This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, Rebecca!

I just read today's DEZ bulletin, and I want to thank Rebecca for saying the following:

"Also, for those of you who are reading this and are wondering whether it's relevant to you, it's worth exploring because I believe this is a significantly underdiagnosed condition - and even in many cases where it's been diagnosed and is being treated, often the patients have no idea that this is what they have or what it means.

"So here are some clues that MIGHT indicate that you have ABMD: If your doctor has ever recommended Muro 128 ointment (or equivalent 0.5% sodium chloride ointment), or you remember hearing something about "dot map fingerprint" or "basement membrane" at an appointment, or if you get corneal erosions regularly, or if night/early morning are when your eyes have their biggest struggles, or if your doctor has ever talked about the possibility of lasering or debriding your epithelium (outermost layer of the cornea). If one or more of those apply to you, ask your doctor at the next visit whether s/he thinks you may have ABMD. If your symptoms are mostly at night or are worst at night, make sure you say so! In fact, for best results I highly recommend writing up a 1-pager with bulletin points describing your history, symptoms and their timing and frequency, and what treatment(s) you've tried, for how long and whether they were effective - then faxing it to your doctor the day before the appointment."

I remember reading somewhere that 2-40% of people have ABMD / EBMD. What's wrong with that figure? Clearly, people with it do not always have RCE's, and many doctors often cannot even see it. I also read that although people may have it, only 10% of those with it suffer from recurrent corneal erosions. So, I very much appreciate Rebecca's putting this notice out in the Bulletin. If I had known about my condition and precautions that I could have taken, I would have done it. Instead, I went to ophthalmologists for seven years, complaining about dry eyes and hearing that my eyes looked "fine" and being given some sample drops and sent home.

In a way, I am glad that I found out the problem, because if I had suffered with bothersome eyes, even without RCE's, for so long, there's no reason to think that I would not still be suffering. Instead, I am taking steps to improve, and I just feel much better knowing that my complaints are legitimate and not my being a complainer, which is how I felt when I would tell doctors about my dry-feeling eyes. I may be a complainer, but I like to think that I really have something to complain about.

Thanks, again, Rebecca!

--Liz

Thank YOU for the awesome list of links in your other post, Liz!! In fact your posts in general have been a big part of my own increased attention to RCE/ABMD issues in the past several months.

What brought on the couple of paragraphs about RCE in the bulletin was a conversation I had this afternoon with a caller. It was my umpteenth conversation of its type, this time with a 15 month-post-PRK patient who I suspect may have RCE (with onset apprx. 12 months after surgery - ironically, around the time his vision symptoms resolved).

Another issue that complicates the ABMD/RCE diagnosis, I tend to think, is that it may exist in the presence or absence of "dry eye", MGD, nocturnal lagophthalmos and all the other goodies that various folks here suffer from.

Such a complex puzzle this ocular surface disease stuff is! It would be so nice if doctors could just look at us and tell us what's wrong.... Alas, meantime, the more detective work we can figure out how to do on our own, the sooner we'll come to a diagnosis.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Diagnoses

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post

Another issue that complicates the ABMD/RCE diagnosis, I tend to think, is that it may exist in the presence or absence of "dry eye", MGD, nocturnal lagophthalmos and all the other goodies that various folks here suffer from.

Such a complex puzzle this ocular surface disease stuff is! It would be so nice if doctors could just look at us and tell us what's wrong.... Alas, meantime, the more detective work we can figure out how to do on our own, the sooner we'll come to a diagnosis.
      This is a good point, Rebecca. I became frustrated with how many doctors I needed to see before I got real answers. I should understand that it is really hard to pinpoint. I wonder if I would have had RCE's if I did not have dry eye syndrome along with ABMD.

One of those last links in the other post in this forum, the one from _Optometry Review_ (March 2008) is heartening for the following reasons: 1. It addresses a group of first-line doctors, optometrists rather than ophthalmologists, who see more people and more people routinely; 2. It explains very thoroughly what to look for; 3. It explains that ABMD is more widespread than initially thought; and 4. It mentions FreshKote.

So, I should not be so hard on the doctors who were trying to help me but threw up their hands, not knowing what else could be done.

--Liz

PS I'm sorry to hear that another person is suffering with this.

Comment

Sorry for my naivite, but what is ABMD and what is the difference between that and RCEs? I was diagnosed with Map Dot Fingerprint Dystrophy (after being seen the day after an erosion) and went to a second doctor when I didn't have an erosion who couldn't confirm the Map Dot, but did say I had RCEs?

Thanks to whoever responds.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorriah42 View Post
          Sorry for my naivite, but what is ABMD and what is the difference between that and RCEs? I was diagnosed with Map Dot Fingerprint Dystrophy (after being seen the day after an erosion) and went to a second doctor when I didn't have an erosion who couldn't confirm the Map Dot, but did say I had RCEs?
          ABMD (anterior basement membrane dystrophy)= MDF (map dot fingerprint dystrophy).

That's a abnormality/defect of the corneal structure itself. I think there is some debate over whether it's a true 'dystrophy'. But in any case, think of it as an anatomical thing. It can be subtle so the diagnosis is not necessarily very obvious.

Whereas RCE refers to a pattern of spontaneous injuries to the cornea that happen as a result of the ABMD - or from other causes, usually an injury.

Just FYI (sorry for the acronym-loaded post) you can always look up unfamiliar terms in the Dry Eye Encyclopedia. You can get there from the link at the top of this page too.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

OK. That makes a bit of sense. So if I was diagnosed with MPFD and then another doctor couldn't confirm it but said I had RCEs does the difference in diagnosis change anything? Would I do anything differently?

Comment

More Thanks

I would like to add my deepest thanks to Rebecca for hosting this amazing site and providing this great service to RCE sufferers.

I would also like to thank Liz56, Lucy and Mcgoldilocks (and countless others) for all thier posts.

Newbie Bob.

Comment

Bob, I love your avatar! Lucy
                Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                X