Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DCRdryeye, thanks for the reply, iv already had one set fitted and they felt comfortable on but once removed they left a mark along the top of my sclera, so im gettin another slightly modified set shipped in (turn around on shipping is very quick only a couple of weeks, not that times really an issue tho). Iv been told to be patient as it may take a few modifications to get the perfect fit. As far as I'm aware continuing to tweak the lenses is all part of the process for all sceral lense fittings. Anyway i wont mention anymore here either for now but feel free to PM if you have some advise you think would be valuable to me and i can do the same. Cheers.

Comment

Drutt - did you have a chance to walk around with them in the city for a few hours to see how you handled the wind, etc. How long did you wear them for. A mark on the sclera where the edge of the lens sits is often normal, but can also mean it was sitting too far back and tight on the eye. I've had modifications done so mine were so light that no mark was left at all and was extremely easy to remove. Generally, a good trial you'd need to wear them outside for at least 2 or more hours and give feedback then. If you did not have this time, and they simply felt comfortable for 30 minutes or so, often, they can become uncomfortable after one hour and the glitches reveal themselves. You can then give better feedback. You may have walked around for a few hours? I'm only guessing, but if you didn't, next time, I'd advise a longer wear time for your next trial.

The sclerals you are using are the new mini-scleral lens known as 'NormalEyes 15.5' from Paragon Vision Sciences, based in Mesa, AZ. I've personally trialled 16" Katt sclerals and the coverage was not enough to ease the pain. We then went to 18" and it made a HUGE difference in comfort, walking against wind was easier, etc. However, it wasn't perfect and I'd still require my moisture chambers. I have pain over my entire exposed conjunctiva, not just the cornea, so I require larger sclerals and that's currently happening. So we are now going for 20" with a different modified and improved version of the Katt lens. I have no idea how they'll feel...fingers crossed. It certainly is a trial and error thing.
      Last edited by DCRdryeye; 29-Oct-2013, 04:59.

Comment

DCRdryeye, I had the first set of sclerals for a couple of weeks to trial at home as they seemed to fit and feel comfortable when tried on in the practice. I was able to wear them for 2-4 hours every few days in various environments. It wasn't until having my eyes examined after wearing them for a few hours before my follow up appointment that my optometrist decided that they were not suitable and need some tweaking. I have question about larger lenses and the op was keen to expand but this is all that is offered for now. Good luck with your 20" version, im very keen to here how you go.

Comment

I'm so relieved to hear you had a good trial with the lenses. So it was the op that recommended they need tweaking, that was very good of him. I'll indeed let you know how I go with the 20" sclerals. Usually, the shorter the diameter, such as yours, the more comfortable and it takes more tweaking and adjusting to get a more comfortable feel with the larger diameter. So I may-be in for a roller coaster ride, it's a ride I've been on many times with sclerals.

Comment

Can you guys give an indication of prices, mark hinds is the opt I was recommended by somebody else to try aswell, does he do the larger sclerals? and are you better off getting the proper boston sclerals?

Comment

I rang Mark Hinds office a few months ago and recall it was a little over $2,000. The boston lenses aren't specifically the "proper" lenses. The lenses Hinds uses and other manufacturers in Australia use the same material. The only difference is at BFS you get your perfect fitting sclerals quicker since you're almost there in residency for two weeks. Whereas in Australia it takes 2-3 weeks between each tweak and adjustments. You could get lucky and find the first or second adjustment is perfect for you in Australia so why not do it? You only have $15,000 to lose by going to BFS. Isn't 2 grand cheaper and it gives you a chance to try sclerals with an experienced fitter.

Comment

Working...
              X