This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold or Warm compresses? Please help

Today I had an appointment with a new opthalmologist who suggested that I get punctal plugs in the near future if my eye condition does not improve.

He also recommended daily cold compresses to encourage my meibomian (oil) glands to produce/ let out more oil.

He said hot/warm compression is bad and does the opposite. But I was sure that hot compresses are normally recommended..?

I would really appreciate if dry eye sufferers with meibomian gland issues could give me advice on what they find works best for them x
    Last edited by M@ri@; 13-Feb-2012, 10:49.

cold and warm compresses

Hi, I don't know the answer, I guess, but my eye doctor told me the exact opposite. Use warm/hot on your eyes. It feels sooo good, and seems to help me for a short time. I have THyroid eye disease, and part of that is the consistency of the tears changes, and the tears do not lubricate and cling to the eye the way they are supposed to do. I hope you hear from others, and perhaps the facilitator will chime in on this subject. In the meantime, I would probably try both methods (though I hate the thought of cold packs on my eyes, cause I am always cold anyway...) and see if either method makes any difference. They may not. In my case, it simply feels good at the moment, so i do it sometimes.
    Shirley

Comment

Hi Maria,

The warmth from the warm compresses is supposed to soften the oil that may be plugged in your meibomian glands. However, if your glands are not plugged, just producing poor quality meibum due to inflammation, then a cool compress might be better for you.

Usually with meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD), punctal plugs are not recommended because they tend to keep 'inflamed' tears from draining away. However, there are certainly people on this site with MGD, who are also wearing plugs.

I would call the ophthalmologist's office and ask for clarification as to what he recommends you do.

Comment

Thank you both for your helpful replies. I have decided it's better to avoid compresses altogether until I have more insight about my condition.

Comment

Working...
        X