Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low fat diets

Greetings friends,

I am writing to ask you whether you've had an experience with low-fat diets drying your eyes out.

I am following a very low fat diet to maintain low levels of body fat.

Unfortunately my eyes got drier, so I started supplementing with Theratears Nutrition daily.

Do you believe that measure is enough? I eat little pure dietary fat, maybe a tablespoon of olive oil, and few low fat animal products.

Thank you,

Cristina

It's interesting that you mention this. My dry eyes started after I went on a low fat diet and lost a lot of weight -- I was skinnier than I had been in 10-15 years. However, I don't know if this diet was necessarily a cause because at the time I was also 8 months post partum, breastfeeding, and wearing my contacts a lot. So, I don't know how much hormones and contact wearing affected my dry eye.

It's hard to tell.

Comment

hi tearless, and sorry to hear about your trouble!

I'm definitely not saying that the problem can be caused entirely by diet - mine is due to LASIK surgery. However, I am wondering whether eating fat other than olive oil or omega-3s, helps dry eye. Do "bad fats" also help? because these are the ones I gave up

I have lowered my body fat a great deal myself with the low fat diet, also by eating tremendous amounts of fruit and vegetables. I had tried low carb diets that some people here recommend, but I was feeling bad without carbs and they did not work for me. I am not sure whether my dry eye was exacerbated or not since then, but I do have persistent SPK.

Comment

Working...
      X