This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCE's and waking up often to put drops

Anyone waking up often to put drops to keep RCE's at bay (or for any other reason)? I'm currently waking up around every 2 hours in order to put drops, all other methods have failed so far.

I don't need drops during the day, and even when I go to sleep I don't put anything for the first 2 hours because every gel I've used resulted in corneal erosions during first phase of REM sleep. If I don't use anything, well, so far never happened.

But later into the night the eye really starts to get dry and I do feel the need to put drops, if I don't RCE will surely develop.

I am however a bit worried because of having to wake up so often, and what this may bring in the long-term.

Anyone with similar experience?

I wear tranquileyes goggles and put in lacrilube cream and viscotears drops three to four times a night.

I think it will do no harm as long as you get a decent sleep in between. Much less harm than waking up with a scream as you get an erosion and having to wait for the pain to subside enough to go to sleep again.

I was getting up to three a night and was in despair.

Strangely, my consultant advised me to use celluvisc drops at least every hour during the day even thought I did not feel they were so dry then.

It has gradually allowed my eyes to heal. It is almost two years now, but my erosions are down to one or two a month!

I also wear padded glasses outside (motorbike sunglasses) so I do not get anything in them as that starts off a week or so of erosions. Have a clear set of them for doing anything round the house like dusting that could bother my eyes.

I spend a half hour before bed with the heat pads and the tranquileyes and that makes my eyes nice and wet to start with.

I don't know if all these things are necessary, but I am afraid to take the chance. Once you get an erosion the membrane is more susceptible to damage so you are more likely to do it again.

When I go out, I carry a small makeup bag with a spare set of goggles and some of all my drops with instructions on how to use and much I need them. I worry about being in an accident and what would happen to my eyes if I was unconscious

Basically, I am saying that any bad effect from the broken sleep is much less than the risk to your sight and well being from the erosions. I have damage to the cornea that causes a bit of a problem but it could be much worse.

I hope you get some relief.

R

Comment

Working...
    X