This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butyrate

Hello, friends! I'm inspired, through private correspondence with one of our heros, here, to ask whether anyone has followed the use of Butyrate (and related compounds) in the direction of stimulating goblet cells to produce more and better mucin.

This is an area of active research in gastrointestinal medicine, and one of the Big Pharma eyedrop companies once filed for a patent on the application of Butyrate to the ocular surface mucin challenge.

I'm looking for anyone who has either tried oral supplementation with Butyrate (in hopes of addressing ocular mucin deficiency), or put some focus into determining whether that makes good sense.

For what it's worth, this area interests me because of my growing personal appreciation for the effects of high-oncotic pressure drops (Dwelle and related) on the integrity of goblet cells and corneal epithelium.

If I learn anything in this connection, I'll post again. Miss you all, and think many times a day about our endless acts of heroism in dealing with our shared disorder. Happy 2011!
    <Doggedly Determined>

((((((Rojzen))))))

I don't have anything relevant to post but I saw your name and just wanted to give you a hug! Happy new year! Miss you!
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Hi, Rebecca, and I am bathing in those hugs!! Let 2011 be filled with triumphs and ever-growing hope for all of us. As for the Butyrate quandary, slow going so far. Discovered that there is or was a corticosteroid ophthalmic combined with Butyrate, used to treat allergy symptoms, but I'm more interested in what oral supplementation with something like Cal-Mag-Butyrate might do for us. So far, all literature I see is about colon implications and cancer preventives and treatments. . .but I shall plod on. . .In meantime, for those who follow the course of high oncotic pressure drop users, I'm still moisture chamber-free on Dwelle and FreshKote, and steady, steady, steady...
      Last edited by Rojzen; 10-Jan-2011, 17:58. Reason: typo
      <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

I missed you, too, Rojzen! Welcome back!

Thanks for the information; as you may recall, I am highly motivated to keep my epithelium in both eyes healthy, and I look forward to learning more about Butyrate.

--Liz

Comment

Working...
        X