Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Candid product feedback please... Thermoeyes; lined vs. unlined foam on tranquileyes

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candid product feedback please... Thermoeyes; lined vs. unlined foam on tranquileyes

Hi all,

I would be very grateful if any tranquileyes users would like give some feedback on these. (Don't be shy.)

1) Thermoeyes

Do those of you who bought them actually use them?
    I almost never get orders for spare thermopads, which leads me to believe that either the original pads last forever, or I'm not the only one who's too lazy to boil the thermoeyes though the new microwaveable one will certainly make things a bit easier. But it also makes me wonder if people are finding them useful. While I've been expanding the Shop beyond just things I use daily, my guiding principle is to stock only items I have used and consider good products AND which others are finding beneficial. Since I don't really use thermoeyes regularly myself at this point, I want to keep up with what people reeeeally think about them.

2) Lined vs. unlined foam

I have all the Tranquileyes kits specially prepared for us with "sensitive eyes" foam, and that is what I use personally. However, I've had a few comments suggesting some people are less happy than others with the unlined foam, ranging from difficulty removing it to one person with open lids at night who had the unlined foam stick to her eye . So if you've got any thoughts/gripes/etc, now's the time. I have modified the description in the shop so people know they can select which type of foam they'd like for the replacement set(s) in their kit, but I am also wondering whether I ought to rethink this principle of having all of them made with sensitive eyes foam. - The "standard" approach from the manufacturer is to make the Chronic Dry Eye kits with sensitive eyes foam and al the others with standard foam.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

I'm a big tranquileye fan. I've used them for several years now. So here goes,

I found the boiling a real problem with the thermoeyes. My hands have neuropathy in them and I could not tell when I was burning myself, so I had to give up. Good idea, just bad patient here. A microwavable one would not work for me either as my kitchen is a long way from my bedroom. I haven't tried them yet tho. I can see how if traveling and you have a microwave in your motel room, they would probably work well.

The unlined foam vs the lined foam? : The lined foam wins hands down. I don't like the foam crumbling all over the goggles and sticking to them. I find that the lined foam works really well for me. I love them.

Billye

Comment

Thermoeyes

I bought several of them so I could boil a bunch at once. Works for me. Since there are usually plenty ready I have no excuse. When I got the first set it was a pain boiling and waiting to use them. You really have to get a bunch of them. Unlined foam of course. The lined foam causes problems with my skin. The pads last a long time and I rinse them out after use. But with the extras thermoeyes I bought I have several extra pads I have not used yet. I do use mine at least once a day and 2 if I can get the time. I probably would have bought the micro ones if I didn't get so many of the others. I had only 2 complaints and have solved both of them. One is the foam not staying on, used the eyelash adhesive as recomended by another here and that works great. And the other is that awful strap, added a velcro elastic strap and it perfect now.

Comment

Can I ask a question here Rebecca? I wrote a piece about my experience with tranquileyes seeming to make my eyes worse and you were kind enough to answer. But my problem is that I am in the UK at the moment and I think we have access to less of the products here. I got mine through a company which have been great - the real heat pack company. But I am not aware of being able to get a 'sensitive' set. Could you please explain what it is? Is it lined? Is it a different foam? You were advising that I think about this - but I am not sure what the options are! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by namoomoo
          But I am not aware of being able to get a 'sensitive' set. Could you please explain what it is? Is it lined? Is it a different foam? You were advising that I think about this - but I am not sure what the options are! Thanks
          Hi namoomoo,

I think that the company you got Tranquileyes from sells only the "Chronic Dry Eye TE" kits if I remember right. The manufacturer always packs that kit with the 'sensitive eyes' foam because that apparently is the preferred type for people with eye conditions. It's a plain soft grey foam.

The other type of foam that is available is lined on both sides with a soft sort of black nylon fabric. I've had a lot of foam re-orders lately and I would say that more people seem to be preferring the unlined foam but some have a strong preference for the lined foam. The unlined foam takes a little more care/patience to get off the goggle when it comes time to replace it - you have to pull it up quite slowly to avoid leaving a lot of residue. Eye Eco says that foam applied after the first pair is usually easier to remove, especially if you use a good strong cleaner on the goggle after removing the foam on it.

As regards other foam options: Some people use the ThermoPads instead of the grey foam moisture pads. The ThermoPads are the little white pads intended for use with the blue heat packs (thermoeyes). Since they are slimmer than the others, they are sometimes suitable for people who get too much pressure on their eyes from the thicker ones.

You might want to suggest to the company selling tranquileyes in the UK that they stock more supplies. You can always get these things through our shop too but I'm afraid with the recent rises in our postage costs, shipping to the UK is rather costly.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks Rebecca...sorry for the long delay, but I lost this tread completely. Just getting the hang of this slowly.
            I had problems with the unlined so tried the lined, which seemed better - except that after one wash the lining is coming off. Have replaced the foam and the second set did the same.

Comment

my experience

I have already written to Rebecca about the problem I had with Thermoeyes. They leaked around the edges. I felt like they didn't get warm enough and they aren't worth the bother.
              As far as the foam goes, I have only used the sensitive foam so I can't say how it compares to the lined kind. I have had problems like others have stated where when I wake up in the morning my eyes feel gritty but I am not sure that is from the Tranquileyes. I did start cutting the foam pads in half because the full pad is uncomfortable for me. The gritty feeling has not gone away completely, but is slightly improved. I also wish that the foam on the goggle part stayed a bit more firm as it is in the beginning. As it gets older (not a lot older) it gets too soft and in seems to move around more and not cover as well. Part of that may be the strap. I don't like it too tight because it is uncomfortable and I am concerned about having the foam rub on my eye. They do shift around a bit while I am sleeping. I am glad I found Tranquileyes because it has made sleeping with dry eyes much easier.

Comment

I like the thermoeyes, but cannot deal with the boiling stuff as it's tedious and you can boil them one second too long, or one second not hot enough. I find anything with those little snap things in them to be a royal pain--only because of the boiling required to replace them. Seems Woodart has a solution that works for him.

I have the lined foam and couldn't imagine dealing with the stuff others are talking about. Love my tranquileyes.
                Lucy
                Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris
                  1) Thermoeyes
                  Do those of you who bought them actually use them?.
                  I bought them and I dont use them, after a while it didnt feel any better. Whenever I want heat on my eyes, I just stick to the warm compress.

2) Lined vs. unlined foam

I have all the Tranquileyes kits specially prepared for us with "sensitive eyes" foam, and that is what I use personally. However, I've had a few comments suggesting some people are less happy than others with the unlined foam, ranging from difficulty removing it to one person with open lids at night who had the unlined foam stick to her eye .
                  Definately lined! I tried the unlined stuff and found it hard to peel off the backing, causing it to break up a couple of times. Also wihtout the lining, the foam was is 'rigid' causing it to slip around a bit more during sleep. I've gone back to lined.

Comment

Working...
                  X