X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nine days post-op corneal debridement, problems

Hi All,

Thank you for reading this.
    Nine days post-operative for left corneal debridement, second time having this done. Vision still fluctuates, eye feels gritty, still watering, severe light sensitivity most of the time. The light sensitivity started getting bad on 4 days post-op and hasn't really improved. I didn't have these problems the first time. Doctor did use minocycline and also do diamond burr to the treatment.

I was told that the vision would improve every day, some days I wake up and it's almost clear then it gets worse thru out the day.

Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thank you

Hi - sorry to hear this, what a struggle.

Are you in bandage contacts? If now how long did you have them?

Do you have tools to help deal with this e.g. dark glasses, night eye protection, etc?

Cold compresses can help a lot with corneal pain....
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you for your reply,

Eye drops, eye gel, eye ointment, still taking the steroid drops and the antibiotic drops. Sitting in front of my computer with sunglasses on my glasses because of the computer glare.

The bandage contact lens came out on Monday, doctor said that the cornea was about 70% healed, that was 5 days post-op.

Comment

I use a program called f.lux which tones down the coloring on the screen based on lighting and time of day... helps me a lot.

Are you still on minocycline? Wonder if that might be exacerbating the photophobia.

Could you ask for new bandage lenses to wear for a few more days?
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

I might try the f. lux if the light continues to bother me. The minocycline was used only during surgery. Not too sure about a new bandage lens since they make my allergies go nuts, eye tends to water with anything like that. Strange since I was told that I was ahead on healing.

Comment

I have had the diamond burr procedure done and had a bandage contact lense put into my eye right after the procedure. My doctor did not take my bandage lense out until my cornea showed signs of fully being healed. While I had the bandage lense in he told me to use preservative free drops (less harmful to the cornea), 4x a day of vigamox, and he prescribed me acular (for redness, pain, and swelling). I also had some light sensitivity like you did but that went away after day 2.
            But another thing you should know is that my vision was very bad as well after my procedure 20/60, I could not see well until maybe a week ago. My vision has finally gone back to being good. The eye just takes time. I understand your frustration.

What it sounds like to me is that he took out the bandage lense after your diamond burr procedure a little too quickly. I had my diamond burr procedure done on April 6, 2012 and I have been erosion free since in my right eye (which I had done). Things will look up.

I just had the stromal puncture done on my left eye (smaller area of the cornea eroded) and have the bandage lense in right now. I hope it works just as good as the diamond burr. Good luck

Comment

Definitely a good idea to ask to wear the bandage lense a few more days. I would request the same.

Comment

Working...
              X