Favoured method of expressing glands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favoured method of expressing glands

What is everyones preferred method of expressing their oil glands?
    prevention is better than cure, but not for eyes?

I think now doctors advice don't expressing glands. Myself i feel terrible when i do it.
    Last edited by Dog2012; 26-Feb-2015, 15:28.

Comment

Hi Bob,
      I use a warm compress for five minutes, then dip a Q-tip in boiled warm water, squeeze out excess, and finally press with the Q-tip at the lid margin all the way across the upper and lower lids. I used to roll my fingers, slide them, etc, but the skin was coming off my eyelids. Unlike Dog, I feel terrible if I don't do it. The glands completely clog.

Comment

Originally posted by Dog2012 View Post
        I think now doctors advice don't expressing glands. Myself i feel terrible we i do it.
        Then how are we supposed to get the thickened oils out?

Originally posted by LaDiva View Post
        Hi Bob,
        I use a warm compress for five minutes, then dip a Q-tip in boiled warm water, squeeze out excess, and finally press with the Q-tip at the lid margin all the way across the upper and lower lids. I used to roll my fingers, slide them, etc, but the skin was coming off my eyelids. Unlike Dog, I feel terrible if I don't do it. The glands completely clog.
        Do you mean you stroke it upwards or sideways?

Comment

I don't stroke, just press. That stroking business gave me eczema and red eyelids.

Comment

I don't stroke, just press. That stroking business gave me eczema and red eyelids.
            You just prod each one? I thought the glands extend about 1cm down into eye lid, so how does pressing near the top help?

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbdn4ezJL4U

Comment

That's a nice visual demonstration, but how exactly does one go about doing the same (safely) with the harder to reach upper lid margins?

Comment

Originally posted by MGD666 View Post
                  That's a nice visual demonstration, but how exactly does one go about doing the same (safely) with the harder to reach upper lid margins?
                  One of many unanswered questions . Maybe this forum should have a sticky with different methods of expression, pros/cons, links to videos etc? Seems such a common and important thing to have to hunt around for.

I noticed Dr Michael Lange mentions expression many times but I can't find any description of how to do it from him, he also says to massage while applying heat!

Comment

You just need to find out what works for you and experiment. Different things work for different people. When my Stanford eye doctor did expression, he pressed hard with his pointing finger flat against the edge of my eyes. My regular doctor uses a metal paddle, which I won't let him slide back and forth on my lids. I use the Q-tip for upper and lower lids, pretty much the same way as the video, but use the side of the Q-tip instead of the point. Whatever works for you. I'm sorry more people haven't answered you and hope that you will have some alternatives so you can choose what you would like to try. This method works the best for me, might not for you, and is my personal answer to your original question. Different things work for different people.
                    Last edited by LaDiva; 28-Feb-2015, 10:21.

Comment

You just need to find out what works for you and experiment.
                      That sounds dangerous, I'm all for experimenting unless I break something expensive.

Different things work for different people. When my Stanford eye doctor did expression, he pressed hard with his pointing finger flat against the edge of my eyes.
                      Did he roll his finger up? As I understand it you need to apply pressure at bottom of gland first, makes sense if you want to clear them (rather than get a bit out of the top?).

I'm sorry more people haven't answered you and hope that you will have some alternatives so you can choose what you would like to try.
                      I can't be only person wondering, seems a very important thing to get right. Would be a good topic for a sticky FAQ.
                      Last edited by justbob; 28-Feb-2015, 11:52.

Comment

My situation is a little different, but I am not a fan of expression. Tried it a couple of times, and had pain and inflammation that persisted a couple of days afterward. It is just too rough for me. Here's my version of lid massage, twice a day, and seems to work alright.

1. Apply a very warm washcloth over closed eyes for about 8 minutes. I just do this over the sink. Get it as hot as you can but don't get crazy and burn yourself. I don't apply it directly, actually lift it up every now and then, because it can get to be too much. You know what you can tolerate.
                        2. Then, take the index fingers of both hands, starting at about bony part of the eye socket, roll the index fingers upwards toward the lids. Imagine a rolling pin going over dough. Be careful not to pull the skin, just roll the fingers, keeping a fair amount of pressure. I go over the bottom and top lids about 5 times each, give or take.
                        3. Repeat same motion for upper lids, rolling downward.
                        4. Blink, let your eyes relax for another 5 minutes or so, then apply a cool, not cold, washcloth to closed lids. This takes down the redness a little bit from the heat.

You don't have to press super hard, and it never has worked for me to be overly rough, just firm enough where you can see a small amount of oil coming out.

Comment

Originally posted by No tears in ATL View Post
                          2. Then, take the index fingers of both hands, starting at about bony part of the eye socket, roll the index fingers upwards toward the lids. Imagine a rolling pin going over dough. Be careful not to pull the skin, just roll the fingers, keeping a fair amount of pressure. I go over the bottom and top lids about 5 times each, give or take.
                          Is your finger pointing upwards or is that sidewards rolling? Either way quite difficult to do into the corners (distance between bone and top of bottom eyelid is so small).

You don't have to press super hard, and it never has worked for me to be overly rough, just firm enough where you can see a small amount of oil coming out.
                          I never see anything, usually I can feel it though.

Does anyone know of any good expression tools/gadgets?

Comment

I tried using Q-tip, couldn't see anything coming out though, is that normal or am I doing it wrong?

Comment

I just use a q-tip on upper and lower. You need a powerful mirror though. Its crazy some days its so thick and oozes out other days (bad eye days) they are really clogged and nothing comes out.

Comment

Working...
                              X