Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best supplement to try boost tear production?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best supplement to try boost tear production?

I have dry eye. But a good tear film break up time over 10 seconds. My problem is I just don't produce enough tears. Anyone got any recommendations to a supplement that may help tear production? I take omega 3 fish oil and flaxseed oil already. But do these just improve the oils in the tear film? And not really boost tear production?

I have not heard of any supplements that boost tears--but please do let us know if you find one! Wow, you would think you wouldn't have any symptoms with a TBUT of 10s. Mine is 0. Have you tried accupuncture? It might help you. I would also recommend punctal plugs and lacriserts.

Comment

A TBUT of 10?!?! I'm so jealous haha. Mine is like 2-3

Comment

my tears are of a good quality its just I don't produce enough, 3 and 8 on the schirmers test. What would acupuncture do? I have just the last week tried lower plugs which have helped abit.

Comment

Hi Matt. I know you're looking for a supplement, but have your doctors mentioned prescription Restasis/Ikervis (ciclosporin)? It's supposed to address aqueous deficiency due to ocular inflammation.

I personally found fresh lemon juice added to strong green tea was a major turnaround that helped my eyes feel more moist, and I had both severe MGD and aqueous deficiency. Somehow I think the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of the lemon/tea combo gave my system what it needed to properly function. But for your system, you might need something different. It might be helpful to keep a daily diary of what you eat, drink, supplements, meds, exercise, etc. (making only one change at a time) and also note how your eyes feel each day, to methodically narrow down what makes your eyes feel better or worse.

Comment

I would be interested in Restasis but think its hard to get in the uk. And very expensive?

Comment

Hi Matt. I'm not in the U.K., but there are several posts from people in this forum from the U.K. on what's required to get Ikervis and the costs. Here's a recent post, perhaps you can get in touch with one of them if you have further questions:

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/forum...pital-opinions

Comment

Working...
              X