Warm Compresses Make Eyes Sore and Blur Vision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warm Compresses Make Eyes Sore and Blur Vision

I do the hot compresses occasionally for a little bit of relief but find that they seem to make my eyes feel worse a lot of the time - extra burning, blurry vision. I think that when I do get the relief its maybe half an hr or so after and it only lasts for a short while. What type of relief should one normally be getting from the warm compresses?

Aaron, this can vary a lot from person to person. You might try rotating the warm compresses with cold ones. Cold takes down inflammation. You have to do the warm to keep the glands clear, but cold or an icepack (yes!) will cool your eyes down. You can buy a little gel icepack at the drug store and if you lay down with that on for 15 minutes or so, you will probably feel better.
    Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

My understanding is that blurriness following warm compresses is a good thing because it is the result of oil having been expressed from the glands (which is the goal in doing these compresses).

However, the blurriness I get doesn't last long -- usually a few seconds, never longer than a couple of minutes.

The noticeable relief I get from the compresses is short-lived as well, but I've just spent a week not being able to do proper compresses and my eyes feel MUCH worse. So I now know the compresses do have a longer-term effect, even if I can't really tell (because my eyes are uncomfortable even when I'm doing the compresses religiously -- just not as uncomfortable as when I don't).

I used to have some burning from the compresses, but I actually think that was related to blepharitis or something. Once I started using Azasite (which supposedly treats blepharitis), the burning when I did compresses stopped.

I'm just throwing my experience out there in case it gives you any additional thoughts on your own -- but I definitely am no expert on any of this!

Comment

I've had dry eyes for 15 yrs, since I was 20. Lots of inflammation, burning sensation. I started doing hot compresses on daily basis this spring (never heard of them before). And it changed my life! Right after compress my eyes are blurry and they get even blurrier when I do lid massage, but it clears after a few minutes. But the result lasts during the day. My eyes are oily, comfortable and much whiter. And my lids are different too - the margins of my lids are white now not red and the lids are thinner and softer now - they used to be sort of thick and dense.

Comment

Your description of the eyelids - thick and dense! You have described mine!

I'm pleased that the warm compresses have helped you; they didn't do anything for me.

Comment

I just dont get the whole warm compress lid hygiene process AT ALL.

It is what all opticians and Drs seem to prescribe..and i have absolutely no idea why they do.

No one ever seems to get any benefit.

It makes logical sense... to use heat and massage to unblock glands..but has anyone ever unblocked their glands..and if they have..do they function normally so that they dont have dry eyes anymore?

I think not.

Oh ..just read avee.. and it would seem it worked for him i see.

Care to elaborate on your process? I hope its not just the springtime which is improving your symptoms? My eyes always feel better in spring and summer.

Comment

Hi again Rory

Living in London, I take it that you have seen doctors at Moorfields etc?

I used to be able to get stuff out of my glands (sometimes toothpaste consistency, sometimes opaque and runny....) My eyes didn't feel any less painful but it gave me a curious kind of satisfaction, knowing they were free of that nasty stuff! These days, I don't seem to be able to get anything out at all but my lids are more painful than ever.

I tried going into the sauna at the gym but the vapours made my eyes sting so badly that I had to beat a hasty retreat. I had this idea that it would be good for opening the glands but alas not. I would sit in it everyday if I thought it would help.

Comment

Rory, as I wrote in my reply above, warm compresses DO help me. Not having been able to do them for the past week has made my symptoms significantly worse.

Comment

Is the water too hot? Are you pressing too hard? These were issues for me. I see no benefit from them but still do it. I find the most benefit from the theratears foam scrub. That keeps at least my lashes clean

Comment

Regarding the cold compresses, should it be ok to do them directly after a warm compress?

Lid Cleaning with wipes and baby shampoo after the warm compress seem to make my eyes feel and look great but only for a couple minutes or so then they seem to get dry a little quicker. Any comments on this one? What is the actual purpose of the lid cleaning anyways?

Comment

I have never understood the warm compress, lid massage, lid hygiene obsession.

Surely if it worked.. people would not have dry eyes anymore?

I mean if the fundamental problem..is blocked glands..then unblocking them must CURE you?

Even if it is a process which needs to be continued everyday and always..surely once they are open..the symptoms would go?

Can the 1000s of people who have achieved this... sign this thread?

I just do not believe it works.

I believe it is more ..something that Drs and opticians tell people with dry eyes to do..because they havent got a clue what else to tell them.

Comment

Rory - sorry you haven't been helped. Each of us has different issues, and what works for one person, may not work for another.

Aaron - Try it, it can't hurt and may help. You might also try NSAIDs like Aleve or Ibuprofen to control the inflammation. I take one Aleve in the morning for osteoarthritis, and when my eyes get irritated, I'll take another at night - it helps calm my eyes down.

I don't do lid scrubs, because I find tap water and soaps cause me more irritation than it's worth. I first try "finger rolls" on my lower lids to unblock my glands. If that doesn't work, I add NSAIDs and use icepacks on my lids. If all that doesn't work, I assume I have an eye infection and go see my eye doctor.

Good luck,

Lynne

Comment

Lynne,

I have been afraid to take even a motrin for a headache for fear that it will make the dry eye worse. Are you saying that you feel it has helped or at least not harmed your dry eye. My dry eye is caused by inflammation from occular rosacea - perhaps a motrin would help...

Any thoughts,
                          Melissa
                          pianolady

Comment

Originally posted by Rory View Post
                            I have never understood the warm compress, lid massage, lid hygiene obsession.

I believe it is more ..something that Drs and opticians tell people with dry eyes to do..because they havent got a clue what else to tell them.

Hi Rory

It must come down to individual differences because I did the whole warm compress thing religiously for years - and it didn't seem to do any good at all. One would expect warming the eyelids to be good for softening the oils but it didn't help in my case. Even the consultant I'm seeing at the moment doesn't seem to be convinced that it's the right approach - for me anyway.

I take your point that it seems to be something that doctors say to patients because they don't know what else to tell them. When I see public information fact sheets, it advises sufferers to use warm compresses and to clean lids with dilute baby shampoo. They have been saying exactly the same for years.

Comment

Aaron77,

I know what you mean on this one. I often wonder about them myself as my eyes sometimes feel drier afterwards, however some of the long term DE people here do them so I will to.

I have ocular rosacea and a poster who had visited Dr. Lathkany was told to do 3 minutes stints of a warm, not hot compress. I have found throwing the rice bag in the freezer after my compresses is great for when I need a shot of cold. Somtimes I don't even put it on my eyes I will just lay it accross my face for my rosacea (which is not noticable but I have it). i figure cooling the face can only be a good thing.

As for the baby shampoo, I am palnning to start using one, but am looking for one that doesn't contain ingredients that are very iffy. I believe that Burts Bee's baby shampoo is a good one for this. After having Lasik I have some serious trust issues when it comes to many products.

Bernadette

Comment

Working...
                              X