment

Dear Erika,

I have suffered from the same problem and it can be managed successfully. In many people, including me, long term oral doxycycline (not less than 2 months) together with some weak steroid drops like FML and ointments at night ( mine was for the first 6 weeks Tobradex ointment, combination of antibiotic and steroid,and after that sodium chloride ointment called Muro).
      Also there is a great success with cyclosporine 2% ointment (optimmune), even on its own.

I really feel for you, and i know it is hard to believe now probably, but I assure you that with proper treatment the erosions will stop recurring. There is clinical evidence that the surgical treatment of recurrent erosions is often unsuccessful (meaning the erosions come back) plus the procedures are very invasive. There is also clinical evidence that the non-surgical treatment I explained above stops completely recurrences in almost all patients.

Comment

Working...
      X