Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PTK- Have you had it? Would you recommend it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTK- Have you had it? Would you recommend it?

Hi everyone! I just went to the doctor yesterday and she said because my recurrent corneal erosions are still occuring about 3 times a week with my bandage contacts in (which is apparently very unusual) that the next step is PTK. I have a basement membrane dystropy in my left eye which is causing an issue with my epithelium sticking to my eye. I have been having RCE multiple times a week since October 2011. I told her that I am going to keep my bandage contacts in for another 2 months and continue my crazy diet... no gluten, nuts, corn, sugar, dairy, coffee, wine....
    So my question is, should I follow her advice and get PTK? will my basement membrane grow back normal? or is the risk too great and should I just continue on with life and getting these awful RCE's??? Thanks in advance for any feedback you may have! jen

Ptk

I searched the forum for PTK and dont see any posts... I thought this was a pretty common procedure..?? Has anyone out there had it? Please help as I am torn on what to do.. Thanks! Jen

Comment

There's lots of posts and threads about PTK and similar procedures but I'm not sure our search tool will pick up a word that short - it may take some legwork to find discussions about it. I would look in the surgery archive and the RCE archive. Or search on the word debridement.

Here on the forum we have quite a mix of RCE patients - some who control it non surgically, some who have had improvement with debridement, PTK etc. Some people get this done two or three times without any lasting resolution, others see a lot of improvement afterwards.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks Rebecca!

Comment

Working...
        X