Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pain of goggles

Hi Everyone:

It is unavoidable now. I will have to wear goggles. As much as I hate the idea of them it is the last resort. How do u let go of the pain and allow yourself to wear them. I am mentally wrong somehow to be so oppossed to them. I wish I could just accept it and not care what others think but it is something I dread so much. ANy tips to letting go would be deeply appreciated.

K
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

First of all, don't think of them as "goggles." They really AREN'T goggles. Call them Panoptx or 7Eye or Wiley's, or moisture-chamber glasses. And seriously consider buying the new MEGS that are described on several threads here. They are really the best-looking, in my opinion. I think they're ideal for indoor use and on-the-job.

Maybe start by purchasing the dark lens sunglasses type and wear them outdoors, so you can get used to the way you look in them. Train yourself to notice how much better your eyes feel when you wear them, so you can associate positive thoughts with them.

Maybe splurge on a fabulous haircut, some elegant clothes---whatever makes you feel beautiful.

You are not "wrong" to be opposed to them---but they have become a symbol for the bigger thing---that you must finally accept living with "problem eyes." If your eyes get more comfortable by wearing them, then this will surely help you feel better.

You have to remember that other people may not even notice what kind of glasses you're wearing. People are mostly pre-occupied with their own thoughts, and may only give you a few extra moment's notice because of the glasses. They will notice it even less if you stand straight, move with confidence, and smile.

C

Comment

Goggles

AH!! You sound a bit like me, today I order the dreaded goggles and I cried, it sounds crazy but there it is! Didn't know there were different types, are some for day, others for night? I plan on trying them at night while sleeping, if I can't stand that I will use in place of compresses before bed.
      I have not educated myself enough about this whole thing, I just keep thinking it will go away. My eyes hurt so much I am back on the site looking for answers. My new doc. is treating me for ocular rosacea.
      I think we will feel so wonderful to be pain free and and get a solid nights sleep we just won't care what it looks like! Good Luck, Jumpy

Comment

Kim, I'd start by wearing them 100% of the time that no one else is around. That's what a lot of people get the onion goggles for. Max out on the benefits when the single disadvantage is not a factor. ANY time spent in moisture chambers can give benefits that can extend into the rest of the day.

Remember that 7Eye and Wileys have a pop-out gasket. If you feel self-conscious with them on outdoors in some circumstances, pop it out and convert them to normal sunglasses.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Jumpy View Post
          ...I cried
          Forgive my Friday-afternoon sense of humor but around here that can be a good thing

Didn't know there were different types, are some for day, others for night? I plan on trying them at night while sleeping, if I can't stand that I will use in place of compresses before bed.
          There are goggles for sleeping in (tranquileyes). Usually the things people refer to as 'goggles' for daytime use are either 7Eye/Wiley-X type sunglasses with a foam lining (designed for bikers & skiiers) or similar things like "Onion Goggles" which are like a cheap knockoff of those but with clear lenses.
          I think we will feel so wonderful to be pain free and and get a solid nights sleep we just won't care what it looks like!
          I'm with you on that. This might sound a little unfair but although I've got plenty of sympathy for the cosmetic un-appeal problems, my personal opinion is that if someone refuses to wear them at all, they're not in enough pain to need them. When we get desperate, we do what we gotta do.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a pair of 7eye SPF75. They fit close to the face but don't block out 100% of the wind etc...just 75%. However they look like regular fashion glasses. I'm going to give them a few weeks and if they don't work out then I am going to go the "biker chic sans bike" glasses. I figure I wil be able to use the two pairs depending who I'm around. My family and friends get the "google" and hot young men will get the SPF75's.

I know though what you mean about buying these glasses. Its not just the vanity issue, its also admiting and commiting to there being a problem that itsn't going away. Its feels like a blow to have to take this step.

I know as soon as I feel the comfort that others rave about I will wonder why I didn't do it sooner...but until then I'm not that happy about having to go down this road.

Bernadette

Comment

Kim (and the rest of the ladies on this site), do you need vision correction? Back when I wore contacts and before knew I had dry eyes, I could not stand being outside without sunglasses...esp if there is a breeze.

I use to wear these BCBG sunglasses all the time...I loved them...they were totally cute, and wrapped around my face (I have small slim face), and sits really close to my face, blocking out most of the wind. I find that it actually fits better than Panotpx for me, and sometimes even fogs up...so it's pretty good at keeping the humidity in. I wish I could wear them now...damn my myopia!
              Here they are on Zappos (no shipping at all, even on returns, so you have nothing to lose):
              http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7416457/c/150337.html

And this is this season's style: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7416460/c/385.html (cheaper on Zappos's that buying it direct from BCBG).

Let me know if you can use these!

Comment

I don't mean to be a wet blanket here...but those of you living in the US should be grateful that you are able to get proper moisture chamber glasses (Panoptx and Wileys)...never mind they might look a bit strange...

Here in the UK we can't get them except by mail order from the US, which is virtually impossible because of the fitting issue - so I am condemned to wearing some fit-over clear goggles from a motor bike supplier which make me look like something from "the Fly"

Yes, I occasionally get funny looks in the supermarket, but much less often than you think. And frankly, as Rebecca says, if your eyes feel bad enoough to REALLY need them you actually don't care!!!

sorry if this comes over a bit aggressive - had a few bad eye days recently

Comment

rock 'em like Bono

Oh, you have my sympathy, really, because I don't like the way my Panoptx look, and sometimes I can't believe that I had PRK because I didn't want to wear glasses any more and now I'm stuck with these really uncool "goggles" all the time.

That being said, some stories:

1. I wore onion goggles to a belly dancing class. This was before I got my Panoptx, and the air movement in the dance studio was killing me. Rebecca is right: you do what you gotta do.

2. The first time he saw me in the onion goggles, my husband laughed and said, "You remember that commercial where Charles Barkley plays Godzilla? Those look like the goggles Godzilla was wearing!"

3. When I first got my Panoptx (I have "Churada" black frames with transition lenses so I can wear them indoors and outdoors, and I wear them with the strap tightened), I was feeling pretty self-conscious. But since I'm trying to have a life, my husband and I went to a fundraiser at an art gallery downtown. It was all very hip. While there, a man (who had an outrageous handlebar moustache) approached me and said, "Cool glasses. I love them!" And he asked me a bunch of questions about them. He assumed I was wearing them for fashion.

On the drive home, I said, "I can't believe someone complimented me on my glasses!" I felt really good about it. My husband said, "It's too bad the compliment came from the guy who looks like he's about to fly around the world in a hot air balloon...."

4. About a month ago, we went out to hear a friend's band. It's late, it's in a bar, and they have a *smoke machine*, so, of course, I'm wearing my glasses again. The lead singer/guitarist came over and asked me questions about my eyes. Then he said, "Those glasses look just uncool enough that people will assume you're wearing them for fashion. They look like the glasses Bono wears. You shouldn't worry about them. Just rock' em like Bono."

I still feel self-conscious wearing them, but I tell myself that this is what I have to do to have a life. The alternative is either feeling bad about myself and feeling that people are staring at me or staying home where no one will see me.

Just put them on, wear them as an expression of your individuality. It only matters that *you* feel comfortable, that your (eye) pain is reduced, that you are more able to be productive and do things that are fun. Getting a break from the pain and having fun are so critical to fighting the despair that seems to go along with DES. And if wearing somewhat dorky glasses are a means to that end, then who cares what other people think??

You have to have a life. Put your glasses on and rock 'em like Bono.

Comment

Hi Eva

The UK seem to be behind with everything don't they?

You may already have done this - but perhaps it is worth having a word with one of the UK ophtalmologists /optometrists that sells dry eye products. If they knew there was a market for these moisture chamber glasses - I am sure they would start stocking them.

My optician said she had noticed an increase in people asking her about products for dry eyes & blepharitis. She has started to stock lid scrubs, `eye nutrition' etc and is always prepared to try and order a specific product.

Comment

Teri you rock!!!

Teri I must say, that was THE most inspiring message I think I've ever read anywhere!!!

I too have moisture chamber glasses (panoptyx) and especially before I was quadriplugged I would need to wear them in the grocery store etc. Now I don't as much but my eyes literally pour tears when I am in a harsh environment now from reflex tears so I carry around tissues everywhere. That still gets me stared at because people think I am crying.

I have delt with feeling self conscience about my panoptyx many a time but you are right, we have to have a life and if those darn goggles help us to acheive that goal than the public be darned!!!!

I am taking your position, I will wear my panoptyx proudly and rock them like Bono!!!!

Thanks so much for the uplift!

Comment

Originally posted by irish eyes View Post
                        Hi Eva

The UK seem to be behind with everything don't they?

You may already have done this - but perhaps it is worth having a word with one of the UK ophtalmologists /optometrists that sells dry eye products. If they knew there was a market for these moisture chamber glasses - I am sure they would start stocking them.

My optician said she had noticed an increase in people asking her about products for dry eyes & blepharitis. She has started to stock lid scrubs, `eye nutrition' etc and is always prepared to try and order a specific product.
                        yes, we are
                        I've asked my local optometrist, who is actually very good and interested in educating himself in the condition. In fact, he has a special interest in meibomian gland disease, and actually expresses mine for me when they get blocked - with great success!

unfortunately, the owner of the shop says it would not be an economical business move at the moment (still not enough interest in moisture chambers) also I believe that if you need a prescription the frames have to go back to the manufacturers to be fitted - obviously not practical to send backto US.

HOWEVER...there is one place in central London which has been mentioned on here before (Michel Guillon) who does sell Wileys...I haven't got around to going there yet, I just put up with my fit over goggles when I need them.
                        The Wileys are very expensive.

It's curious that there is less interest in moisture chambers in the UK - maybe it's partly that there are fewer of us (lower population) also the extremes of climate are less...not so much aircon etc?

Comment

Hiya

I have received my onion goggles ready for my flight to US - in Nov - 9 hrs of looking like a freak! I suppose people will be chuckling behind my back - but they dont know me from Adam, and if they are protecting my eyes and enable me to fly, then its all good !!!!!!!! I will also order some Motorcyclist's sunglasses too, but the design of these doesnt bother me at all and I am hoping to buy some Pantoptx or WileyX whilst in the USA. I am planning on sleeping a lot too on the flight - and will probably mask the onion goggles with a sleeping mask over the top - I was experimenting the other day and I can comfortably sit my eye specticles (presc) over the top of my goggles and watch TV! oh my gosh !!!!!!!!!!!!! what a sight!!

I am noticing a pattern with my eyes - closer to ovulation I get then the eyes feel drier - When aunt flow is here they feel close to normal....must be a hormonal matter with me. Saturday night I noticed a small bump/blister on bottom lid - I scratched it (naughty me) and it burst - presuming this may have been a sty?????

Take care everyone
                          Karenx

Comment

Probably was a meibomian gland--a little blocked. I've had those--they look like a tiny bubble. A stye would be red and swollen, I think.

C

Comment

Teri -- you sound you like you're doing better! I mean mentally at least. And yes, what a GREAT attitude you have about the goggles. Rock on!

Comment

Working...
                              X