No announcement yet.

Panoptx update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anything comparable, for strong Rx and progressive? and without distortion?

I read, with joy, the many wonderful accounts of excellent Panoptyx options, but my local Panoptyx dealer tells me that there is no prospect for a lens to be made in any Panoptyx frame, in my strong distance Rx (with progressive lower portions for reading and mid-range vision). . .I've tracked every lead I see, so far, for alternatives, but so far, no luck. Has anyone actually purchased a wraparound with the following features?:

1) lens cup (replaceable) for full protection from air
    2) lens can be made in distance Rx greater than 4.00
    3) lens can be made with progressive Rx
    4) distortion due to wraparound shape is not significant
    5) lens is available in clear material

I have RecSpecs (that were hugely expensive. . .moreso than my moisture chamber glasses), but I cannot wear them for more than a few minutes at a time, as their vision distortion is so severe as to make me unsafe in them, not to mention, dizzy and disoriented . .

Thanks, everyone, for listening. . .I will treasure any inputs from people who are seeing really well, 24/7, out of a wraparound that has a strong Rx. . .
    <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

(((((Rojzen)))))

Sorry but remind me how high your Rx is?

I talked to Panoptx about this again this morning. While I can't get detailed information and they can't commit right now, they ARE fully aware of this need and really are working on it.

Did I ever mention to you the lady at our meeting last year who had made her own, in the pre Panoptx days? She'd lined a pair of glasses with... weatherstripping. It was discreet and effective.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Rojzen--you're right--it's hard to find the combination you're looking for.

See the style below, says it's available up to 7 sph, 2 cyl power.

Adidas Elevation Pro
        http://www.bicyclerx.com/category.php?catid=2

Distortion is hard to avoid with progressives in general, and with wrap-arounds made from polycarb especially. Perhaps you could order a simple bifocal instead--that would cut down on the expense and the distortion--and you CAN get used to them (I wear PAL's too, but have worn bifocals in the past).

I tried doing a search for the "insert" type lens--it's a more normal type Rx frame that hooks on behind the wraparound. But I couldn't find any with the foam lining. I know there must be something out there to fit your needs, though. Have you posted your question to sci.med.vision (google forum)? There are some excellent opticians there, who love to help with question like these.

Good luck.

C66

Comment

It just occurred to me... Optiboard would be a good place to try. They have thousands of opticians in that forum, and they're very helpful, surely somebody there can come up with an idea for us. I've posted the request there. I'll try and follow up but just in case here's the thread if you want to monitor it.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Just checked on the responses today--nothing very helpful yet---some links to opticians who can do custom high Rx wrap lenses. I guess it's a start.

In reading the thread, I was reminded that people just don't "get" the dry eye thing unless they actually have it (one poster implied that castor oil drops were a cure--i.e. "forget the glasses; go for the cure"--we WISH).

Oh well.

C66

Comment

immensely touched; you are the cats' pajamas!!!

Hi, Everybody - - Please forgive my slowness in replying to your amazing efforts on my behalf. . .Those who have researched solutions to my high-Rx problem with wraparounds, and even posted requests to experts, for me, are precious people. . .the kind whom Elizabeth Edwards talks about in her book about the kind strangers who got her through the loss of her son and her first bout with cancer. . .At the moment, I'm preoccupied with finding a way to thank you properly. ..but I should also be constructive, and act on your findings. . .I will post again shortly with my Rx, for Rebecca, who inquired. . .I have to dig that up. . .(I'm living out of suitcases these days, as I attempt to move West). . .and I will later check out those opticians' web fora. . .

It's great news that Panoptyx is aware of the demand for high-Rx lenses that don't distort. . .I think that a traditional bifocal is a GREAT idea, too, in this vein. . .What's so interesting is that even though our disease, when it is not induced by something like Lasik, strikes people, at the highest frequency, in the age group in which complex and high Rxs are most likely to occur. . .Panoptyx and other cos. could make a financial killing on people like me, I think, if they would just awaken to the volume of our demand, and then market to us. . .Elders like me (over 50), though not me personally (I am about to become unemployed - -Oy ) . .also tend to have the highest spending power. . .All the more reason for the goggle companies to start producing for us!

Anyway, guys. . .You are the cats' pajamas!!!! More shortly. . .
              <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Back again, and REELING from what Rebecca has to deal with

Hi, again, Rebecca and friends. . .Before i forget, here is my Rx:

-5.25 x -1.50 Axis 180, Add +2.25
                -7.50 x -2.00 Axis 165, Add +2.25

So I'm very nearsighted, and very presbyopic too (not to mention my delightful TBUT of 0 sec (:^)). . .

. .Just read the thread that Rebecca's post, on my behalf, to Optiboard generated, and boy was that an eye-opener!!! Some responses about problem with distortion in wrap-arounds were constructive, but too technical for me to adopt without simply referring the matter to a local optician to implement. . .Local opticians I've tried generally are unwilling to work with labs they don't have relationships with already. . .and so I'm not sure whether my bringing a distortion-offset chart, to help a lab compensate while making a curved lens, is going to pan out. . .I sort of tried this with my RecSpecs, and the results were still unusable ($700.00 later). . .The lab made 2 or 3 lenses, as each came back unusable. . .and finally I had to accept the last product. . .I basically can't wear the glasses.

How crushing, moreover, to find that the opticians on Optiboard could be so rude, at times, to Rebecca . . who articulated so beautifully and scientifically. . .Those who offended also trivialized our disease with real abandon. . .They even seem to think we have never heard of moisture chamber glasses (I have 3 pairs, and would not be seeking wraparounds now if these m.c. glasses had the durability and protection I need). . .

Anyway. . .I LOVE the Panoptyx I tried on in Ohio, because the inner foam cup produced a fabulous seal . ..better than my moisture chamber flaps. . .and a pair of Panoptyx does not need its own furniture! (Has anyone ever tried to care for moisture chambers? They are great, but they tear easily, and can barely be cleaned. . .Since they cannot fold, one has to bring boxes along everywhere, when travelling. . .In other words, fragility and hygiene are big issues, and very limiting). . .I could not live without the m.c. glasses, but we ALL deserve the convenience and beauty of the Panoptyx solution, and I, for one, am sick of being a HUGELY functional member of society and having to deal with a prosthetic that slows me down so, like the mc.s. . .

Sorry about the griping. . .That Optiboard thing, though, just really brings home how heroic we are, dealing with this affliction, and remaining productive, while even the enterprises that could make profits off of our needs don't seem to pay much attention. . .

Thank you, again, everybody. . .I have an optician in Columbus independently researching the distortion problem, and she may have news this week. . .If so, I shall post it. . .
                <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Here is one solution for high prescription : http://www.heavyglare.com/prescripti...unglasses.php#

http://www.heavyglare.com/prescription_sunglasses.php

http://www.heavyglare.com/

Work great!

Comment

Hallelujah!

The HeavyGlare products look amazing. . .So exciting to see a company focusing DIRECTLY on eliminating distortion in high-index prescriptions! Thank you thank you thank you thank you SammyJo. . .What a breakthrough! If the co. has a product I can afford, I'll order it in my wacky Rx, and provide feedback here. . .This is cause for serious merriment. . .
                    <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Working...
                    X