This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BENEFITS of having dry eye

Probably most dry eye sufferers think a lot about the negative aspects of having this disease. That's why I would like to compile a list with you guys that has a lot of benefits of having dry eye.

I know, that might sound strange to you, but here I go and start the list:

1) It taught me humility. Before getting dry eye, I had tendencies of arrogance (I am so intelligent / I will be so successful / I ...). Now I realise that people who have everything (money, health, relationships and most importantly: happiness) are basically just very lucky. Even if they worked hard for it and overcame adversity, they are still lucky because they had the necessary determination and resilience in the first place.

2) It taught me compassion. I think experiencing suffering makes you more sensitive to the suffering of others and makes you want to help others. This is often seen in this forum. By being really compassionate about other people your connection to them becomes much more meaningful - as opposed to having "friends" that you regularly meet for superficial chatter and mutually demonstrating how great you are.

3) It made me less materialistic. Before getting dry eyes, I was quite preoccupied with what I own and how much expensive stuff I would be able to obtain. Now I deeply know that while a certain degree of material things are helpful and nice, stuff generally doesn't make you happy.

4) It can help you developing resilience which will be useful when you face adversity next time. For example, I study optimism and gratitude now and realised that there will almost certainly be always aspects in one's life that are not the way we want and that it's therefore important to learn how to "dance in the rain".

5) It can be used as a good filter when it comes to selecting a loving partner. If you mention to a prospect at the beginning that you have dry eyes and put drops and ointment in your eyes all the time and use hot compresses every night or even wear protecting glasses all the time, then it alienates some people that you wouldn't want to be with in the first place. If you have somebody who doesn't care about these things, then this person probably really likes you.

Addition to point 4, resilience:

Because of having dry eyes, I studied how to best deal psychologically with physical discomfort and pain. This knowledge will be helpful when another physical complaint such as lower pack pain emerges or when I am a senior.

Comment

i would rather not have to deal with these 'benefits,' but you do make a great point and youre right . those are all definitely things ive learned

Comment

thanks

What a great outlook you have and I plan to bookmark this to read when having a rough day.I for one,sometimes find it hard to overcome the daily discomfort and will gain much needed insight from your learning experience. Thanks

Comment

Yes, great post. Being optimistic has its advantages when dealing with chronic pain. Many times when we feel depressed because of our condition, it is important to understand that this is just a feeling and does not necessarily have to be our reality. We ALWAYS have a choice on how to view things, even when we are in pain.

Comment

i think you are right in what you point out, I thought that some time before;but i believe that these benefits can be really valuable if we find the cure;

i can be pesimistic, but if you dont find the solution, they are kinda worthless.., i can be a little cynical but it is better to be rich and healthy and not poor and sick.

Of course that this pain, opens our hearts, and make us sensitive to other people's reality..,
            but if you are not at your 100%, you cant give the 100% to others.

Comment

Great post.

You know, when we're 'in the thick of it' - stuck in the emotional abyss so many here have been through - the character-building benefits of this kind of suffering are often the last thing we want to hear about.

But when we come out the other side in some degree - and I mean emotionally not physically! - it's easier to look back and see the positives. In fact maybe seeing it is a sign of having come out the other side.

I hope a great many people are inspired to look for the positives by your post, wetEyes.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

It will make you appreciate disease(s) that will not have the ability to take your life, although it is very painful, annoying and interruptive of daily life. (Is interruptive a word?)

As we all get older, most will experience things worse than dry eyes, believe it or not. If not us, our parents, or grandparents, even our kids. Many of these diseases are so serious they can cause death. When you have to deal with that depth of problem, you can remember the dry eye thing wasn't quite as bad.

I hope this isn't morbid. I was just asked this on a Sjogrens thread. I had the answer right on the end of my tongue. Dry eye ain't the worse, baby.
                Sorry for the jest. I really hate it and it has been in front of my face for 10 years.
                Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Some of the below only semi serious:

- I avoided hospitals, Doctors etc before. Now I might as well change my address to my hospital.

- I've learnt I have a thyriod condition - I'd never have known about it

- Wearing goggles at work means I can keep my eyes closed in the office, sometimes even have a micro sleep

- Goggles let me look at women whilst standing in queues and they can't tell (note to self, delete this before posting)

- On my deathbed, I can blame DES if my life sucked!

Comment

I'm struggling with this sentiment if I'm honest.

Migrants from Ireland in the 1950s, we were steeped in the Catholic Church’s ancient traditions and guided by its precepts. We were constantly reminded of the redemptive character of human suffering; it could teach us about our limitations of what we were and what we were not. Well that is certainly true.

But it's not just the quality of the character of the person suffering that's put to the test, it's also the quality of character of those around them.

I can't really appreciate any of the positives that might come with having this condition because it has sorely affected the lives of those around me. I don't think I am any more compassionate than I was before - in fact I regret that physical limitations prevent me from translating my compassion into practice.

My mother was greatly enriched by the work she did for others and I just wish I had the stamina to do the same.

If anyone recalls the heart transplant surgeon, Christiaan Barnard, this is a quote of his

`Suffering isn't ennobling; recovery is'

Comment

Never in a million years would I have thought that some stupid oil glands in my eyelids would change my whole perspective on life.

I agree with FMW, it is an intense learning experience..once you're on the other side.

Comment

Wow, I didn't expect to get so much feedback so quickly!

One example of my increased compassion: Before getting dry eyes, I often thought things like "don't complain" when my grandmother told me about her sever back pain (her spine is really messed up from doing heavy farm work even as a young girl) and her pain from rheumatoid arthritis (her joints look swollen). I would pretend to be interested and then ask her what's for dinner. Now I can relate and am compassionate towards her. As a result, I really care and give her a warm hug. That really puts a smile on the old lady's face

An example of the "relationship filter" argument that I made: my ex girlfriend (we broke up by mutual agreement in late December) told me that she would break up with me if I started wearing "goggles" and wasn't very caring in general. Who needs such a partner for a long-term, loving relationship?

Comment

WetEyes, you've got a great perspective on things... Although I have my moments where I can be more philosophical about things, on a lot of days, well, I'm just not there... my way of coping is to just distract myself with life in general...

So, my contribution to this thread will be on the lighter side...

Benefits:
                          1) My Wiley's with the clear lenses have prevented me from being poked in the eye countless times...

I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old who love to use me as a human jungle gym... without my Wiley's, well... I cringe at the thought!

2) As jlg_uk has mentioned, wearing the sunglasses-style goggles are great for watching people when you don't want them to know you're looking lol

Since I'm a happily married woman, I don't use my Wiley's to check out girls, but sometimes you see stuff that just makes you want to indulge in a really good stare... it's kind of nice to be able to stare away!

*note to self* Technique is important though! Never have your face actually pointed towards the person you're staring at... just look out of the corner of your eye so they think you're looking at something other than THEM!

3) I've always thought brushing my teeth is so incredibly BORING! I mean obviously it must be done, but, well, I'd rather be doing something more fun...

Luckily, thanks to the wonders of dry eye, I have a handy dandy ipod with audiobooks on it. Never again will tooth-brushing be boring, as I can just listen to my latest audiobook as I brush and floss away!

Comment

Originally posted by SAAG View Post
                            *note to self* Technique is important though! Never have your face actually pointed towards the person you're staring at... just look out of the corner of your eye so they think you're looking at something other than THEM!
                            Oh yeah - I'm a master at this. It really teaches you to act nonchalontly. It's also funny, because you can see the glances people give you when they think you're not looking. Although, maybe that's just the wierd looking guy that is me

Comment

Originally posted by SAAG View Post
                              ...sometimes you see stuff that just makes you want to indulge in a really good stare... it's kind of nice to be able to stare away!
                              TOO funny. So I'm not the only one.

Here's one of my favorite benefits: With scleral lenses, I could cut onions all day long with no tears or burning. If that sounds trivial, well, I'm married to a Greek and everything Mediterranean starts by sauteing onions, garlic and olive oil.
                              Rebecca Petris
                              The Dry Eye Foundation
                              dryeyefoundation.org
                              800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                              X