X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D.E.S mainly during night

Hi everyone!

I've had D.E.S for some years, before I also had RCE that appeared during night now and then.
    Then I found out that I had MGD but after I started to clean my eyelids I almost never get RCE again. However my eyes are still dry at night and becoming very red, eye-mask from this shop don't really help, reapplying lubrication makes it little better but destroys my sleep.

What should I try now? Will plugs help during night or just the day? Restasis? Any ointment? Pills?

I have the same problem. My dry eye gets a lot worse at night. My eyes get foggy and I can't even keep them open. They get really red and scratchy more at night.

Comment

I have to use ointment when I go to sleep otherwise my eyelids stick to my eyes when I wake up. If my eyes feel sticky (dry) in the morning I use more ointment the next day. In general my eyes feel best when I first wake up if I use ointment.

I hope this helps.

Comment

just curious, DES @ night, could it be due to your tired eyes?

Comment

Originally posted by Kristie View Post
          Hi everyone!

I've had D.E.S for some years, before I also had RCE that appeared during night now and then.
          Then I found out that I had MGD but after I started to clean my eyelids I almost never get RCE again. However my eyes are still dry at night and becoming very red, eye-mask from this shop don't really help, reapplying lubrication makes it little better but destroys my sleep.

What should I try now? Will plugs help during night or just the day? Restasis? Any ointment? Pills?
          Hi Kristie,

What is your diagnosis at this point? What is your doctor saying about the state of your meibomian glands, cornea and overall dryness?

There are a lot of reasons for worse dryness at night. It is common for anyone with a compromised tear film (whether from blepharitis, aqueous deficient dry eye or whatever) to have worse symptoms at night or even only symptoms at night due to lower tear production and other factors. But to know what to do you need to know what's wrong. With the redness factor you're describing I'd be very cautious about what you put in and over your eyes at night in case there's an allergy component too.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Hello and thanks for the answer, had some Internet problem so next reply from me will probably come faster this time

A few years ago one doctor told me about blepharitis, then I started cleaning and my eyelashes are fine after that. But my eyes were still red so I googled more and found this forum, MGD and more. I tried warm compress and squeezed my eyelid, EACH and EVERY meibomian glands released a thick white paste... Now after a year with cleaning I never get that white paste. It's clear now but no doctor diagnosed me with MGD I just gave myself that diagnose...

It seems that Milk cause more redness and increase the risk of clogging my MG, it's slightly better now when I exclude milk protein from my food. But other than this I have no diagnose, can't find any correlation to anything I do or eat apart from sleeping.

I have excluded bed/dust mites since I can lay in my bed awake all day without getting red eyes but just 1-2 hours can have a huge negative impact. I THINK I sometimes sleep with my eyes open and I THINK this with untreated MGD caused RCE. But even when I tape my eyelids shut I get red eyes from sleeping. So this is probably a minor problem.

I work irregular hours, a few weeks ago I did some overtime, got home late but not tired. Next day I only had a dentist appointment but I skipped sleeping just to avoid waking up with red eyes. (The dentist is kinda cute and I didn't wanna have red eyes... )
            This is how much sleeping usually affect my eyes, now what? :/

Comment

Working...
            X