Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had ASP 3 wks ago, have pulgs-now vision probs?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had ASP 3 wks ago, have pulgs-now vision probs?

Hello all.
    A bit of history-I am 43 yrs old. I have Lupus, Fibro, CFS, RCE, Sjogrens, SVT(heart prob) and many other Lupus-associated disorders.
    I've been dealing w/RCE for many years now-old eye doc scraped my corneas several times, lasted a while-then back again.
    Well last Sept. I finally went and found a new eye doc in the area we now live-he's one of the top eye docs in this Tri-State area-NJ/NY/PA-even listed as such every year in a top doc mag. So I figured he knows his stuff! lol Right away he started me on trying to get this RCE under control. I had punctal plugs put in both lower ducts, but my corneas are so super-sensitive from yrs of erosions, just the plugs touching an area of my corneas caused me intense pain!! All it ever took to get a new erosion was me turning my head/eyes, opening them upon waking, etc...whenever my eyeballs would touch that little fleshy area where the ducts are, it would be very painful and cause more erosions-so now, there are these little plugs-granted small to begin with-but they make that little fleshy area, now a harder surface to my battered corneas. lol So, back I went and he saw right away the mess I was in and put contact bandages in both eyes. OMG instant relief!! lol
    Anyways, went back and forth for replacements of the contacts-they have to do it every time because that's how sensitive my corneas are-I can't get near them without pain. So he decided he wanted to to the Anterior Stromal Puncture to try and get the RCE under control more-because the plugs weren't doing much due to the continuing probs w/my corneas. He said before we really see any results from the plugs, we had to get these corneas healed. So, I had the left eye done on Jan 4th. Oh what fun that was healing from!! Just like whenever I had em scraped-ugh!!! So, back and forth I go for checkups each week since-he is very pleased with the results so far-said the cornea is healing nicely-much to his surprise because of my history and all.

I did wind up w/an infection though, in both eyes, even though only the left was done so far. My eyes have been VERY sensitive to light-any light, but sunlight the most! He gave me FML(love that name-fits perfect for me! haha!) drops-steroid drops to use 3xs a day in both eyes. It helped for a time.

Well, last Wed and most recent appt. he took the BCLs out and left them out this time!! I became dependant on them protecting my corneas from the tearduct/plug area and preventing that horrid pain. But he said the contacts are only making my eyes even drier because they were in 24/7. As soon as they came out-I felt that pain with every move of my head/eyes!! He said we have to try it this way...most people don't feel the plugs, but like I had said, he said my corneas are just VERY sensitive to the pain from years of erosions.

So, since then, my eyes are once again VERY light sensitive and painful. I still feel the plugs and one wrong turn is pain! But I've learned to turn my head first and other ways to compensate I guess, to avoid that pain. I do notice the left eye isn't as bad as the ight-so that muct be because I had the ASP done.
    BUT...since last week, I am now having vision probs-my eyesight wasn't that bad-just a low RX for glasses. I am seeing double..well its worse than double. W/both eyes open-its blurry and I see double, with only right eye open, I see double to triple going horizontially...BUT with only the left eye open I am seeing 6-8 of things!!!! It goes in a 'C' pattern and is vertical!! And its much worse at night! One star up in the sky...spreads out to 6-8!!

I had hoped it would clear up but its going on a week almost and I will be calling my eye doc tomm morn to get in there!! I tried calling today, but he was in surgery. I can't figure out what this could be from!!! I have searched to see if its an effect of the ASP...but to no avail and then again...its in BOTH eyes, while I only had the ASP done in the left so far!!

I'm afraid its related to the infection/light-sensitivity. I sure hope not as my Gram went blind in one eye due to an eye infection after a cataract surgery. And w/my history of Lupus, it doesn't help. There's always problems from everything-a simple cold for me takes much longer to get over, etc...

So now that you've read my long story-and sorry for that-but its necessary to 'see the big picture' lol, I'm wondering if anyone has had anything like this before? Especially seeing multiples of objects!!
    Like I said, I AM calling him in the morn-just wanted to ge some input here.
    THX for bearing with me-now I need drops from typing all this and satring at this screen too long!!
    Cathy

Originally posted by ProudARMYmom View Post
    Hello all.
    A bit of history-I am 43 yrs old. I have Lupus, Fibro, CFS, RCE, Sjogrens, SVT(heart prob) and many other Lupus-associated disorders.
    I've been dealing w/RCE for many years now-old eye doc scraped my corneas several times, lasted a while-then back again.
    Well last Sept. I finally went and found a new eye doc in the area we now live-he's one of the top eye docs in this Tri-State area-NJ/NY/PA-even listed as such every year in a top doc mag. So I figured he knows his stuff! lol Right away he started me on trying to get this RCE under control. I had punctal plugs put in both lower ducts, but my corneas are so super-sensitive from yrs of erosions, just the plugs touching an area of my corneas caused me intense pain!! All it ever took to get a new erosion was me turning my head/eyes, opening them upon waking, etc...whenever my eyeballs would touch that little fleshy area where the ducts are, it would be very painful and cause more erosions-so now, there are these little plugs-granted small to begin with-but they make that little fleshy area, now a harder surface to my battered corneas. lol So, back I went and he saw right away the mess I was in and put contact bandages in both eyes. OMG instant relief!! lol
    Anyways, went back and forth for replacements of the contacts-they have to do it every time because that's how sensitive my corneas are-I can't get near them without pain. So he decided he wanted to to the Anterior Stromal Puncture to try and get the RCE under control more-because the plugs weren't doing much due to the continuing probs w/my corneas. He said before we really see any results from the plugs, we had to get these corneas healed. So, I had the left eye done on Jan 4th. Oh what fun that was healing from!! Just like whenever I had em scraped-ugh!!! So, back and forth I go for checkups each week since-he is very pleased with the results so far-said the cornea is healing nicely-much to his surprise because of my history and all.

I did wind up w/an infection though, in both eyes, even though only the left was done so far. My eyes have been VERY sensitive to light-any light, but sunlight the most! He gave me FML(love that name-fits perfect for me! haha!) drops-steroid drops to use 3xs a day in both eyes. It helped for a time.

Well, last Wed and most recent appt. he took the BCLs out and left them out this time!! I became dependant on them protecting my corneas from the tearduct/plug area and preventing that horrid pain. But he said the contacts are only making my eyes even drier because they were in 24/7. As soon as they came out-I felt that pain with every move of my head/eyes!! He said we have to try it this way...most people don't feel the plugs, but like I had said, he said my corneas are just VERY sensitive to the pain from years of erosions.

So, since then, my eyes are once again VERY light sensitive and painful. I still feel the plugs and one wrong turn is pain! But I've learned to turn my head first and other ways to compensate I guess, to avoid that pain. I do notice the left eye isn't as bad as the ight-so that muct be because I had the ASP done.
    BUT...since last week, I am now having vision probs-my eyesight wasn't that bad-just a low RX for glasses. I am seeing double..well its worse than double. W/both eyes open-its blurry and I see double, with only right eye open, I see double to triple going horizontially...BUT with only the left eye open I am seeing 6-8 of things!!!! It goes in a 'C' pattern and is vertical!! And its much worse at night! One star up in the sky...spreads out to 6-8!!

I had hoped it would clear up but its going on a week almost and I will be calling my eye doc tomm morn to get in there!! I tried calling today, but he was in surgery. I can't figure out what this could be from!!! I have searched to see if its an effect of the ASP...but to no avail and then again...its in BOTH eyes, while I only had the ASP done in the left so far!!

I'm afraid its related to the infection/light-sensitivity. I sure hope not as my Gram went blind in one eye due to an eye infection after a cataract surgery. And w/my history of Lupus, it doesn't help. There's always problems from everything-a simple cold for me takes much longer to get over, etc...

So now that you've read my long story-and sorry for that-but its necessary to 'see the big picture' lol, I'm wondering if anyone has had anything like this before? Especially seeing multiples of objects!!
    THX for bearing with me-now I need drops from typing all this and satring at this screen too long!!
    Cathy
    Hi Cathy,

Welcome to the DEZ Forum!

I think with the visual problems you are currently experiencing it's imperative that you see your eye doctor as soon as you can.

Like you, I also have Lupus and Sjogren's as well as accompanying ocular inflammatory eye symptoms (severe dry eye, iritis,etc) and I am under the care of a excellent eye doctor who specializes in treating patients who have inflammatory eye symptoms and/or conditions.

Again, I hope you see your eye doctor ASAP.

Pam

Comment

Originally posted by ProudARMYmom View Post
      Hello all.

Cathy
      I empathize, I really do.

I've had double vision since 2001, when I had surgery
      for a retinal detachment, then the dry eye also started.

I now have a slight prism in the right eye that corrects
      it some, I've had three pairs of new glasses in 6 years
      to correct my problem.

So hang in there, and keep after your doctor. I've learned
      through my ordeal, that you need to be in charge. Ask the
      hard questions, and get the best answers you can.
      My Dry Eye Story:
      http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...7575#post47575

Comment

I would ask doc to remove silicone plugs and insert 90 day plugs. These are inserted below the punctal ring and will not touch your corneas. You might also try the Oasis TEARS Plus available here. The hyaluronan in that drop has shown in clinical trials to promote epithelial cell migration and healing of the corneal surface.

Comment

Working...
        X