Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tranquileyes Kit-Am I doing something wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranquileyes Kit-Am I doing something wrong?

I just got my Tranquileyes Kit a few days ago and have been struggling with it. First I tried it with distilled water. I got up in the middle of the night with my eyes all gummed up and itchy.
    So then I tried it dry, and got up this morning with my eyes all but glued shut. All I put in them both times was TheraTears.
    Maybe this "system" isn't for me, but I am disappointed all the same.
    It sounds like a good idea for hydration, but it is just not working for me.

Is there some trick I don't know about?

Cabut
    Cabut
    65yr.old male, Arizona resident.

Couple of thoughts...

What are you switching from (if anything)?

Tranquileyes can take 2-3 weeks before you start seeing the real benefits so having an 'interim' plan can be important. For example, if someone is switching from chronic ointment use, I strongly recommend either not dropping the ointment completely till after you're 'established' with the goggle or replacing the ointment with something strong like Genteal Gel or Dwelle.

If you've got chronic dry eye or any of the 'night' conditions like lagophthalmos or RCEs, then just goggle plus light drops like Theratears often will not be enough.

When you say 'gummed up and itchy', do you mean you're getting discharge? Any redness? If so I'd be on the alert for possible allergic reaction. In my experience that's quite rare with the foam but it does happen. Also, is Theratears something you normally use? Did you apply the bottled type or PF?

Are you using the lined or unlined type foam?
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Hi, Cabut.

If you do not have a problem with lagophthalmos, as Rebecca mentions, you may want to try taking the inner pads out all together. Personally, I depend on the goggles to help me to keep my eyes shut at night, but if you just want to retain moisture around your eyes, it may do just to have the goggle and to use the moistened inner pads as something extra to treat your eyes when they are feeling puffy or tired or to treat your glands with warmth-- rather than to sleep with them.

That's just a thought.

--Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
        Couple of thoughts...

What are you switching from (if anything)?

Tranquileyes can take 2-3 weeks before you start seeing the real benefits so having an 'interim' plan can be important. For example, if someone is switching from chronic ointment use, I strongly recommend either not dropping the ointment completely till after you're 'established' with the goggle or replacing the ointment with something strong like Genteal Gel or Dwelle.

If you've got chronic dry eye or any of the 'night' conditions like lagophthalmos or RCEs, then just goggle plus light drops like Theratears often will not be enough.

When you say 'gummed up and itchy', do you mean you're getting discharge? Any redness? If so I'd be on the alert for possible allergic reaction. In my experience that's quite rare with the foam but it does happen. Also, is Theratears something you normally use? Did you apply the bottled type or PF?

Are you using the lined or unlined type foam?
        I am using the unlined foam and my eyes were red and itchy, with some discharge in the corners. Usually I use Naturale Tears by Alcon, but I switched to TheraTears PF because people here like them so much.

After the two tries with my eyes actually feeling and looking worse I am hesitant to try them again, frankly.

I have been diagnosed with DES, and haven't had a problem like this at night.The only reason I tried the Tranquileyes was this website. Maybe I'll wait until they calm down and then try the lined. Is that a good idea? What do you suggest ,Rebecca?

Of all the drops I have tried, something that isn't a drop at all has given me the most relief. It is an "eyemist".

I found something called Nature's Tear Eyemist from Biologic Aqua Technologies that has really feels good. They say it is "tissue grade water" ,whatever that is. I have been trying lots of new drops, many of which just don't feel right. I am going back to the Alcon drops for now .
        I haven't gotten the Dwelle drops yet.

Cabut
        Cabut

Comment

Originally posted by liz56 View Post
          Hi, Cabut.

If you do not have a problem with lagophthalmos, as Rebecca mentions, you may want to try taking the inner pads out all together. Personally, I depend on the goggles to help me to keep my eyes shut at night, but if you just want to retain moisture around your eyes, it may do just to have the goggle and to use the moistened inner pads as something extra to treat your eyes when they are feeling puffy or tired or to treat your glands with warmth-- rather than to sleep with them.

That's just a thought.

--Liz
          Thanks liz, I will try them for a treatment during the day.
          A clean washcloth heated in the microwave works really well for me, though.
          I was hoping the Tranquileyes would do miracles at night. Now to be, I guess!

Cabut
          Cabut

Comment

If it were me and if I weren't severely dry at night I think I'd go back to the TN drops, then try the goggle the way Liz suggested (no inserts). In general I like to change only one variable at a time and give myself some weeks on it when possible before adding or changing anything - even if it's just OTC tear products. You can return the goggle (just call) if you need to, by the way. It's mostly beneficial for those with night/morning dry eye but there are plenty of patients who find that making nights even better can improve their days.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
              If it were me and if I weren't severely dry at night I think I'd go back to the TN drops, then try the goggle the way Liz suggested (no inserts). In general I like to change only one variable at a time and give myself some weeks on it when possible before adding or changing anything - even if it's just OTC tear products. You can return the goggle (just call) if you need to, by the way. It's mostly beneficial for those with night/morning dry eye but there are plenty of patients who find that making nights even better can improve their days.
              Thank you Rebecca, I will try that. By "TN" do you mean TheraTears?
              I just got the Dwelle drops delivered a few minutes ago, would those be a better choice at night?

Cabut
              Cabut

Comment

Recent Dry Eye Products

Here are some of my recent purchases for this Dry Eye problem.
                It is starting to add up!

Cabut
                Cabut

Comment

That looks like the contents of the drawer where I kept all of my "eye stuff" when this thing started for me, so you are not alone. I thought that it was worth it, because I found things that really helped me.

Dwelle is a great choice for night!

(I think that Rebecca meant Tears Naturale (TN).)

Good luck!

--Liz

Comment

Originally posted by liz56 View Post
                    That looks like the contents of the drawer where I kept all of my "eye stuff" when this thing started for me, so you are not alone. I thought that it was worth it, because I found things that really helped me.

Dwelle is a great choice for night!

(I think that Rebecca meant Tears Naturale (TN).)

Good luck!

--Liz
                    Well Liz, I have them all, and then some. I didn't include the cool mist vaporizer and other eye stuff on the way. Looks like I might need 2 drawers!

So far I really like the Nature's Tears eye mist. it is very soothing.
                    I'll try the Dwelle tonight.

Thanks,
                    Cabut
                    Cabut

Comment

Totally off-topic, Cabut, but I love the tiles in your kitchen. Gorgeous!

Be prepared to give Dwelle a long try. I've been using the UK equivalent of Freshkote (like Dwelle, but with a lipid componenet) for several months now, and it's really helping, but at first I didn't like it.

I prefer the Tranquileyes damp, and I add Genteal gel to the regime at night. The combination seems to keep my eyes moister for longer

Good luck

Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by lisiamc View Post
                        I was going to say the exact same thing!!!
                        Rebecca Petris
                        The Dry Eye Foundation
                        dryeyefoundation.org
                        800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Cabut,

Everybody else is chiming in...

What works for me at night is Genteal Gel plus Tranquileyes (no pads). I put in lots of gel, but usually wake up in about 3 hours because of dryness. At that point I put a drop of Tears Naturale Free in each eye, back on with the goggles, and try to make it till the morning. Usually I have to put more Tears Naturale in.

I find that I can't use TheraTears at all--got a lot of irritation from it. Is that a new product for you?

There is a lot of residue from gel and drops overnight, no doubt about that. I guess I'm used to it.

One more thing--you mentioned there's lots of pollen right now---I have way more trouble in general during pollen season. But you might try rinsing your eyes with plain unpreserved saline several times a day--and before bedtime. This can help reduce the quantity of particles and irritants.

C

Comment

Originally posted by lisiamc View Post

Be prepared to give Dwelle a long try. I've been using the UK equivalent of Freshkote (like Dwelle, but with a lipid componenet) for several months now, and it's really helping, but at first I didn't like it.

I prefer the Tranquileyes damp, and I add Genteal gel to the regime at night. The combination seems to keep my eyes moister for longer

Good luck

Lisa
                            Thanks Lisa and Rebecca!
                            I live in the Sonoran Desert close to Old Mexico and we had a local fellow do all the tile work. He even did the sink. My wife is a Brummie and loves the bright tile work. You don't see too much Mexican tile in Birmingham!
                            Here is the rest of the kitchen.

Does the Dwelle leave a residue?

Cabut
                            Cabut

Comment

Does the Dwelle leave a residue?
                              Yes, Dwelle does leave a residue. Knowing what to expect will help so it won't be another "surprise."

BTW, I love your kitchen and kitchen tile! Very exotic. I didn't have the gutts to say it like Lisa did first. Lucy
                              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                              X