Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone had Anterior Stromal Puncture??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone had Anterior Stromal Puncture??

I am on my 4th corneal erosion in 6 weeks so my Dr is suggesting an anterior stromal puncture as the next step. Has anyone had success with this for this problem? Thanks for all your help.

I just had it done yesterday. I have a contact lens in now, however i would be in some severe pain without it. Ill let you know how it goes.

Mike

Comment

Thanks, Mike2000z28. I always wonder how surgical options work for people with RCE's. I'll look forward to your updates.

--Liz

Comment

So sorry you're going though this. I'm curious though...do you use an ointment at night like Refresh PM? I know they are not favored on the boards but my eye docs have all said they are imperative for me to prevent corneal erosions. When I do use them regulraly, it does prevent me from getting erosians & nothing else does. It's something effective that's far less invasive then what your doc is suggesting as the next step. Just a thought.

Comment

Hey guys just giving an update. I still have the bandage contact lens since July when i had it done. I have to make an appointment to take it out. It sucks since i have been living a life i was used to living, not worrying about waking up or vision problems. The doc says my eye is healed, however i know once the contact comes out, im going to be screwed again and the next procedure down the list is the laser resurfacing i believe. I wish i could leave the contact in forever, hahah with antibiotic drops, much better alternative than getting more RCEs.

Comment

ASP described

I'm having RCE's myself now and my OD has mentioned this but I forgot to ask more about it.
            What exactly does an ASP involve?
            I've searched on this site and can't find a description and the web searches point me to info beyond my understanding.
            Thanks in advance
            -Ric
            "In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer"
            -Albert Camus

Comment

Ok well heres an update. I had the stromal puncture done in July, and basically we left the bandage contact in there till about 2 days ago. I know your not supposed to go for more than a month with the same contact, but the doctor didn't tell me that.

Anyway it is very nerve racking without the safeguard of the contact and i do have a hardtime sleeping because im afraid im going to wake up without checking to see if my eye is stuck or not. I was living worryfree for the past 3-4 months. Anyway the procedure at least how he did it to me, was he laid me down on the exam table, put the eye opener on and shined a light and basically poked my eye with a needle instrument numerous times and then put the contact on afterwards. Vision took about a week to return to normal. When you get your eyes examined through the little eyescope you can see the holes the puncture procedure left, it is freaky to see the holes! However you don't see them in your line of sight normally.

He did tell me that he only has a couple patients with MDFD like myself who have it bad IE drops and ointments are useless. Also told me that a humidifier wouldn't help me because its genetic for my case.

Comment

Hi! I had the Anterior Stromal Puncture done too - twice - and it's not as bad as it sounds. My dr had me sitting up for the procedure, and even though you know there are little holes being put in your eye, you can't feel it. The drops they put in make your eye totally numb. My eyes don't like the contact bandage - I wore it for two days, then they patched my eye shut for two more days. After that, I was fine with nothing in my eye and had to use drops every hour for a week or so.

If you do get this procedure, I recommend asking for a vicodin, or whatever other medication they will give you for the pain, and take it before you leave the doctor's office. Once those eyedrops wear off, your eye will feel exactly like someone poked it with a needle. Take the painkillers and rest. Books on tape are good to pass the time.

Good luck to all who are facing the ASP procedure. My second one worked great and I have been erosion free in that eye for almost two years!
                ~Sheila

Comment

Working...
                X