This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That "menthol" sensation

At the risk of asking the obvious: would you guys agree that the feeling we often describe as "that menthol sensation," or "like a raw wound" is, in effect, the result of evaporative dry eye, i.e. surface irritation?

So many of us, especially post-LASIK, get this MGD diagnosis. We have relatively good aqueous production (Schirmers) but cruddy lipids (TBUT) - the water's coming out, but there's nothing holding it to the eye. We get too much surface exposure, the veins pop out and - presto! - "that menthol sensation."

Ergo: the approach to attack this, and God willing reverse some of it, is to boost the lipids, every way possible - fish oil, lid massage/gland expression etc.

(Or, do we think that "sensation" perhaps originates more from the damaged nerves at the site of the interface? This is a source of much confusion for me!)

Thanks,
    Rob

Rob,

In my case, I do think it is a little bit of both things you suggested. I did not have lasik but a cyst aspiration that left scar tissue on the conjunctiva which is very aggravating without oil.

I have found that if I wear my goggles 24-7, literally. This helps me tremendously to relieve the menthol sensation. The lacriserts also work wonderfully. When I wear them, I don't need the goggles as they provide a layer of protection to keep my tears on the eye.

I now wear a thin satin sleep mask to block out the light at night and a pair of walmart paint goggles over that to bed. This has helped me in recent days to have better mornings. I can even sleep with my fans on.

Oh the things we have to do. Thank God I'm married with three kids that were born to embarrass anyway... It's quite a site.

Best wishes,
    Melissa
    pianolady

Comment

Working...
    X