This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been offered this...

I had Lasik June 2010 and developed a severe case or dry eye after the surgery.

I use drops at least every hour and have tried the temporary punctal plugs and Restasis (but ony Restasis for a month). I'm going nuts in the dry heat and cold here in the Toronto winter.

I went back for my 6 month check up earlier this week and the surgeon says I can be a test person for LIPIFLOW assuming I'm a candidate (I would have to have a test to determine this before of course). He said that in the future it will be very expensive so I should take advantage, but I really don't fancy being a test person for anything in case it makes mattes worse.

As well as the Surgeon I used I do know an opthamologist personally and they both say that they haven't heard of any bad side effects, that is what they said about the LASIK though!

Comment

Hi:
      Have never been in a forum before so don't know if this will reach anyone. I had refractive lensectomy done in the summer and have just had the Lipiflow treatment done last week. I know this has not been done before in Can. or U.S. but was wondering if anyone in Europe has had this treatment.
      Thanks

Comment

• clair
        clair commented
        Editing a comment
        Lipiflow treatment

Hi Rebecca:

I probably should not be saying the name of the scan is LipiView Interferometer, I am just reading from the top of the printout they gave me after the screening. It has an image of both eyes and at the bottom data and a graph showing 0-240 with levels.

I am very reluctant to post anything as I thought I was the only one who has had a life changing experience from "dry eye" and then stumbled on to this site and have been amazed at the knowledge, stories and tips.

Thank You

• clair
        clair commented
        Editing a comment
        Sppon - Re: your reply to my Lipiflow Treatment

Hi Spoon:

Your explanation of the redundancy in the MG's and also the links and photo albums have been very helpful to me.(Just learning to use a computer and thrilled with all the information I can access. I am an avid reader so an iPad might be in my future.

I do not have an appointment until next week so will not have a way of measuring my progress as far as the Lipiview Interometer goes until then.

Have been doing a little reading and wondering if there is data out there that compares the IPL procedure with the Lipiflow procedure. Will do more research.

Was amazed this morning at the improvement in my left eye. It has been 2 wks and a day since my Lipiflow treatment. I ordered Systane Balance but have not received it as yet, at present not using any drops, gels etc.

Thank you for all the info. Lots information on this site.

Clair

• Aaron77
        Aaron77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Lipiflow in Canada?

Hi, can you please pass on to us where we can go to get the Lipiflow treatment here in Canada, I'm quite interested in the treatment and may give it a try if the opportunity is close by. Thanks

I was just reading on here about Lipiflow. I do daily warm compresses and massage and was curious to those of you who have had Lipiflow treatment.. Do you still have to do the daily heat and massage between treatments to keep the glands open? How many treatments have you had to do? and does insurance pay for it?
      thanks
      Jenny

Comment

• Mawsky
        Mawsky commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by jenny2008 View Post
        I was just reading on here about Lipiflow. I do daily warm compresses and massage and was curious to those of you who have had Lipiflow treatment.. Do you still have to do the daily heat and massage between treatments to keep the glands open? How many treatments have you had to do? and does insurance pay for it?
        thanks
        Hi Jenny, what is lipiflow? Is it treatment to the lids?

• PotatoCakes
        PotatoCakes commented
        Editing a comment
        I looked online but the Lipiflow website doesn't really describe what it is; how what exactly is the procedure / process?

Originally posted by LilyFair View Post
      I had Lasik June 2010 and developed a severe case or dry eye after the surgery.

I use drops at least every hour and have tried the temporary punctal plugs and Restasis (but ony Restasis for a month). I'm going nuts in the dry heat and cold here in the Toronto winter.

I went back for my 6 month check up earlier this week and the surgeon says I can be a test person for LIPIFLOW assuming I'm a candidate (I would have to have a test to determine this before of course). He said that in the future it will be very expensive so I should take advantage, but I really don't fancy being a test person for anything in case it makes mattes worse.

As well as the Surgeon I used I do know an opthamologist personally and they both say that they haven't heard of any bad side effects, that is what they said about the LASIK though!
      I have an appointment for the 'lipiview' on Friday Feb 25th, gulp, apparently this is an appointment to determine my eligibility and if I'm eligible they can do it early next week. This sounds really really new, has anybody here
      tried this yet?

Comment

keep us informed

Originally posted by LilyFair View Post
        I have an appointment for the 'lipiview' on Friday Feb 25th, gulp, apparently this is an appointment to determine my eligibility and if I'm eligible they can do it early next week. This sounds really really new, has anybody here
        tried this yet?
        Wow at least on of us is going to know first hand about this, please keep us all up on what is happening. I wish you the best, hope this helps you

Comment

Originally posted by Mawsky View Post
          Wow at least on of us is going to know first hand about this, please keep us all up on what is happening. I wish you the best, hope this helps you
          There is another thread here I was reading when I did a search for lipiflow. I forget the actual username but it was Philip from Germany or something like that, he had it done with little result and some problems it was discouraging to read.

I will go for the assessment, see if I am a candidate and take it from there.

Comment

Assessment

I went today to be assessed for Lipflow with the lipiview machine and a manual lipid exam.

The Dr said I don't blink properly and gave me some blinking exercises to do.

He also said I use far too many drops and a recommended preservative free drops and told me to use Systane Ultra only 4 times a day. This is information I have got from this web site here too, but seeing the Dr inspired me to try harder with this whole drop issue. On top of the chemical danger I think I've spent more on drops this past 8 months than I did on the damn Lasik!

Anyway, he said I am a candidate for the complimentary lipiflow treatment, but when I saw the warnings and conditions on the consent form I decided that I could not afford to take the risk that it may make it worse. Also I would have to consent to speak at possible future press conferences etc. and journalling my experience and results, but they tell me it's not a clinical trial, it doesn't feel right at all. My trust of this place has gone downhill as different Dr's there have given me conflicting advice. I realise the consent forms for Lasik are much scarier than this and I signed them but I never knew the possible dry eye effect would affect my life as it has.

So I'm not going to do it. If anybody has any questions please ask, I don't know enough about this problem to anticipate what others may want to know.

Comment

LllyFair

Thank you so much for this account - these are thing I have been trying to find out from the clinic in London.

Responses always come back from the marketing department and although always polite, my questions are not really addressed. I suspect that the answers are not there to give so I will wait a bit longer until more concrete feedback is available.

I'm going to keep in contact with them though - even be a bit of a `pest' with my approaches for updates etc but no matter. We need to know.

Comment

Has anyone had Lipiflow in Toronto? I'm headed there in about a week to get the treatment.

www.herzig-eye.com - It is the Herzig Eye Institute in Toronto. They are going to start seeing US patients on Saturdays since this is more convenient with travelling, etc. I'd be happy to provide phone numbers and names of office staff that helped me set up the appointment.

Just so you know, from the average city in the US, it will cost $600-$700 for a plane ticket, $100 for a hotel and $700 for the treatment. So for me, it is a total of $1500 for one treatment. Needless to say, I am really hoping this will be an effective treatment.

They require payment at the time services are rendered. They will not bill your insurance company.

They want you to come for the treatment, then for 1 month and 3 months follow-up. They do not treat you with Lipiflow during the 1 month or 3 month follow-up. They just monitor your progress.

Does anyone have anything to say about what to do when I get there or what to expect? Does anyone know if there are additional medications to take after the procedure? Any info would be appreciated.

Of course, I plan to report on my experience afterwards.

Actually, since this is so expensive, I am wondering if anyone has any news about the FDA approval process for LipiFlow? If the treatment were available in the US, I could probably go for monthly treatments (if they will let me have them monthly).

Thanks,

NeedMyEyes

Comment

• Storm
                  Storm commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Herzig - Lipiflow - For NeedMyEyes

I just found out about Herzig and Lipiflow and have called them for an appointment. (I live near Toronto).

I was interested to know how you counted the number of functioning glands. I can't see anything when I look at my eye margins. I thought you have to magnify 100 times to see the openings.

I've had puntal plugs for 6 months and still have to use drops every hour. The plugs seems to reduce the pain to bareable levels over the summer; but now have trouble in the fall with burning and stinging in my right eye. I want to keep working; but it will be hard to continue unless I have more relief.

• spmcc
                  spmcc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Storm - do you know if your problem is meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD) or aqueous deficiency (AD)?

I just wonder because LipiFlow is used for MGD. The plugs you mention are generally for AD.

• NeedMyEyes
                  NeedMyEyes commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I use a makeup mirror from Walmart and count them there. It takes a lot of practice. You have to reflect the room light off the glands just right. Good Luck.

By the way, I found out that I was using artificial tears I was allergic to. I was using them every 15 minutes.

does any one knows if this is available in us? where to get this? I heared is getting approved by FDA soon! I am really thankfull if u have any info!

Comment

• clair
                  clair commented
                  Editing a comment
                  lipiflow treatment in Canada

Hi:

I had lipiflow treatment at the Herzig Institute and I suppose you would have to say it was a success. I no longer have some of the symptons I had before. I know it is not available in the U.S. yet but if you can travel it is worth the trip.

I had the least improvement of the 6 patients that underwent this treatment. Started with one oil gland functioning in left eye and 1/2 in right. Now I have 4 in left and 3 in right. Doesn't sound great to me but they seemed pleased with the results and I must say that my eyes are still painful but much more comfortable.

A lot of my problems stems from the multi-focal lenses he put in, but can not change these since it will cause more dry eye problems. Will be checking back in six months to see if I can stand to still see this way (daytime orbs for headlights and glare from sun shining on cars etc,: nightime driving is out) and Dr. Herzig said he would be happy to change the lenses. Only problem is it will cause more dryness.

It is certainly not an uncomfortable procedure and since there are people who are experiencing good results, I think its worth a try.

Good Luck,

Clair

• bp77
                  bp77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  thanks everyone. is there any side effect with this? what ever i do with my eyes they become worse.

• NeedMyEyes
                  NeedMyEyes commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No side effects that I can tell. That's the thing about lipiflow is that is scientifically proven to work and has a very minimal side effect profile.

I personally have had IPL and probing. The IPL has a definite possibility for side effects including skin problems and further eye damage. But, if you really protect the eyes it seems like it could be minimal.

The probing on the other hand - I just had it 2 days ago and I have to say it was a bit painful and there is inflammation especially in my lower eyelids. The uppers seem okay, but the lowers definitely had a number done on them. I have absolutely no idea if there was any scarring from the probing, but it was rather traumatic from my estimation. I have a few specks of blood here and there especially on my lower lids where my glands were the worst when he started probing. I guess I will never know what the risks of probing are - but I have to say it seems like I could have lost a few glands frome the procedure - maybe the ducts will close from scarring or maybe the probe went through the gland and it will scar there. I don't know.

But LipiFlow on the other hand - maybe it causes just a tad of eyelid trauma and discomfort for some people who have tender lids. But other than that I can't think of anything. Your cornea is shielded from the heat. I don't think Lipiflow is a cure for regular MGD ( and I DO think there is a cure to regular old MGD), but I think it might be part of the cure.
              Working...
              X