X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acupuncture

Hello Everyone

My name is Lornée. I am a licensed acupuncturist in the Denver area. I received an e-mail from Rebecca requesting that I look at the threads on this and share my expertise.

I treat dry-eye due to many reasons such as side/effects from Lasik surgery, Sjorgrens, Menopause and other auto-immune disorders. The research is mounting and the success I have in my clinic is clear. Acupuncture Works!

I would be very happy to answer any questions you have in regards to finding a qualified practitioner, consults etc.

I am honored to be a part of this community. Thanks.

Lornee

im quite skeptical of it. but if it truely helps other people then all the more power to them.

welcome to the dry eye board.

Homes

Comment

acupuncture

I have always been skeptical about acupuncture too, because I feel like it is like aspirin. It takes the pain/symptoms away, but doesn't actually cure the problem. It would be great to know how it actually works - especially in dry eye cases. Maybe you could give us an idea, Lornee. Some of us would probably try it if we had an idea about how it can help.

It would be interesting to know if it could work for Trigeminal Neuralgia too.

Gaye

Comment

It would be interesting to know if it could work for Trigeminal Neuralgia too.
        Gaye, I had acupuncture perhaps 6 times this past winter. Eyes were the focus. It did nothing for dry eyes in my case. It may have temporarily helped the trigeminal neuralgia. I say "may" because I could not continue with the treatments. They are not covered by insurance and since I'm unable to work, I cannot afford to go for acupuncture any longer. For me, if my finances ever warrant, I would try again.

Lucy
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

by Lucy:
          They are not covered by insurance and since I'm unable to work, I cannot afford to go for acupuncture any longer. For me, if my finances ever warrant, I would try again.
          And in a nutshell, that's what it so often comes down to. There are many alternatives that I would like to try but cannot support it financially at this time.
          I had a great conversation with someone from this board awhile ago and was all revved up to explore alternative therapies. The intial costs were prohibitive so will have to wait.
          Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Gaye
            I have always been skeptical about acupuncture too, because I feel like it is like aspirin. It takes the pain/symptoms away, but doesn't actually cure the problem.
            But in the context of a chronic condition, I think pain management, as distinct from purely therapeutic treatments, is vital. The pain management techniques need not overlap 100% with the therapeutic treatments, when you consider it simply part of trying to improve your quality of life in the face of chronic pain.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

They might never find out "what" is causing my trigeminal neuralgia. It's from the lasik, I'm sure. I never had it before lasik or I've not been troubled with headaches in my long life.

However, if "they" never find the cause, I want relief just the same. It actually could be anything from a tumor behind my eye to "my imagination." I really don't think we will ever have final word on our outcomes in many cases.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Trigeminal Neuralgia/acupuncture

Lucy - It is interesting that you mention that you wonder if the Trigeminal Neuralgia is from a tumor or just your imagination, because that is exactly how I felt too. No one could really understand what I was trying to describe. The pain was like nothing I had ever felt before or had heard anyone else talk about. I actually had an MRI to rule out a brain tumor or tumor behind my eye. I wanted to try the acupuncture, but the frequency of visits I was told I needed and the fact that insurance would not cover it, made it prohibitive. At $70.00 per visit, three times a week, I just couldn't do it. Besides that, it was just too hard to take off from work to get it done.

Comment

I've had two MRI's too. One recently and one several years ago. I do know the cutting for the cataract surgery brought the pain level right to the top again.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Trigeminal Neuralgia

According to my Ophthalmologist/Neurologist, that is very common as he says the nerves in the cornea are linked directly to the Trigeminal nerve. My cataracts are small and not ready to be removed, but it worries me that when the time comes, it will set mine off again too. I really have had good luck with the Trileptal and don't know what I would do without it. It doesn't ever actually go away completely, but it brings it down to a level that is bearable and sometimes, I just don't even notice it. If I let my eyes get dry, it flares up.

Comment

ive made an appt. to see an accupuncturist here in england(york)who has had
                      sucess with treatment of dry -eye according to testimonials.this is in conjunction with chinese herbal medicine.had to wait 4 weeks for appt. as
                      the chinese doctor is so booked up.seemingly 2 hours are spent at the first
                      appt. with a detailed history,lifestyle,examination,etc.very reasonable pricewise as well .have checked this out and the practice has a good reputation.anyway im at stage ill try anything within reason to help this condition.i dont know about in america but medics in this country ,the ones ive seen,seem to think dry-eyes are a bit of a niusance!!i said to the last one try living with it you might have a different view.ill let you know how this goes.
                      all the best,graham

Comment

Best of luck with that, Graham.

We used to live in Sussex and our first landlady there used to get chinese herbal therapy for dry eyes and had very good things to say about it. Her husband is an optometrist so presumably she tried everything else.
                        Rebecca Petris
                        The Dry Eye Foundation
                        dryeyefoundation.org
                        800-484-0244

Comment

hi im prob doing acupunture nxt week for various things includung dry eye. I booked an appointment for next week, but i didnt ask about if they have experiance treating dry eye. i assumed they do a broad approach technique, will have to ask. but this may be like asking most eye doctors for help with dry eye..in the UK. which is not much fun.

Rebecca: i live in sussex (west sussex) where abouts did you live?

xxx
                          I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Good luck with that and let us know how it goes!!!

We lived in Haywards Heath. I really enjoyed Sussex and miss it a lot.

My office was literally right on top of the City Thameslink station in London, so when we first decided to move out of London (we were in a flat in Clerkenwell when we first moved over, till I had my baby) I just got a Thameslink map and started looking at towns near the stops so I'd have a decent commute....
                            Rebecca Petris
                            The Dry Eye Foundation
                            dryeyefoundation.org
                            800-484-0244

Comment

Question for Lornée

Can you please educate me on how acupuncture is used to treat dry eye? Where are the needles inserted? How often must one undergo treatment and when can one expect to see benefit? Is this approach palliative or curative?
                              Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Working...
                              X