Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My dog poked my eye out (aka "organic trauma") and now I have RCE ... help!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dog poked my eye out (aka "organic trauma") and now I have RCE ... help!

I know it sounds silly, but my dog really did jump up on me and accidentally bonked me hard in the eye with his nose and that started the cycle ...

Basically, about three weeks ago this happened and I was diagnosed with some scratches on my cornea. I was told to use lubricating eye drops and things would heal up. Second day was no problem, no pain. Third day started out no problem, no pain then about 11am MAJOR continual sharp stabbing pain and watery eye. Went to optometrist, told me to use more lubricating eye drops. Pain continued through the night and next morning, but was better for a couple days following. Went out of town and the REAL pain hit ... couldn't sleep, jaw clenched from anticipating the pain, constant tearing, HORRIBLE. Went to optometrist out of town who diagnosed RCE, gave me polydex drops and a bandage contact lens. Since then I've had two more lenses and today saw optometrist because of continuing stabbing pain and was told that: a) my eye is heaing and b) I can't really be in that much pain. Holy cow ... !

I am so grateful that, after reading so many stories here, my situation has been relatively brief and I am hopeful this will eventually heal up. In the meantime, however, it's very difficult for me to work, sleep, eat, or pretty much live normally. And I gotta say, when I got the "you really can't be in that much pain" line today I was ready to go through the roof ... I really AM in that much pain. At this point, I'm planning on making an appointment with an ophthalmologist (referred to me by my internist) for another opinion, but before doing so I want to know if I'm really just being a crybaby about this. If I just have to suck it up and live with this pain for however long it takes to heal, I'll get okay with it ... but I'd feel better hearing from people who've been down this road.

Any and all suggestions are gratefully accepted!!!

Hi, EmgPeep.

I'm sorry to welcome you to the group of RCE sufferers here. For the record, they really *do* hurt like crazy! I'm sorry that you were treated by an insensitive person.

It sounds like you are under good care, however. If this treatment does not work, then there are other things that you can do before resorting to debridement or surgery. And, if you are reading here, you will find out about them.

The good news is that injuries tend to mean that you have a better chance of healing than if you have epithelial basement membrane dystrophy, which complicates matters but can still be overcome in many cases with just a good routine and the right eye drops.

It is also good that you got it diagnosed and treated very promptly!

Be patient, because it takes time to heal up properly, and as many doctors have told me, continue treatment until your doctor says that things are okay rather than until you "feel better."

Keep us posted on how your recovery is going!

--Liz

Comment

What a naughty pooch!

I was filled with rage to hear that people are being unsympathetic. Fine I understand that there's nothing interesting to see after a couple of hours, no blood, no pus, but FOR GOD'S SAKE IT'S A BLISTER ON YOUR EYEBALL.

My exact words when describing the pain are along the lines of: "You can get blisters on your cornea just like you can get blisters on your feet or anywhere else on your body. Mine blister really easily, the pain is excruciating, every time I blink or even move my eyeball it is like there are thorns underneath my eyelids, or I'm having razorblades dipped in acid slashed across my eyeballs. If I make the mistake of moving, then I can't help but scream with the sheer agony."

That shuts them up.

I wrote a post with details of how I cope when I'm having an erosion, you can read it here, maybe pick up some tips:

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/blog.php?b=71

Comment

love the levity!

thanks for all the good info liz. also, mcgoldilocks thanks for the advice AND the laugh. i'm leaving shortly to see a very NICE and SYMPATHETIC ophthalmologist after telling my internist what happened yesterday. i realize this isn't the end of the world and i won't lose my sight, but this has completely and totally disrupted almost three weeks of my life so far (and many nights with absolutely no sleep). and even when i have the periods where it's okay (like now, it's been okay since about 11am) i'm on pins and needles just waiting for the next bout of pain.

i can deal with, "it just takes time" ... i can't deal with being marginalized!

thanks so much for letting me vent and giving me great suggestions!

Comment

Hi, Emgpeep.

I'm glad that you found a more understanding doctor.

This condition (RCE's) is frustrating, because it is unpredictable, largely uncontrollable when it is in a cycle, disruptive by causing poor vision, and painful.

The patience and waiting for it to take time to heal is also not easy. At least, it was not for me. Hang in there. It does get better.

--Liz

Comment

New Doc was AWESOME!

The doctor I saw today was absolutely wonderful and I feel so much better now that I've seen someone who took the time to explain and did not minimize the pain ... ! Thanks again for sharing your wisdom with me and I'll check in again to give you a status report.

Comment

That's great! If you continue to be happy with the new doctor you might want to consider posting about them in the Plug-a-doc forum... lots of people around here are searching for doctors.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Will do ... !!!

Comment

Working...
                X