Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RCE/ABMD - possible Fluorescein Allergies ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCE/ABMD - possible Fluorescein Allergies ?

I am beginning to seriously believe that I may be violently allergic to the Fluorescein Stain drops my Opthalmologist uses during my checkups. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I went in for a 1 month erosion-free checkup. I really felt great. Doing my daily drops and such. He did the fluorescein stain check. He and I thought I looked fabulous and he released me to my daily routine and a good bill of health. BUT, within 4 hours my 'erosion' eye seemed to implode on itself: itchy, dry, gritty, foreign object sensation, red blood-shot, really red at the usual wound area, clinching pain, watering a bunch. All the worst sypmtoms of an erosion epsiode...without the erosion!

I can't find much on allergic reactions to Fluorescein drops. Ever heard of such a thing? And of course, I am increasingly frustrated with my doc; having been through three major erosion episodes and greater Keratectomy treatments each time, each episode 'worse' than the previous. He never considered any allergies??

My latest escapades are chronicled in latest post of my newbie thread:
    http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=6900

I am back to wonderful again, 7 days later. Eye looks as great as ever, white, no wound area, cornea has healed very well from the big keratectomy and perforation treatment.

Yes!!! It's very common - particularly in people who have rosacea.

Comment

Thanks, doing well.

I read up on rosacea; I don't have any of that. At least visually none on my skin or eyes. I have noticed some OTC allergy medications help, both with seasonal nasal congestion and some of the redness in my eyes. I wonder what allergies in general have to do with dry eye and erosions for me, a non-lasik, just normal dry eye?

I have been free from abrasions and erosions since the last keratectomy and cornea perforation about 4 weeks ago. Happy for that!

Comment

I also have had a bad reaction to fluorescein, sounding exactly like yours...took days to get over it. In fact, I asked the question in Dr Latkany's thread some months back, and he said this was quite common.

And yet most of the medical professionals I've seen and spoken to about this allergy have said they never encountered it, or just plain didn't believe me.

What I have found useful, which may help you, is as follows:
        most fluorescein they use has preservative in it. If you can persuade your eye doc to use unpreserved, or to dilute it only with p.f. saline solution, and then immediately rinse the eye out with p.f. saline solution you can minimise the ill effect.

I had to have fluorescein a couple of months back, and this is what we did, and I had minimal reaction.

hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks !

Thanks eva b! I reacted only to the strip type he used sometimes. The actual drop type he used other times did not affect me adversely.

My Doc tread lightly with my assertion of allergy to Fluorescein stain. He did not flatly deny the possibility. But since that wellness check and immediate fall into full-blown erosion and massive keratectomy, he has basically instructed me to go it alone as long as I don't need him. He said I know what's best for me day to day. And frankly I have been good, able to self-med myself through my daily routine very well. The original cause or injury is still unknown but I am fine with that for now. Perhaps the cause isn't to be known.

Comment

Working...
          X