Cod Liver Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cod Liver Oil

Some of the people on this forum use Cod Liver oil as a treatment for dry eye.

There is a risk of infection but it is very small if you use high quality cod liver oil from known quality vendors, and you don't contaminate the bottle. It's best to pour a little oil out of the bottle into a paper plate or some other secondary holder and then put the oil on to a clean piece of tissue. That keeps the bottle clean and lowers the risk of contaminating it. That's just common sense.

I've read that simply putting a little on the eye lids and blinking a few times gets enough into the eyes to gain any benefits from it. I haven't tired it, but I'm thinking about it. If cod liver oil improved my dry eye only a small amount, using it with my Trufocals might improve my vision even more than the Trufocals alone. That would be nice!

If anyone use cod liver oil be sure to get the triglyceride form and not the ethyl ester (EE) form which has ethanol. Ethanol is not good for the eyes. It’s a by product of the EPA extraction. I believe Carlson’s and Nordic Naturals are TG forms. I don’t take Omega 3 fish oil if it’s been processed with ethyl esters. Putting anything into the eyes carries risk so please be very careful to avoid contaminated products. Everything must be sterile. If you notice any problems or issues stop using whatever you are using immediately.

Here's a link to a 1936 British Journal of Ophthalmology article on using cod liver oil as an eye treatment. Since this link isn't related to Trufocals, maybe it can stay up. Interesting. You can download the article in pdf format.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1142681/
    Last edited by jackolso; 25-Nov-2010, 16:29.

just wanted to bump this thread and the idea of putting cod liver oil directly in the eye using an eye dropper bottle. It is well known in the scientific community that in the presence of PEDF (pigment epithelial derived factor) topical DHA regrows corneal nerves. PEDF is found in human tears among other secretions

Comment

Can you point to any published studies about applying pure cod liver oil (sterile or otherwise) to the cornea?
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
      X