X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Like Some Info And Tips About RCEs

Hi!

I am writing on behalf of a dear friend of mine who was diagnosed recently with recurrent corneal erosions in her right eye.

She also has macular degeneration, which has resulted in her being legally blind so I decided to ask on her behalf for some advice and tips in managing this painful condition.

She is currently taking an ointment at bedtime to prevent her from waking up at night from these painful erosions and it appears to working very well for her.

Her main problem seems to be when she is outside, she experiences a lot of pain when a breeze/wind hits her eyes, so unfortunately this is preventing her from going outside as often as she normally does.

I would appreciate any advice/info about how to manage this condition such as what eyedrops/ointments and goggles/sunglasses might be helpful for her.

She also is a smoker and I was wondering if this might be worsening her condition, as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pam

Any sports wrap sunglasses (preferably with a foam insert) should enable her to tolerate outdoors & wind.

These range from dirt cheap like the dustbusters in the dry eye shop ($12 I think?) to the sports eyewear like 7Eye (see www.7eye.com - $139 and up) AirDam and AirShield series and Wiley-X (wileyx.com - $84 and up) Climate Control series frames. If she's got the budget for the latter types of eyewear then the best place to go is usually a Harley Davidson dealership as they carry both of those brands.

p.s. Yes smoking is bad for dry eye. One option - assuming she's not going to quit for that reason - would be to wear goggles at least some of the time while smoking - it would reduce the exposure to its drying effects.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
    X