No announcement yet.

Fit-Over Safety Glasses w/ Foam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you wear regular prescription glasses, the fit-over sunglasses are a good thing to carry in your car. You'll never be caught without sunglasses. You may not want to wear them out shopping, but they can suffice for driving, or a walk on the beach.
    Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Rojzen, check your PM's.

Comment

Review of Wesco Fit-Over Foam Goggles and Optx Stick-On Reading Lenses: 2 Thumbs-Down

I received the Wesco goggles yesterday and I'm disappointed. The plus is that they do fit over my reading glasses and they have little "windows" on the sides for peripheral vision. However, The fit, even without my reading glasses on, is rather tight. The "arms" fit very tightly against my head and it's uncomfortable. Most importantly, the foam does not seal well on the face, so it would not work as a moisture chamber. Although the foam does go completely around the lenses, it does not make contact on my cheeks, especially on the outer bottom sides. I thought maybe they were designed more for a man's face, so my fiance put them on but he had the same problem. So it's not my face that's the problem (whew!) but the goggles. I like the "onion" goggles better but they don't fit over reading glasses.
        So I give these goggles a thumbs-down. The idea is good, but put into practice, they do not work.

OK, next item -
        I also received the Optx stick-on lenses today.
        First of all, I was under the impression that these were soft and flexible and stuck right onto any lens like "Colorforms". I had seen these advertised on Magellen's travel site for quite a bit more money. And in that ad, they just look flexible to me.

Here is a link to that site:
        http://www.magellans.com/store/Eyewe...sesBA726?Args=
        And here is a link to the actual Optx site, where they actually refer to them as "flexible":
        http://www.optx2020.com/

So anyway, they are NOT flexible and do not self-adhere to anything. They are hard little pieces of plastic. That, in and of itself, is not a big deal other than that they don't quite conform to just anything. But they are NOT self-stick. You have to wet the inside of your goggles or glasses lens and then place the Optx lens onto the inside of the glasses lens and let them dry. I can certainly see why Stella said that they fall off. I really can't see why they wouldn't fall off eventually.
        Well, I put them in the new Wesco goggles, I put them in my Onion goggles, and I put them in my sunglasses. Results: Lousy in the Wesco goggles, Lousy in the Onion goggles, Mediocre in the sunglasses. Overall, in the goggles they were pretty useless. In the sunglasses, they were better than nothing, but I had to strain to find the right spot for reading and they didn't even seem to be the right strength (and I only wear 1.5, which is not that strong to begin with).
        Complete disappointment. Once again, a great idea, but put into practice, they don't work. Another thumbs-down.

So I spent a lot of money and nothing worked as advertised.

Also spent a lot of money on dinner tonight but at least that was really good!

Comment

So I spent a lot of money and nothing worked as advertised.
          NY'er, thanks for reporting on your experience with the two items. True, it's too bad you spent $$ on things that you can't use, but you have helped everyone on this board. It's by trial and error that "we" find the stuff that works best for us. We are so eager for "things to help" that we often will pay anything. I was actually thinking of buying some of the removable bifocals, but think I'll look locally and see if any of the optical shops carry them so I can see what I'm getting.

Prescription Panoptx goggles with/or without bifocals are expensive and hard to fit. When people on here talk about it, I try and give them a warning about the difficulty, but also that I have a pair that work well for me. Glad your dinner was good tonight, sorry about the eye paraphernalia, though.

PS. I got the spelling for "paraphernalia" from spellcheck. Looks wrong to me, but I won't argue with spellcheck.
          Lucy
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

NYer,

I have used the stick-on bifocal segments successfully, but you have to tinker with the placement and shape. I usually end up trimming the "nose side" to the shape of my frame so that they fit closer in----flush with the inner frame edge, in fact (not centered in the bottom part of the frame). Maybe you already tried this. With my smaller glasses I had to trim off quite a bit--and they were a "custom shape," when I finished, not transferable to any other pair of frames.

You also have to set the top of the segment 1-2 mm below the pupil of your eye (when looking straight ahead). So the placement varies with each frame and depends on how the frame fits your face and where your pupillary centers are in the frame. The plastic adheres with a thin layer of water and pressure; I have not had trouble with them falling off or shifting, once dry.

Sorry the fit-overs didn't work. I think I was the one that first gave a link to them, but I didn't order them for myself. It's trial and error, that's for sure--we're all different shapes and sizes. I think they fit one forum member here, I forget whom.

Calli

Comment

my Wesco experience

I also purchased the fitovers from Wesco. I agree, they are not a perfect fit. The foam does not seal all the way toward the back (it is there, it just doesn't fit against the cheek at the bottom. ) and one side fits better than the other, however, they are a little more comfortable than having to wear safety goggles all day long. I do have some problems with the temples pressing on the tops of my ears too. I wish the temples were adjustable. My safety goggles have their own issues. There doesn't seem to be a perfect solution. I am glad I purchased the fitovers because it gives me an alternative that I can switch between the two.

Best wishes,
              dryeyes2

Comment

Working...
              X