The pain of goggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Karen

It sounds like a gland but it could have been a stye. A stye is an infection in the root of an eyelash - resulting in a small red lump on the eyelid. There may be a small spot of discharge where the affected eyelash comes out of the eyelid.

I have little spots on my lid margins - definitely different to styes but can be very painful. I have just watched the video (with the microwaved potato) and I am summoning up the courage to be a bit more ruthless with my eye lids. The problem is being able to see them properly - even with a mega magnifying mirror it isn't easy.

Comment

Eva B & Irish Eyes,

Have you shopped at stores that sell motorcycle gear? That is where I go in the US for goggles or sunglasses with gaskets or moisture chambers.

I have never found such glasses or sunglasses at conventional eyeglasses or sunglasses shops.

I have a very narrow face, and actually buy my prescription eyeglass frames in the children's department to get them to fit. (The ODs look at me funny when I order reading glasses made from children's size frames . . . .) The 7Eye "Churada" style with foam gasket fits my face very well.

Good luck,

Lynne

Comment

Originally posted by gz9gjg View Post
        Eva B & Irish Eyes,

Have you shopped at stores that sell motorcycle gear? That is where I go in the US for goggles or sunglasses with gaskets or moisture chambers.

I have never found such glasses or sunglasses at conventional eyeglasses or sunglasses shops.

I have a very narrow face, and actually buy my prescription eyeglass frames in the children's department to get them to fit. (The ODs look at me funny when I order reading glasses made from children's size frames . . . .) The 7Eye "Churada" style with foam gasket fits my face very well.

Good luck,

Lynne
        I have looked on the internet for such stores, but with no luck so far. Will have another go now you mention it...but what if you want the lenses with a prescription? can your own optician do it?

thanks for the tip anyway

Comment

I watched the video, too---and was unimpressed by the "potato and damp wash cloth" technique. These people have not experienced the convenience and comfort of Rebecca's rice baggies! No potatoes for me.

C

Comment

Do your eyes some favors, protect them!!

Dear Kim,

I remember when I first got dry eye (without knowing I eventually ended up with having Sjogren's), I contemplated many things to end the "problem". Finally I decided that I should do whatever to make myself comfortable by finding good protective wear. I bought my Panoptx with transition prescripton lens (even without trying out becaues I live overseas). I felt better even though it was not as what I had expected. The protection is not perfect but it does make life little bit more livable i.e. i could go to a movie and ride a long haul plane ride and took my son to Europe. I remember once on the local subway, there was a bunch of high school boys pointed out at my weird looking glasses and started to giggle. Frankly, it hurt me so much that when I think about it now it still kind of hurt. But my husband is right because he told me that I HAVE an eye problem which needs to be protected and if that's what makes my life easier, then there's no reason not to use it. But if you are conscious about it like I still am, I went out and bought a second pair with DARK lenses which resembles more to a pair of ordinary sun glasses. I do get questions but mostly just curious ones that people wanted to know where they CAN buy a similar pair to keep out the wind. When my eyes got better I stopped wearing any but I totally agree with Rebecca that wearing protection where the environment is harsh i.e. outdoors/windy/strong AC conditions will make the rest of your days MUCH MUCH tolerable and painfree. So I went back to wearing them now whenevever I go outside. Yes, you will always get people looking at you but hey, just remember sometimes how YOU may look at other people who stood out as "weird", "strange" or just plain different from us. Do you still remember who they are or even what they look like? Do you think these images still linger? No, and that is what people will view you too. They will forget you in seconds. So be confident and love and protect your eyes by helping them heal. People WILL understand.

Be strong, Chris

Comment

Kim,

There have been many good responses to your question on how do you deal with the psychological side of dry eye and all that it brings.....I don't think I can add anything as eloquent as has already been said. I can add another voice saying "stay strong" and realize that life is SO worth living that every time your particular "challenge" gets you down, smile and think of something wonderful in this world (like a rose bud opening, a beautiful snow scene, a bird chirping, a loved one or whatever makes you happy!).

Three years ago I tore my left cornea, the resulting puncture treatments (3) and using various drops given to me by the doctors I saw triggered extremely dry eyes (along with being in menopause and having worn contacts too much when I was younger....so no one really knows for sure what caused it). I have been wearing Panoptx Viento's with a -7 perscription ever since. I still feel self-conscious at times but then I have someone out of the blue say "cool glasses" or "Wow, those are chic" and it makes me smile! Plus, the comfort level I gain when I put them on vs. trying to go without them for a few minutes makes me thankful there is a product that helps.

We really can make ourselves happy --- or sad......it is all in what we keep in our heart and in front of us......keep good thoughts there and life can be good no matter what you are dealing with!

God Bless!!

Comment

Originally posted by eva b View Post
                yes, we are
                I've asked my local optometrist, who is actually very good and interested in educating himself in the condition. In fact, he has a special interest in meibomian gland disease, and actually expresses mine for me when they get blocked - with great success!

unfortunately, the owner of the shop says it would not be an economical business move at the moment (still not enough interest in moisture chambers) also I believe that if you need a prescription the frames have to go back to the manufacturers to be fitted - obviously not practical to send backto US.

HOWEVER...there is one place in central London which has been mentioned on here before (Michel Guillon) who does sell Wileys...I haven't got around to going there yet, I just put up with my fit over goggles when I need them.
                The Wileys are very expensive.

It's curious that there is less interest in moisture chambers in the UK - maybe it's partly that there are fewer of us (lower population) also the extremes of climate are less...not so much aircon etc?
                http://www.wileyx.com/ordering/inter...lers.aspx#intU

Eva_b, there is a dealer of wiley x in UK!
                I search one for hong kong, my living place, but I haven't go for a look because it would be impossible for -10.00D. Give up~
                I had asked many questions with a optician for the high index wraparound glasses. You may see that on other thread.

Pain of googles! Oh, I haven't got a google after few years of dry eye!
                I just hide myself indoor, home and office. Then give up work and stay as a long term unemployed person...

There can be no pain! Wear a clip-on dark sunglasses~~~~~
                No one know I got an ultra small, sore, dark circled and ugly red dry eye under the sunglasses. I had done it for long time outdoor (eg. on bus) and only take off when I go indoor and find a mirror and checked I am okay to take down the sunglasses.

Now I get better, I hope for sooner I can go out as usual with only little use of eye drop.

Comment

I still dont know if i can get wiley in my RX, but i will prob have to go down to -4 so i can wear them.

Why oh why cant they do fashionable style sunglasses/ goggles in a normal rx, then i wouldnt mind wearing them.. -5 is high but not THAT high!!!

Anyhow i need to get some for my trip to the US because i will probably be unable to use my P cream or compresses for dry eye comfort whilst im doing the treatment!

I could get these off ebay, they do it in my RX but they look abit big
                  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dry-eye-syndro...3A1|240%3A1318

According to a lady here http://www.sailgb.com/c/wileyx_outdoor_sunglasses/ optitions can fit any rx but if you order it direct with them they can only do to -4. But ive heard frames can only take certain scripts! soo confusing.
                  I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

I'm new to all this dry eye - sadly.

I bought harley goggles, but my best find came from a dollar store where, believe it or not, they were selling foam goggle like sunglasses in black, red, grey, and brown for $4/pair. I bought the lady out. What a find. They all look rather good (as I have to look presentable for my three children)lol. They equal the harley goggles in protection, and they just happen to be my kid's school colors, red and blue that is - bonus...

I guess you have to look on the bright side of things.

Melissa
                    pianolady

Comment

Melissa, sounds like a wonderful find. I notice you live in Michigan. I do too. What was the name of the store you found the glasses in? Thanks. Lucy
                      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Update

Hi everybody: Figured I would give you an update. I did go ahead and buy goggles, Wileys in fact. I did not buy the transition lenses because I am not going to lie I felt I would be too self conscious. The Wiley's work well for breezes but don't offer me any relief when using a computer. Not sure why. I am planning a trip for my dad 60th in a dry arid enviornment-his choice-and will be sure to bring them along. SO although I am not 100% gaga about goggles I have come around to them somewhat.
                        If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

The dreaded goggles

Hi folks

I have had DES for quite a time now. About 15 years.

I had a comprehensive test with Dr Michel Guillon in London, UK on Saturday May, 24th. He found that my dry eye has become critical, have reduced pigmentation (I will need to supplement with Lutein), plus a few other problems. He reccomends that I have wraparounds with moisture chambers (Wiley X) - boy do they look ugly!

He also has prescribed Systane every 2 hours. Can anybody comment on these tear supplements and their experience of using them?

Ah well, I will have to wear the goggles because my sight is more important than my vanity and my pocket - they will turn out to be very expensive with transitions and varifocal prescription. Also, I will look like mister toad of toad hall! My wife cried when she saw me try them on.

Comment

question about moisture chamber glasses

hi all
                            i was wondering if any one here has tried moisture chamber glasses and, if so, do they help people who have severe dry eye??
                            thanks, betty

Comment

betty:

I haven't used any, but as far as I know, the answers are: yes, and yes.

If you have the time to do a search here on "moisture" or "moisture chambers" or "goggles," I think you'll find a great many testimonials from folks who have been helped by such strategies.

Comment

At my very worst, I was wearing ski goggles around the house because they didn't fog, and I could still help my kids with their homework. They helped immensely to relieve the burning. I still wear them 100% when I'm outside. I am desperately looking for a pair of clear lensed moisture chambers that look half way decent. Any suggestions?

Melissa
                                pianolady

Comment

Working...
                                X