X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you know you have RCEs?

Hi,

I have noticed many people comment on RCEs as a symptom of dry eye. I was wondering what signs might one have with this? My doctor mentioned that I have 'speckles' on my cornea and prescribed some kind of anti-inflammatory drop.

I'm not sure if this is from a RCE? Is it possible that I wouldn't know that I was having this if the nerves in my cornea have not regenerated since the lasik (7 weeks ago)?

Thanks!

Hi, Bella-Girl.

It actually took a long for a doctor (the fourth one to view my corneas) to diagnose my RCEs, so it is hard to detect, because the cornea heals so quickly. I'd ask your doctor what he means by "speckles"; that is unclear and not too helpful. Also, since your cornea was recently disrupted by surgery, it would make sense that there would be some irregularities in your cornea.

RCEs are a result of an underlying condition, like a corneal dystrophy, or by trauma / injury to the cornea. The symptoms include sharp and severe pain, uncontrollable watering of the eye, and, depending on where they occur on the surface of the cornea, they can also affect vision.

It sounds like a more detailed conversation with your doctor may be needed. You could also ask if he / she thinks you are having RCEs.

Best wishes,
    Liz

Comment

speckles on cornea: could be 'superficial punctate keratopathy' if no pain - position of dot lesions helps diagnosis. Daughter had this with some photophobia, initially eye over-watering.
      Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Thank you Littlemermaid and Liz,

I will approach my doctor again. I am finding it sooo hard to get straight answers from some of these docotrs. I saw two different opthamologists on the same day. The first mentioned the 'speckles' and gave me non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drops (which I worked out with the pharmacist to change to preservative free drop, with docs okay). The second doc (lasik doc) did not mention any 'speckles' but did say I had 'no tears'. . . 'the whites of my eyes are not producing tears'. The second doc also put in lower plugs and told me to go on elavil.

From your descriptions I don't think I have had any RCEs. Thank you again.

Comment

Originally posted by bella_girl View Post
          Thank you Littlemermaid and Liz,

...The second doc also put in lower plugs and told me to go on elavil.
          I would have a talk with your doc about the Elavil. That medication can have a significant drying effect on the eye. That is probably the last thing you need right now. It made my DES much worse when I was taking it.
          Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Thanks Liz

I've done enough searching on the dryeye zone to realize that the Elavil would dry me out more. I have seen a Naturopathic doctor who gave me some herbal support: an adrenal adaptogen to support my stressed out adrenals and some soothing tea. She is also doing some Bowen therapy on me to help balance and heal my body. . . I'm not sure if it will help with the DES, but I definitely felt something was happening from an energy perspective. I am getting better, but I have moments when my eyes are sore and I panic and think 'am I always going to have to be worrying about my eyes?" I really appreciate the support available on dryeye talk!

Comment

I also find it hard to get straight (detailed) answers from the doctors.Then I get home and realize that they assumed I wouldn't understand medical terminology so they've used "common language" and I can't figure out what they really meant! Wish I could think to ask while still there.

I agree with Kitty's comment about the Elavil. I was on it for chronic pain disorders but had to stop due to dryness, but it was worse in mouth than eye for me.

Comment

Working...
              X