This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• now I have halos/starbursts etc and I haven't even had lasik

Drove quite a long distance at night recently, the first time I've had need to drive at night in ages (probably 6 months +). It was really difficult due to halos/glare/starbursts. I'd only noticed these to a minimal extent previously (thought it was probably normal), but because I hadn't driven at night, or even really gone out at night much in so long I didn't realise how bad they had become.

I haven't had lasik, and too young for age related cataracts, I can only put this problem down to chronic keratitis as well as my other not-specifically diagnosed blepharitis/conjunctivitis/severe dry eye. I guess I can look forward to this problem being dismissed as trivial by the eye docs as well. I am worried if I complain about it I will just get my drivers license cancelled or restricted. Has anyone else had any issues with their drivers license? Anyone else out there with issues driving at night that is purely due to dry eye/chronic inflammation etc and not lasik?

Originally posted by poppy View Post
    Drove quite a long distance at night recently, the first time I've had need to drive at night in ages (probably 6 months +). It was really difficult due to halos/glare/starbursts. I'd only noticed these to a minimal extent previously (thought it was probably normal), but because I hadn't driven at night, or even really gone out at night much in so long I didn't realise how bad they had become.

I haven't had lasik, and too young for age related cataracts, I can only put this problem down to chronic keratitis as well as my other not-specifically diagnosed blepharitis/conjunctivitis/severe dry eye. I guess I can look forward to this problem being dismissed as trivial by the eye docs as well. I am worried if I complain about it I will just get my drivers license cancelled or restricted. Has anyone else had any issues with their drivers license? Anyone else out there with issues driving at night that is purely due to dry eye/chronic inflammation etc and not lasik?
    I feel there are many people who could have star bursts etc at night and no history of lasik surgery .dry eye definitely a possibility .why dont you try over the counter
    refresh tears?? if you want a detailed explanation send all your troubles in detail to
    proctoraid.com .lovely site .they will give you a detailed loving answer till you feel bored .....by a qualified eye surgeon !!

Comment

Poppy, flares/starburst can result from having problems with your tear film, which means the light is not refracted in a way that allows the eye to focus easily. I have the same problem, entirely related to dry eye. I don't drive very much because of the dry eye now, and have always found night driving quite a strain.

drrd2005, you seem to be promoting a website rather enthusiastically?

Comment

I get this - blurry vision and halos around lights - I think it's due to the eyes being watery. Even when I watch TV and use a comp there is a slight halo effect around the screen. Doc doesn't seem to think it matters as my stright-on vision with the classic wall chart reads 20/20 vision (with my glasses, anyway). However the dry eye most definitely affects my driving which is worrying.

Comment

Well at least I'm not alone. I had hoped it was mainly from the keratitis as there is at least some chance I will find a doctor at some point who will try and treat that.

When I look at say a green traffic light, there is this big blob of green around it that extends right down to the ground. Really distracting.

I think that having such a severe floater problem is not helping, the inside of my eyes are completely cloudy with tens of thousands of floaters. Of course I can't see the "cloud" much in the dark, but its got to be doing something to my night vision. I'd love to at least have the option of considering the floater surgery but I doubt I could have any form of surgery with my eyes in their current state.

Comment

When I look at say a green traffic light, there is this big blob of green around it that extends right down to the ground. Really distracting.
            I tended to have this just in one eye, actually the less dry of the two but with more reflex tearing and unstable tear film. This actually improved a lot after plugs/steroids, have felt safer driving since (only short trips so far).

I think that having such a severe floater problem is not helping, the inside of my eyes are completely cloudy with tens of thousands of floaters. Of course I can't see the "cloud" much in the dark, but its got to be doing something to my night vision. I'd love to at least have the option of considering the floater surgery but I doubt I could have any form of surgery with my eyes in their current state.
            I have lots of these too, large and small. Ophth. dilated eye to check they weren't due to retinal detachment (might be worth checking there isn't a problem if you haven't already). They are annoying but somehow seem worse when the tear film is poor, I've hardly noticed mine since my tear film stabilised. Large floaters will eventually settle apparently, but no guarantee that others won't appear.

Comment

Halos/starbursts from dry eye

Poppy,
              I have halos, severe glare also because of reflex tearing and unstable tear film. I also get it when corneal pressure is high and my cornea has lots of bumps on it, both from EBMD. Also with me, when I get corneal erosions that are more minor, I get severe glare. (with severe corneal erosions in central vision area that I get, I can't see anything but huge white glare, and that's all I see. But thank God, w/following a rigorous regimen including Muro 128 drops and ointment, I haven't had RCEs for a good 2 mos.

Guess this might be more confusing than helpful...

Maria

Comment

I found this topic interesting, as I don't often see the link between dry eye/tear film problems and starbursts, halo's and all that goes with it.

I have these things and have "virgin" eyes as well, no surgery, not even glasses or lenses.. acuity is fine but due to these other problems it makes my vision bad. Sounds crazy but it is =/.

I mentioned this in another post I made, but I wanted to ask relating to this --

Is there anything I can take be it over the counter, or prescription (or maybe both OTC and Rx) that will actually help 'heal' an eye like mine that has these problems.

It makes sense to me that the surface is being eroded or altered/irritated because of the lack of tear film, especially overnight -- and the eye never gets a chance to fully repair itself. I think I stay on the verge of just before a corneal erosion (I'm sure I have some minor erosions, beacuse of the pain.. but probably not like some of you experience.)

From what I've looked at, there are a bunch of drops in the store.. but there are only a few different ingredients,.. and all of them are symptomatic relief -- ie: Allergy, etc. None I see are literally doing something to 'heal' the eye over time.

From what I've read the cornea takes a while to heal itself, so if there is such a thing to help heal them then sticking to it regularly and being patient would be a must to expect any betterment of the symptoms.

Am I way off base here?

Thank you,

Comment

Halos/starbursts from dry eye

Hi Poppy,

I have the same issue and like Mgshutterbug, mine is caused by EBMD through my line of sight. So far nothing has "fixed it" and the doc says I just have to get used to it. My eye routine of drops, gels, compresses, moisture goggles, and humidifier is to try and keep the erosions at bay.

Comment

Working...
                  X