This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best sleep mask to keep eyes closed

I've finally accepted that I sleep with my eyes partially open and need something to keep them closed throughout the night. My current sleep mask is old and stretched out so it comes off once I'm asleep and move. I got the "basic sleep mask" available in the Dry Eye Shop and was really quite disappointed with the incredibly poor quality of it (what should I expect for $2 though).

I'm not sure if I want to take the leap of purchasing Tranquileyes for $50-$65 since I'm a side sleeper and have read they're not particularly good for that. Plus, there's the cost of replacing the foam on a regular basis.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a sleep mask in the Dry Eye Shop that does a good job at staying put and keeping eyes closed? Or should I really just go for it and try Tranquileyes?

Hi Portrgirl,

I sleep on my side and I find no problems with Tranquileyes doing that. They are soft and not rigid, so it's ok for me to sleep in any position. I use the sensitive unlined foam pads, and they don't seem to stick very well, so I end up replacing them monthly, which can get costly.

My boyfriend use to wake up complaining of irritated eyes, and I got him the Escape Sleep Mask from the Dry Eye shop for $24 dollars. I knew there was no way he would wash the foam pads daily for tranquileyes. He's had the mask for about a year now, and it still looks as good as new, and best of all, he says he wakes up with his eyes moist and perfectly comfortable now. Oh, and he also sleeps on his side. I wish all our eye problems were fixed that easily

Edit: Oops, I forgot to tell you that the Escape Sleep Mask doesnt keep your eyes closed. In fact, it doesn't touch your eyes, but it keeps the environment around your eyes moist and humid. I don't know if that is adequate enough for you. Tranquileyes, on the other hand, will keep your eyes closed.

Comment

Hi, Portrgirl.

I have the same experiences with the sleep masks that odydnas notes. I could not wear a mask that touched my eyes for some time. My lids would stick with the slightest pressure, so I went with the escape for five and a half months. Once my corneas healed up, I used Tranquileyes moist, but upon Lucy's advice, I started to use them dry, which makes keeping them clean a lot easier.

I think that my using Tranquileyes is a huge reason for why I have not had erosions for several months. My eyes must not close the whole way, and that is what contributes to their to sticking.

If what you are concerned about is the question of whether your eyes open during sleep and cost, then you might want to try some inexpensive tape to see if keeping them closed helps. If it does, it might make investing in a pair of Tranquileyes seem more worth it.

Comment

I got the "basic sleep mask" available in the Dry Eye Shop and was really quite disappointed with the incredibly poor quality of it (what should I expect for $2 though).
        Too bad you were disappointed with the basic sleep mask, Portgirl, but we are glad Rebecca keeps an array of things just for dry eyed people. Before DEZ, there wasn't a good place to find things we needed. This has been a concerted effort--bringing you Dry Eye Shop. I know Rebecca has put much thought into what she carries and what is not advisable. She listened to us talk about things we liked or didn't like. This "cheapie" mask would give someone an idea if this might help them, or not. You would be surprised how many people do not have an idea of what a "sleep mask" is.

If you think the Escape Sleep Mask might work for you, it's worth buying. I also think the Tranquileyes is worth it's weight in gold. I sleep on all sides, with a pillow over my head, etc and do not have any trouble keeping my T.E. on during the night.

I have had one T.E. for quite a long time. I treat it gently, do not get it wet for sleeping and it's long-lasting. You can get a liner from the Dry Eye Shop to wear with the T.E., which will help it last. Unfortunately, there is no way you can tell ahead of time if it will work the way you want it to. Just like eyedrops, you have to buy them, try them and no returns if you don't care for them. It's part of the cost of dry eye. Lucy
        Last edited by Lucy; 11-Nov-2008, 21:37. Reason: typo
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Sorry about the basic sleep mask. It's funny though, what's useless for one person is great for another. We are all so different. When I first started the shop I limited it to things I myself liked, but over time with the help of veterans here (like Lucy ) I wised up and started listening to what other people find useful so I branched out to get lots of alternative products performing roughly the same functions.

Sleep masks are one of those things that's turned out to be VERY individual. I initially added the "Basic" $1.90 mask just so there would be something dirt cheap (on the theory that any coverage is better than no coverage). It's turned out to be quite popular though. I get a lot of people buying several at a time, sometimes for use when traveling so that they have some coverage but without worrying they'll lose an expensive item. Others get the basic sleep mask so that they can try to figure out whether they can tolerate a sleep mask at all before investing in a better one. Amusingly... since this is pretty much the cheapest on the market (though I have to say I personally think it's considerablly better quality than any of the other bottom-of-the-barrel ones I've tested) in October I get lots of moms ordering them to decorate for girls parties.

If price is a deterrent on Tranquileyes, a couple of suggestions... The Mini is just $29 now and if you're careful you can make the foam last a long time. Also the Economy Buster with 6 pairs of spares is $35. Eye Eco backs us up on the guarantee so you can return most of the kits if it doesn't work out (can't do that with sleep masks unfortunately).
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

good call. sleeping it a big problem for most folks here, and maybe there should be one thread dedicated for that

I also have Lagophthalmos (poor eyelid closure), and I found that eye cover improve my condition but the problem with the basic sleeping mask is that it only cover the eyes and doesn't put pressure on them the way TranquilEye does in order to really keep them close. With that said the basic sleeping mask still offer some benefit, and it's better than nothing.

For a basic sleeping masc, I personally use Anti-Bacterial sleeping mask which doesn't require any washing !!!

However, instead of "sticking" my lids with plaster or similar, I found that using TranquilEye is the best solution for my Lagophthalmos up until now. But this is not problems free. First, after a few hours (maybe 3 or so) I find that the foam is not moist enough and instead of keeping my eyes moist it start drying my eyes, so I try to soak it in water also during the night. Second, washing/replacing the foam make it a costly solution- for that, sometime I combine the Anti-Bacterial sleeping mask with TranquilEye- I simply wear the former to cover my eyes and then wear the later on top. Additionally, just like yourslef, I find TranquilEye way overpriced relatively to its poor quality. Thus, you could try making your own TranquilEye, say by taking swimming goggle and adding to it foam. I'm sure that creative minds would come up with a much more practical-convenient cheaply solution than that

Personally, I found that having more pressure by tightening the straps, is more relaxing for eyes-did anyone have a similar experience ?

Comment

The very first sleep mask I tried was the Silhouette ($10). I found that by hitching it up slightly the nose bridge itself helped hold my lids shut. I still use that pretty regularly. To add a little moisture-retention you could line a mask like this with plastic wrap.

With lagophthalmos & night dry eye, there's dual needs - hold lids closed, and seal in moisture/keep out dry air. For a lot of people only the latter is sufficient. For really holding down the lids snugly and securely I'm not sure any sleep mask is quite adequate but the ones with the thickest padding are the best contenders.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for all the great responses! I tried the basic sleep mask again last night, but significantly tightened the straps by tying knots. It was much more snug, STAYED ON (amazing!), and kept my eyes closed. I still don't like the design with the nose flap and the material that it's made out of. But you're all right, it is a good option for those needing something cheap to try.

My eyes feel better today than they have in a while and are significantly less inflamed, which I attribute to keeping my eyes closed for most of the night. I did wake up and take it off, but don't know at what time. I was concerned that my eyelashes were being bent oddly, which happens for me with most sleep masks. It's apparent that keeping my eyes closed is a big part of what's causing my dry eyes though, so I need an item that will do that rather than just a barrier to keep moisture in.

Does anyone else have problems with sleep masks or Tranquileyes bending eyelashes to the left or right and having them stay that way for the day (like the way an eyelash curler curls lashes up)? I wonder if Tranquileyes would do that less than a sleep mask since it fits over just the eyes better and perhaps doesn't move as much? Tape wouldn't do that, but something about that doesn't appeal to me.

Comment

hi there. If we take the price and quality out of the equation, at least in my view ranquilEyes is the best product I've tried so far for night, eye clsure, and for realxing the eyes during the day. There is no doubt that this simple concept could be easily improved into a fine product with even more benefits.

I warmly recommend you either make your own tranquileye or purchase it despite all its defects. In the end of the day, this improve the quality of life significantly and make a big difference on the eyes, and that is what important in the end of the day. I believe this would solve your problem as I could understand it.

I found that keeping my eyelids and eyelashes wet during the night is quite helpful with my Blepharitis as well, which make it much more easier and more comfortable to open the eyes in morning, not to mention sleeping is much better even if it's dry outside.

I understand that money could be an issue, but it shouldn't be- before TranquilEye I used to soak my Cupron (Anti-Bacterial) sleeping mask with water, and sometimes I used to have a wet towel on top of that or a sponge soaked with water. This is the same concept as TranquilEye but less elegant.
                  You could use wrap/strap to keep it tight. Whichever way you choose to play it, this would provide much benefit and relief. SO JUST DO IT

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement, HOSADOS. I can afford the $30 Tranquileyes Mini, and truthfully the others too, I just want to avoid purchasing something that either doesn't work or I don't use. It sounds like it helps way more people than it doesn't and with me knowing now how much of an improvement I get from just ONE night with my eyes staying closed, it would be worth it. The $27 extra I'd pay each year for the replacement foam is a very low price too, especially if it means no doctor visits or prescriptions.

I'm still not 100% sold though. Does anyone have any comments on whether it bends eyelashes?

Also, Lucy, since you wear the Tranquileyes dry, I'm curious to hear what you consider the benefits of it over a regular sleep mask are?

Comment

Originally posted by portrgirl View Post
                      Thanks for the encouragement, HOSADOS. I can afford the $30 Tranquileyes Mini, and truthfully the others too, I just want to avoid purchasing something that either doesn't work or I don't use. It sounds like it helps way more people than it doesn't and with me knowing now how much of an improvement I get from just ONE night with my eyes staying closed, it would be worth it. The $27 extra I'd pay each year for the replacement foam is a very low price too, especially if it means no doctor visits or prescriptions.

I'm still not 100% sold though. Does anyone have any comments on whether it bends eyelashes?

Also, Lucy, since you wear the Tranquileyes dry, I'm curious to hear what you consider the benefits of it over a regular sleep mask are?
                      As Lucy wrote sometime you just have to try it yourself, or just do it in my words Like you I was very short on cash, and it took me a while until I was 'convinced' to try Dr. Holly's drops and to purchase TranquilEye despite it high price, but to honest with you, I'm glad I made those choice. While I don't want to roll in what would it could had been, had I gave a fair trail to those woderful products earlier, I'm glad I did. I don't know how bad in your condition and how bothering it's, but I came to realize that in health situation it's worth taking a chance, provided this is not a huge sum and a huge risk.

I also think that if Rebecca recommended it and sell it, it's worth checking it. In the end of the day, one of the things I like in this community is the that people only goal is to help, and have not other agenda than that, we're all in the same boat. I personally think that so far Rebecca have done a super job maintaining objectivity, although holding two hats -the shop/Dry Eye talk.

Personally, when I was first introduced to this community and website, I wasn't sure there much more I can do to improve my condition, but I'm glad to report my doubt went away.

With that, I think that TranquilEye would benefit EVERYONE dry eye or not (regular people), and for DES patients regardless of the symptoms this is a GREAT relief and healing alternative.

The benefit I see are as following:moist!!! while sleeping-priceless, keeping my eyes closed (for poor lid closure)- in that aspect it's much more comfortable than sticking band which tear your skin when taken out, delivering complete darkness -which make it easier to fall asleep -personally my quality of sleep improved with this product-so I believe, and finally relaxing the eyes from strain and stress.

I suggest you review some"Patient Studies" and take a look on the pictures of this product to better understand what it's. Sometime one picture worth more than a thousand words. Also Rebecca has a good review on this product+Q&A.

are you sold by now ?

peace out-after using the computer for this post, I'm going to take a rest and relax my eyes with my TranquilEyes

Comment

For me, wearing Tranquileyes dry only further dry my eyes make it worst! So even when I wet it I try to be careful to wake up 1.5-3 hours after in order to wet it again, and of course instill artificial tears, during the night.

Comment

I'm not Lucy but my answer to this is (a) better seal and (b) holding lids closed.

Also, I know what you're talking about with bent eyelashes. I had this happen for awhile but it was some time ago and I honestly can't even remember what I was wearing when it happened.
                          Rebecca Petris
                          The Dry Eye Foundation
                          dryeyefoundation.org
                          800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks to Lasik and/or Sjogrens, I have few lashes to speak of, and even less to worry about bending them. Sorry. Lucy
                            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thanks all. I wonder if my bent lashes with the sleep mask have more to do with it moving around rather than having anything pressing on my eyes. I still haven't ordered Tranquileyes, but I just might do it in the next week or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X